Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1839 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2010 8:56 AM by lachupa
JMCCPA Rookie 7 posts since
Nov 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2010 11:06 AM

Plantar fasciitis started with 3 weeks to go to first maraton, what to do?

Only 3 weeks before first marathon and my plantar ligament is painful, what to do?  Stop training?  Run through pain only on race day? I am icing and taking OTC anti-inflamatories. Any advice will help as I have trained hard for my first and would hate to miss it.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

Are you in pre-PF or full blown PF?  Do you fall down when you get out of bed?

If you don't have full-blown PF, get one of the knobby balls that are sold online and at running stores and work the heck out of the bottom of your foot, don't run but cross train and see if you don't feel better.

In terms of cross training, try an elliptical.  Similar leg motion, and far less strain.

Good luck.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Ezrida Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010

Hi

If I was in your position I would consult a podiatrist - maybe it is not Plantar fasciitis. I have plantar fasciitis myself for a few months now. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not always work for the other.

I am not training for marathon but I am running about 25 miles per week. I have found Taping very useful. Taping helps to relieve the pain, keeps your foot from getting injured again and helps you get through your daily routine and exercises. There is a good web-page explaining the subject in this informative website-

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html

Go to a podiatrist first.

Take care & Good luck

• lachupa Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008

Get to a podiatrist asap. Preferably one who is also a runner. I had PF a couple of years ago and ended up with orthotics. I made it through my first marathon earlier this month. There is not a shot of my having pulled that off without my orthotics.

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done, well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Doctor Who

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points