Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1049 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2010 7:33 AM by Dog-lover
heathcliffs34 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 13, 2010 1:43 PM

1 year marathon training program

I am a 23 year old from Chicago, and I want to run in the Chicago marathon next year. I've never run a marathon before. I have run seriously but off and on since high school. I recently started running a lot more, and more consistently.

What long-term training framework should I follow? So far, I've been doing all my running at the Boston qualifying pace (7:15 minute mile). I started with a 4-miler, and added a mile each time I ran. Today I reached a 13-miler. I plan to continue adding a mile to my successive runs and hope to be comfortable running a marathon in 3:10 around February. I hope this accumulation of miles at a constant pace will give me a good base to train off of.
Any advice on what the next step should be once I have the endurance to run a marathon in 3:10? I'm not looking to be a professional, and I know that is impossible for me, but I want to be competitive at Boston.
  • Coach Flynn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    1. Dec 15, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to heathcliffs34)
    Re: 1 year marathon training program

I would suggest hiring an online running coach.  I am trying to sell you, but it sounds like you would want an open communication with someone who can help.  Here is my website as an example, but there are plenty out there.  www.flynnrunning.com.

We can offer you an online training program that can change if needed.  Good luck and don't hesitate to email with any questions.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    2. Dec 16, 2010 7:33 AM (in response to heathcliffs34)
    Re: 1 year marathon training program

There are lots of very good training programs out there, Jeff Galloway has a training book out called "A Year Round Plan" that has some very good insight on training over a years period of time.  The thing to be very careful of is over training.  It sounds like you are training very hard, most training plans kind of govern you so you back off a little every 3-4 weeks so your body recovers but you don't lose speed or conditioning.  Good luck with your training, be careful and have a blast.  Marathoning is a gas!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...