Skip navigation

12788 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2007 10:53 AM by RBultimate RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 28, 2007 10:56 PM (in response to sbbaseball)
    Re: Who's the most famous athlete you've met?

A bunch of us from neighboring rival schools would play pick-up baseball games John Elway and a few other future pros were regulars at these friendlies.  Last year, I played over the line with Mike Scioscia and Jeff Suppan. I also played a joke on Mike. My son's pitching coach played in the pros and is friends with Zito, so we get to hook up and play catch. Bret Baberie was my son's hitting coach. Steve Yeager and Mark Gubicza coached 8U baseball and I was their division rep.   My nephew got to play for both.  They were very nice coaches.

• sbbaseball Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    31. Aug 29, 2007 6:41 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

Did Larry have any good baseball jokes during the wiffle ball game?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    32. Sep 2, 2007 9:09 AM (in response to sbbaseball)

No baseball jokes but the boy can hit.

Michael S. Taylor

• TennisRich Expert 5 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    33. Sep 2, 2007 1:33 PM (in response to Trish18)

Besides chatting with Jack Kramer, a living tennis legend, on a few occasions, I had a business meeting with Goran Ivanisevic after he won Wimbledon. Very nice guy, spoke German, too.

Had an interesting meeting with Billie Jean King in 2002, where I was able to convince her to become the Honorary Chairperson for that year's big tennis fundraiser I was organizing for charity. That is one nice lady!

Ran into Steffi Graf in New York City in 1989 or 89 and had a nice chat with her.

Had Rod Laver give a tennis clinic to my group in 2003. Played with Pancho Segura once at Bobby Riggs Tennis Club in Cardiff. But - who hasn't?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    34. Sep 2, 2007 5:06 PM (in response to TennisRich)

I was involved with a WCT tennis event in 1980. It was a 100,000 round robin with some top players like Connors, Borg and a few others. I was in the hotel lobby waiting to transport people to the matches and Nastasie ?SP sat down with me waiting for his coach. A guy comes out of the bar drunk and ask him if he was one of those tennis guys. Never mind that he is holding a handful of rackets. He told him in his very thick accent that he certainly was. the drunk says he thought so but he wasn't sure which one. Nastasie told him he was Jimmy Connors. The drunk says he thought he was pulling his leg but was never corrected.

Michael S. Taylor

• Active Longhorn Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    35. Oct 9, 2007 8:34 AM (in response to Trish18)

It depends on whether you mean famous or famous because of sports...the most famous athlete I've met is George Bush Sr. (Yale baseball), but the most famous for his athletic abilities would be Majic Johnson.

• sylvainbauge Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 19, 2007
    36. Oct 9, 2007 9:57 AM (in response to Trish18)

I used to work in tennis so I've met Serena Williams, Amelie Mauresmo, Anna Kournikova, Richard Gasquet, James Blake, Andre Agassi, ...

I am good friends with NBA player Mickael Pietrus. I hang out with him once in awhile. I've met Chris Mullin who was on the dream team.

• TenaciousO Community Moderator 54 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    37. Oct 9, 2007 3:36 PM (in response to Trish18)

Shawn Marion was in my Communications 101 class at UNLV.

• RBultimate Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    38. Oct 11, 2007 10:53 AM (in response to Trish18)

i met Andruw Jones from the Braves! i think that was a pretty cool experience. i met him at an Atlanta Falcons football game and he was sitting right in front of me and ppl just started asking him for his autograph and i didnt even know who he was at the time.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...