Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48815 Views 324 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 11:58 AM by Debbie215 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 22 Previous Next
  • AllieRuns Amateur 21 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Dec 31, 2010 8:41 AM (in response to AllieRuns)
    Re: Starting C25K 1/1/11! Who wants to join me?

ps. Erin and NursingStudent: I am an Oncology RN (16years) and am working on my MSN/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner in Oncology...estimated graduation date 2014. Ugh and sigh.

Allie

• ShutterHappy Amateur 32 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    16. Dec 31, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to AllieRuns)

Allie... this was me 6 months ago. I am 4 years older, but was 43 pounds heavier on June 15 than I am today. I joined WW that day and began walking. I am so much happier today and actually like myself again. You can do it! If I can lose the weight, you can. WW rocks and I believe this program rocks also, so you are on the right track!

Lorie

May 30, 2009
    17. Dec 31, 2010 1:26 PM (in response to ShutterHappy)

Shutter. Thanks for the encouragement. Today I walked for 60minutes. On track for ww so far for today. How long did it take you to lose the 43#? How much were you exercizing! I am INSPIRED!

Allie

May 30, 2009
    18. Dec 31, 2010 1:33 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

oops! Shutter i see now you said JUNE. so that is GREAT! 43# in 6 mo. If I can be down 40# in 6mo I would be beyond HAPPY. I am glad to know that it is a reasonable GOAL. I see you said you are in Louisville. I went to middle school and part of high school there! Small world!

Allie

May 30, 2007
    19. Dec 31, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

It took me exactly 6 months.  I started off walking 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Sometimes would do an hour, sometimes 30 minutes. After first 3 months, got crazy and only walked about 2 days a week and tried to lift weights one day. Now I HAVE to make exercising a priority!  Signed up for a 5K and am making myself do this.

In June I was looking at having to move up to a size 16 pants.  I refused and started WW. I have been wearing a size 10 for a month now.  Today at Target, a size 8 fit me.... I was so ecstatic!!

6 months isn't that far away.  You can be looking good for summer. You will feel so much better.

Lorie

• jimbeam34 Amateur 27 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    20. Dec 31, 2010 1:42 PM (in response to christiewa)

My plan is to start tomorrow as well.  I am a 29 year old cancer survivor.  I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer this past August and was treated in September.  I am not so sure I should be doing the C25K plan based on my current level of fitness.  I have been working out on the elliptical machine for 1:15 minutes a day usually 4-5 times a week.  My pace is about 68-73 RPM.  I am struggling to figure out exactly where to start with my running training.  Can anyone offer some advice? 

I signed up for a sprint triathlon in July and the Chicago half marathon in September so I already have my goals set.  I am very excited to get running.

• runnerb445 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Dec 31, 2010 5:47 PM (in response to christiewa)

I am in for 1/1/11.  I started c25k this summer but quit at week 7.  I have always wanted to be a "runner" and 2011 will be MY year!!  I am 46 yo medical professional, married 22 years with a college freshman. My ultimate goal for this year is a marathon in October with Marathon Makeover.  My first 5K will be in March so.......time to get RUNNING.  And no stopping this time!!

• michelle2011 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    22. Dec 31, 2010 11:14 PM (in response to christiewa)

My name is Michelle and I'm in...starting tomorrow.  I'm 42 years old, three kids 19, 17, and 14.  I promised myself I would do the Susan G. Komen

race on Mother's Day for my 40th...didn't happen.  I've watched 3 women in my life battle cancer in the last two years and I'm healthy,

so it's time to get off the pot and make it happen!  I have issues with my right knee, so following a training program should help me build

up gradually without further issues.  I live outside of Pittsburgh, so a combo indoor/outdoor training is a must.  I also adore heat yoga

twice a week, which I highly recommend...you feel like you've climbed a mountain!  So glad I found a group to keep me accountable.

• Meg0317 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    23. Jan 1, 2011 12:07 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hi I am hoping I can join in!!

My name is Meghan and I am from the Boston area. I am 26 years old 5'6" and weigh about 230 pounds. I have started this once before but had to stop 2 years ago when I herniated a disk in my lower back. After two years of physical therapy, spinal blocks and finally surgary to correct the disk I am finally healthy enought to start exercising and my doctor is recommending I join this program. I also take after my father's side of the family and have seen him go through a lot of problems developing diabetes and struggling with his weight and overall health. I want to stop this before it gets any worse. My goal is to start this C25K and keep going in my training to hopefully run a 5K and beyond. My 27th birthday is March 17th which will be around the end of the C25K program. With diet and excerise I hope to be down 20 pounds. I really hope I can get some inspiration from joining in.

Good luck to everyone and I will begin on Monday 1-3-11

• walking2run Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010
    24. Jan 1, 2011 8:11 AM (in response to christiewa)

My name is Lisa and I'm a cofirmed Couch Potato!  I would like to join you in the C25K.  I used to be very active, then I had some health issues that prevented me from exercising.    That was several years ago and I'm all healed up and am ready to get back at it.  I've never run before and will need encouragement  So, how do we get started?

• jimbeam34 Amateur 27 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    25. Jan 1, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to christiewa)

Well I promised myself I would start today.  I'll be honest not the best of conditions:

• 15 Degrees feels like -1
    • 17mph winds gusting to 34mph
    • Calves hurt from downhill skiing 4 days ago (skiied for 13 hours and didn't ski for the 10 years before that)
    • Stomach is a bit upset (got the last of the bad food in and some beer, wine & champagne.  New YEar's Eve was my 3rd anniversary)

But with all that said, I made the commitment to start a 5K training program and today is the day!  Wish me luck!

• GunaRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    26. Jan 1, 2011 8:45 AM (in response to christiewa)

I would be glad to join. I started couch to 5k finished very slow pace but finished. I havent ran/jogged in 4 months now would like to do it again. Im 42y/o and 230lbs. I will hit treadmill after work , cause at the moment Im offshore

May 30, 2007
    27. Jan 1, 2011 10:18 AM (in response to christiewa)

Happy New Year to everybody and good luck to all those starting today!!  Hope everyone feels well enough to jump in today. 

I am so happy we have so many and hope we all stick to it! It is only 9 weeks!

Lorie

• nivrat03 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    28. Jan 1, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to christiewa)

I would love to join you all. I am starting C25K for the first time on Monday. I am in North Florida and plan to do most running outside. I get bored on a treadmill. I am very excited because I have been telling myself for a really long time that I need to do something to lose 60#. It's time for the excuses to stop!!! LOL I currently practice taekwondo and am on schedule to get my black belt in August. I want to be the best black belt I can be and this program can only help with that.

• IWannaGetFit Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    29. Jan 1, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to christiewa)

Well, it seems like a good a time as any!  How do we do this?  What distances to start with??  I can do a 5k without losing a lung, but that's my max right now....

I am 36 with 2 small children and not a lot of sleep.  I live in San Diego, so weather can't be my excuse!  :-)  Funny, I always seem to find something to bump the workout off my schedule, but no more!  This is MY year to lose the last 10 baby pounds and have more energy and be healthier for the kids.  I want to be a good example and you ladies are inspiration.  Mornings are likely the best time to hang out with the treadmill...but ugh, it's MORNING.  Any words of advice on how to drag self out of bed?

1 2 3 4 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points