Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

21134 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 5:37 PM by holtmoore 1 2 Previous Next
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 12, 2010 5:29 AM

SRAM or Shimano

Dear friends !

I am about to buy a new road bike (Scott CR1 Pro, Scott Addict R3 or Scott CR1 Elite) and I wonder which of the following sets are better:

1. Shimano Ultegra or
  2. SRAM Rival

Thanks for your opinions

Gunter

www.triatlonca.org

• Dougolas Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 8, 2010
    1. Dec 12, 2010 8:11 PM (in response to honguito)
    Re: SRAM or Shimano

As a bicycle mechanic of over 20 years and an amateur racer of about the same length of time I would recommend that you base your decision primarily upon which shift/brake lever fits your hand better. Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo all produce very nice systems that work well (when properly adjusted) and last a long time. The weight difference between comparable groupsets can be nullified with a few light weight component substitutions.

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Dec 15, 2010 5:50 AM (in response to Dougolas)

I agree with Dougolas on the fit angle.  They do vary and while they are all better than older models, well, in general anyway, they are different.  But you need also to consider ergonomics and performance.  I happen to think, for example, that my front shifter/derailleur combo for my 8 speed Dura-ace set up performs better than my 10 speed Dura-ace and 10 speed Ultegra (that I have on my cross bike.)   I think that the SRAMS, which I have test ridden numerous times is close to the Shimano and the shifting pattern with the levers is somewhat intuitive coming from Shimano but I could see how someone might not like it or prefer it over Shimano.  What I can't get used to, even on extensive test rides, is the shifting mechanism on Campy.  My pals who use it love it but while I think the comfort zone when riding the hoods is nearly spot on, the hand action required to press the thumb lever to be way out of wack. It requires an awkward movement, at least for me, pulling my hand back and off the hood to push down that lever. This is terrible ergonomicall speaking and consider I might want to do that action in the middle of a descent. I don't like the idea of minimizing my hand contact interface.

\

Some shop guys may try to sell you on the fact that one product is better due to the enhanced capacity to replace parts but I would say that fit and performance should outweigh that value as SRAM or SHIMANO or Campy are all well made products and last a long time.  As far as value, weight and performance, the RIVAL might be a great way to go but for me, I'm sticking with Shimano for now.  Also, for some of you, consider that if you have Shimano casettes and wheel hubs now, they will generally be compatible with SRAM and vice versa (but not Campy.)

Go to a shop and ask to test ride two bikes back to back with both shifters.  Then ride it making sure you come out of the saddle shifting up and down and up and down hills too.

GRF*

EJ

*Go Real Fast!

• onemoresnoopy Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 22, 2010
    3. Dec 22, 2010 8:53 AM (in response to honguito)

Have been a Shimano faithful for 25 years, 80,000 miles.

Mostly Ultegra, and one one ... upgrading to DuraAce through the years.

Switched to SRAM Rival last year on  a new Cannondale SuperSix, and LOVE IT. 2,500 miles later LOVE IT.  THe double-tap shifting has never mised, and works well. THE BEST THING is that the shifters pivot so on a screaming downhill I can firmly grip the drops while also holding the shifters, and then up shirt as needed without ever loosening my killer grip. LOVE IT

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Jan 12, 2011 7:00 AM (in response to honguito)

I ride Shimano on my road bike and SRAM on my mountain bike.  My preference is based primarily on the comfort with the STI shifters than performance.  The SRAM set up on the MTB seems more crisp but that is irrelevant to my roadbike performance.  Still the Shimano set up (105/Ultegra)has not let me down either.

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

• AlchemyRider Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2010
    5. Jan 12, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to honguito)

I am not a racer so I wasn't looking for the 'best performing' cassette and derailleur.  So like the other respondents I went for the best 'fit' - my personal preference for how the shifters and brakes work and feel in my hands.  I really like the SRAM Double Tap shifters.  Single lever for upshifts and downshifts and a separate brake lever.  I prefer this setup over the Shimano single lever for upshifts and the combination brake / downshift lever.  As for Campy my hands didn't feel comfortable on their hoods.

Whatever you choose I am sure you will enjoy your rides.

• Joepucci Amateur 37 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    6. Jan 13, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to honguito)

I have until recently, only used Shimano but after try SRAM on a road bike, I think that I prefer the SRAM. I've never really liked Campy. I wasn't sure about SRAM reliability but from what I hear, it's good.

That's my two cents.

________

Joe

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Jan 13, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Joepucci)

Joepucci wrote:

I wasn't sure about SRAM reliability but from what I hear, it's good.

Based on my MTB experience I don't have any issues with the reliability of SRAM components. I run the X-9 group on my bike and X-7 on my son's. In all cases everything installed nice and it is a snap to tune up.  I have never tried double tap shifting on even a demo bike so just have no idea what to expect. I'm in a groove with STI and hesitant to change.  Getting ready to build a full carbon bike and planning to go Ultegra just to keep everything similar on both bikes.  Folks that ride SRAM seem to really like it though.

