Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22206 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 7:39 PM by CKLindsay RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • tim/mary Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 30, 2011 7:46 AM (in response to 1974mom)
    Re: I must be the slowest penguin ever.

hmmm...if i slowed my pace, i'd be STOPPED!!!

mary

• All4Paws Rookie 2 posts since
    May 13, 2010
    16. Jun 13, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to d74323c)
    My friends and I have always joked that I can walk faster than I "run"....and that the only thing I would truly RUN after would be the ice cream man!  :)  lol.  I'm on week 3 of C25K program.  Feeling sore....have been reading alot about shin splints, overpronation, motion control running shoes, etc.  I'm very glad to see that there are others out there that are slow like me...that's the one thing I was worried about when signing up for a 5K: the last to finish....and being humiliated at the 70 year old gpa that passes me walking in finishing the 5K before me. lol. I'm also doing this to lose weight...I know I've lost inches, but nothing on the scale yet.  :)  Hanging in there!
  • slkolynn Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 21, 2010
    17. Jul 2, 2011 2:31 PM (in response to d74323c)

You may be second to me!

From age 33-43 I was morbidly obese.

I started "running" at 50- I am soon to be 53.

I have met all sorts of bodily adversity-especially when I try to increase my mileage.

BUT still sign up for thos 5ks and show up.

I run 2-3 miles a day and walk my dogs 2 miles.

My fastest finish was 35:15.

As noted by a previous commentator, my finish is faster that everyone who never started.

Here's to all penguins everywhere!

With one foot in front of the other, WE ROCK!

• mamacate Pro 90 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    18. Jul 10, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to DawnHMK)

LOL, I just ordered one of those shirts to train for the Princess Half!  There's actually a group buy going on over at the WISH forum on the disboards, so if you want one of your very own, jump in!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2747225

I like the disboard WISH site for a supportive group of Penguins (and non-penguins who understand), but the Penguin group on this board is also awesome.  And it's official, you're not the slowest penguin in the world, because you're faster than me!  But I'm getting faster so you'd better keep running too.

Cate

DLF>DNF>DNS!

Cate, 41, mom to 9-year-old boy-girl twins, one with autism/asperger's.

I'm running to be healthier, to care for myself, and to lose weight.  I am trying to be patient.  Being patient is not my strong suit.

"It's faster than the couch!"

First 5K 5/1/11, Derrill's Run, Easthampton, MA(43:18)

5K 6/4/11 Komen Race for the Cure Hartford, CT (42:49)

First 10K 7/4/11 Harvard Pilgrim 10K at Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA (1:41:47--ran/walked with a friend)

Thinking about Registered for the WDW Princess Half in Feb 2012...

• justwannafinish Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2011
    19. Jul 10, 2011 7:23 AM (in response to mamacate)

I am so excited to have found this board. I ran (ha!) my first 5k in June and finished! My goal was to do it in under 40 and I did, by 3 seconds! I am the slowest of my group of friends and they are very encouraging but it's nice to hear I am not alone! I am running a 10k in September and hopefully will be a bit faster this time. Good luck to you all!

Training for Mebane on the Move 10k 9/11

Completed:

Race for the Cure 5k  6/11  39:57

• SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    20. Jul 11, 2011 3:27 AM (in response to d74323c)

I have no idea what my speed is, because I don't have fancy tracking technology, and I run on my road.  I'm currently in week 3.  I'm doing a 5K on September 10th.

Honestly, I just want to "run" the whole thing. I'm thinking if I can do it 45 minutes or less, I will be happy with myself (well, 50 minutes or less... but 45 sounds better).  But hey, if it took over an hour, I'd still be happy to have done it!

I really don't know how fast I am, so maybe I really will do it in the half hour the C25K thinks I could.  But if not, oh well.    I'll have done it, and to be honest, the idea amazes me right now in week 3.

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• Dolliegirl Expert 53 posts since
    May 26, 2011
    21. Jul 20, 2011 7:06 AM (in response to justwannafinish)

You are not alone and that is a fine time you finished with. I have not broken the 5K, 40 min mark (which appears to be the holy grail of penguins, judging by what I have been reading). Well done and good luck with the 10K.

Dolliegirl

Big Bunny Fun Run 5K, Cupertino, CA 4/23/2011 41:34

Weight Watchers Walk It! 5K, Menlo Park, CA 5/22/2011 41:20

Santa Cruz Firecracker 5K, Santa Cruz, CA 7/04/2011 41:52

Wharf to Wharf 10K, Santa Cruz to Capitola,CA 7/24/2011 1:21:47

Trail Hog 5K, San Jose, CA 9/24/2011 55:11 (big, big hill! trail run. very hard! who knew?)

