Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

902 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2010 12:07 PM by runmore99 RSS
Rbrinkley74 Amateur 32 posts since
Sep 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2010 8:59 PM

Knee Brace/Support

A few weeks ago, I noticed while training for a half marathon (Jan) that I was having some knee pain. Not too tramatic, but to the point that I couldnt lift my heel up to my butt after a long run (sometimes). Not all the time this happened. It was like the allignment was off. I was soo upset. This is my first marathon, and I am determined. I have been searching the internet and asking tons of people about it. It is the inside of my knee cap muscle that is sore. No major swelling or anything. I was also having some hip  issues on the opposite side (left) and I figured that I was compensating for that. I got new shoes and was experimenting with different socks. All to no real answer and solution.

I took a week off (it sucked) and I iced, and rested the knee. I finally got back on the treadmill and it was okay, sore. Yes I know its not as good as being outside, but I had to do something. Then this last Tuesday I did 6 miles and it was ok. It is not as sore during my run, as after. I was attempting to pay attention to my style of running and noticing any that may help. I do run mostly on the sidewalk, and sometimes have to go up and down with the street turns. I also notice that after about mile 5 I "pound" the ground. I am not as graceful. I dont really do the heel to toe kind of run, it is more a flat foot pound. - could this be an issue.

Anyway, to get to the point... I have been looking around for a brace, to support my knee. I am a small person 5'1 104. I have a small knee. I can not find a support brace that is small enough for my knee that will be a tight fit to support. I have tried all my local drug stores. Nothing works.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions??  I am also going to see my Dr in the morning just to make sure, and so I can have a piece of mind knowing that something is either there or not. However I will be beside myself if there is.

Thanks for the help, and happy running.

Rbrinkley

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points