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

Jul 9, 2007
    8. Jan 13, 2011 9:10 PM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

Well, there have been some thoughtful insights offered so far. Perhaps we should ask Lance.  I'm not positive but I believe he was the first winner of the TDF to use Shimano and may have been the first on the podium with SRAM.

Often around here we will say, "if it is good enough for Lance it is good enough for me!"

EJ

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    9. Jan 21, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to honguito)

Its a personal thing.  I tried different groupos and I prefer SRAM.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

Jul 9, 2007
    10. Jan 21, 2011 6:40 AM (in response to Moriates)

Of course Greg but what about SRAM appeals to you? I like their ads for example but would use those to get me to try the product.  Ergonomics, cost, replacement warrentees?  You have a shop owners orientation. What say you?  Keeping warm?

It is about 8F here. Just finished a ride, albeit a tad shorter than usual!

EJ

• Tom Stolzer Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2009
    11. Feb 8, 2011 9:54 PM (in response to honguito)

I think it's best to see what feels right to you.

For what it's worth, I enthusiastically bought a Shinamo group for my bike a few years ago and was very disappointed with the build quality as far as durability.  My brother who had a Shimano group at the same time had the same issues.  It seemed like something broke every time he went out on it.  I wasn't a Campy fanatic at the time, but bought Campy tp replace it, and I can say I'll never go back.  You can't beat Campy for quality and durability.  My Centaur/chorus mixed group works flawlessly and has been bullitproof.

Now, so many people (including pros) use Shimano, so it can't be bad, but my experience (and my brother as well) was negative.  BTW, my buddy just got a new bike, replacing his old one with 22 year old Campy stuff that worked as flwlessly as the day he bought it.  Seriously, I'm not one of those old "campy-only" guys, that has just been my experience.

I have no experience with SRAM, but I'd really like to try their stuff.

Jul 9, 2007
    12. Feb 10, 2011 8:16 PM (in response to Tom Stolzer)

Wow. I've been in and around a lot of riders and shops over the past couple of decades and I've not heard of intrinsic problems with Shimano and in fact the reliabilty has always been considered excellent. About the only issue I've heard of is getting the front derailleur to work when a chain ring set up was swapped to Compact drive.  Sometimes the shifting is dependent upon the construction of the frame or the dimensions as it is oriented to the rings and spacing. A mechanic can certainly explain this better than I.  The two examples cited above are unique to my experience. What were the problems specifically?

EJ

• Tom Stolzer Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2009
    13. Feb 10, 2011 9:50 PM (in response to MotiveForcer)

With my groupo, within 2 years the headset races became pitted such that when the handlebars were turned, they kind of locked in to a certain position; the cassette cogs wore down within 8 months so I had to replace them.  And I'm really anal about keeping my bike clean, adjusted correctly and lubed, so both of these were a shock to me.  My replacement grouppo (non-Shimano) was 14 years old when I replaced it and everything worked as well as the day it was new.

On my brother's bike with Shimano, a bottom bracket spindle broke, front deraileur broke and he had a few other parts that wore prematurely.

Like I said, so many pros and sport riders use Shimano that I'm sure it's good stuff; I hope our experiences were not common.  That was just my experience.  And when I'm paying for things with my hard-earned cash (unlike the pros), I want what will be reliable.  To me, that means Campy.

That siad, when it was new, it sure worked nice.

Jul 9, 2007
    14. Feb 10, 2011 10:06 PM (in response to Tom Stolzer)

That's a bummer. I don't know how much the set up orientation for the head set would come into play for that to wear out. I'm still on my original on my Felt F1C which is going on six years now and about 18 to 20,000 miles I'd say. My Merlin still is all original with the 8 speed Dura-ace gruppo and the only replacement there was my rear derailleur after probably 15,000 miles or more and that was only because there was a slight delay between the third and fourth cog and my buddy had a spare to give me (he's a nice guy and a great frame painter!) and that bike runs great. As I mentioned I even prefer the front derailleur feel of the 8 over the 10 speed (first edition) components.

I have had great success with my cogs. All Dura-ace. My Felt came with an 11-23 (another discussion I've written about on other threads here on Active) and while I do use other configurations for racing or hill climbing I've probably gone over 15, maybe 17,000 miles on that cassette. While I clean my bike dilegently and that as you know should play a role, I would not have expected a cassette to last this long.  My chain rings, 53-42 (another discussion made elsewhere on Active)  are the orginal rings as well.  Still smooth.

Sorry you had some bad luck I think and your sibling too.

As mentioned, I can't get over the ergonomics of the campy shifters but that is why there are options!

HEADS UP!
    EJ

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...