Waterfront 5K, San Francisco, CA 1/22/2012 43.47

Valentine Fun Run 5K, Campbell, CA 2/11/2012 45:11

She.Is.Beautiful 5K, Santa Cruz, CA 3/25/2012

Big Bunny Fun Run 5K, Cupertino, CA 4/07/2012

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    22. Jul 23, 2011 7:42 PM (in response to d74323c)

Funny, while doing the C25k I was always very slow, even after finishing, to this day I have slow timing, but I've done 2  5K's and my times are 36:37 and 33.36, the last one I was 30 seconds away from the top 10 in my age class (and I walked at least 90 sec due to stomach cramps ).

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• Theresa'sTime Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    23. Aug 28, 2011 11:50 AM (in response to d74323c)

I am sure I am the slowest penguin as I am starting TODAY!!!  Today is my birthday, and two weeks ago my youngest left for college.  With two kids in college now and both my husband and me needing to get in shape, we are starting RIGHT NOW!  My son showed me your website, and I am excited for fitness and feeling good again.  After years and years of taking care of everyone else, it is time to start paying better attention to ME!  Thank you all for the motivation!

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    24. Aug 28, 2011 5:52 PM (in response to Dolliegirl)

Love the comparison Dollie - I am not under 40 minutes and content.    Enjoy the posts on this thread, and the clever quotes.  In search of the Holy Grail and hope to find that in the coming year.......5k under 40 minutes and conqueor a HM.   Until then, I will waddle on in anticipation of surpassing my personal goals...

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

• dksv01 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
  • Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    26. Sep 24, 2011 2:10 AM (in response to d74323c)

It is great to know that there are other slow runners entering races. At times, I think I am the slowest penquin ever but I just keep waddling on hoping that they don't turn the timer off before I cross the finish line.

I finished second last in my first race and well just a few places better in my second race. As for my next race, I will most likely be last, judging from previous results but I am entering anyhow. Someone has to be last and it might just be my turn to be last.

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

• WakefieldJess Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    27. Sep 14, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to d74323c)
    I must be the slowest penguin ever.

I am returning to running after the lapse of 10 years since highschool and labor day weekend did the Disneyland half marathon (that I was very underprepared for) in just over 4 hours... if you do the math I probably could have walked it just as fast (which I did the last almost 5 miles). But I did it and that was the goal, and had a ton of fun! now I want to do even more... but with more training next time. Just be proud you are out there, cause millions never even make it that far, and you can only improve!

• Golden611 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2011
    28. Sep 15, 2011 5:28 AM (in response to d74323c)

Dear Slowest Penguin:

I am totally laughing at your post, not because you are slow, but because I thought that you were talking about me.  When I started running in October of 2010, I told people that I run like a snail.  I was running at a 12:30 minute mile.  Then, over the next three months, I was upgraded from a snail to a turtle.  Then after six months, I was running under the title of "mock turtle speed."  However, while still running under the turtle title, my time, speed and endurance were increasing.  My first 5k was 34:00, my second 5k was 29:17, my third 5k was 27:00 and my recent 5k was 26:21.  I thought that the 8:30 minute mile was pretty good.  However, I finished in 297th place out of 826 runners.  However, I was still glad that I could run a sub 9:00 minute mile.  For the life of me, I do not know how people run faster, however, over time, I see how it is possible.  From my owe personal experience, the fact that you are running and sticking with it, speaks volumes.  Do not worry about your time and speed, as it will surely improve.  Just keep doing what your are doing.  Whether you run a 6 minute mile or a 15 minute mile, you still burn off the same amount of calories.  Keep running.

Your friend who is still running at "mock turtle speed"  

• turtle731 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2011
    29. Sep 15, 2011 6:57 AM (in response to d74323c)

Being last in a race is not for sissies!

It takes considerable emotional maturity to run your race at your own pace and find ways to enjoy it instead of berating yourself the whole time when the hordes thundered past at the start line and disappeared out of sight.

I had that experience in July in one of my first races (the first race I ran that was all runners, no walkers). Once everyone else left me in the dust I decided to look at it as just another solo run, enjoyed it and finished faster than I had expected. I kept reminding myself that someone has to be last, and why not me?

Last weekend I ran another race in the same series - similar distance and terrain - and this time I passed 4 people!! And they were all at least 20 years younger than me (I am in my 50's and according to race results they were all in their 20's and 30's).  So 2 months of training has really paid off. But the greatest reward was seeing how much I have improved against myself - over a minute per mile faster than my time in the July race! (And I found a downside - one of them finished 5 seconds behind me - and hearing someone else's heavy breathing behind me was definitely NOT as peaceful as being the lone runner at the back of the pack!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...