Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49490 Views 324 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 11:58 AM by Debbie215 Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Previous Next
  • jennyrb78 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jan 3, 2011 8:11 AM (in response to ShutterHappy)
    Re: Starting C25K 1/1/11! Who wants to join me?

Thanks for taking the time to lay everything out like this.   It is an awesome idea.   I love reading everyones post.   I feel so motivated, just hope i can keep the feeling .    I can't wait to get home this afternoon, hop on my treadmill and begin W1D1.   I have the C25K app downloaded on my Ipod and I am ready to go!!!

• besbreck Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010
    61. Jan 3, 2011 9:01 AM (in response to christiewa)

I want to join, too!  My name is Barbara and I live in Northern Virginia with my husband and two kids (7 and 5).  I'm 40 and have started and stopped this program several times.  I got up to week 7 during the summer and then went on vacation, came back, school started, and I never got going again. I was running by time and I realized I would never finish in the half hour or so the program gave.  I guess I'm pretty slow.  Slow and steady wins the race!  So, to give me a goal I've signed up for a 5K in mid-April.  I'm determined to lose the 30 extra pounds I'm carrying around.  I'm hoping this forum will help me stay motivated, too!  I'm a stay-at-home mom.  I do a lot of volunteer work and I have a bunch of home improvement projects that I'm working on, so to give me time, I'll be running in the early morning, which will be a challenge for me to get up early.  So, tomorrow morning will be my first day, again.

Barbara

• GetInShape2011 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    62. Jan 3, 2011 9:07 AM (in response to christiewa)

I'm in!  I started C25k on New Year's Eve.  I'm 29, live in Vermont, am married with 3 kids (ages 6, 5, and 4 months), and work as a teacher.  I'm not overweight, but still have extra baby fat that I'd like to get rid of.  Most importantly, I want to be in shape.  I'll be using my treadmill most of the time as it's hard to get out of the house with a baby and too cold to take him with.  I'm signing up for my first 5k in March!

• ShutterHappy Amateur 32 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    63. Jan 3, 2011 9:09 AM (in response to christiewa)

For those that are giving additional information such as names especially, I will wait a day to get as much as possible then update the list. I am glad you guys think it helps.. It is definitely a cheat sheet for me. I think I am going to arrange it in alphabetical order, though, as this is just the order people joined. If I missed anybody, please let me know.

Ok, questions about meals and southern cooking.  ha ... I am from Pensacola, FL and though Florida is not usually considered a normal Southern type state, that is FloraBama area, so I get the southern food.  I did stop typical frying of foods, (like fried chicken, etc.) But when I make a recipe like chili or something I add up all the ingredients and figure out the points based on the whole shebang. Then figure out how much I think is a serving. I have added up all the weights of can, veges, etc to guesstimate the total amount. Then I take the total amount of points and divide it into however many servings on in the pot.  I do a lot of guesstimating now, but in the beginning, I was strict. I have been known to scoop out a cup of food at a time into a different pot, to figure out how many 1 cup servings are in a recipe. ha The WW site has an awesome recipe builder online if you have that, it is a great help and does all this work for you!

I am not a stickler for all healthy guidelines. Am going to try and be better this year. But I do rely on processed foods and eating out quite a bit. I just factor it in. I know what is good to eat at many of the local places.

Gotta run to gym... with daughter.. will check in and answer more in depth when I get back.

Lorie

Lorie

• LSUnUTMommy Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    64. Jan 3, 2011 9:33 AM (in response to ShutterHappy)

LOVE IT! You are awesome! I am Sarah and I am from Baton Rouge, LA. I am starting my running today and doing it MWF. I am so excited to be doing this with everyone! Hooray!

"Pain is temporary. It can last for a day, an hour, a week, or a year but it will eventually subside, but quitting lasts forever!"

- Lance Armstrong

"I don't care what you can't do. I want to hear what you can do!"

- Walt Disney

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    65. Jan 3, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to Mommy2Ema)

It's so great seeing how many people have joined in this thread!  Sandra (Mommy2Ema), your post is exactly what my experience has been in the past.  I tend to try and do too much and throw myself into things so full force that it's inevitable I'll burn out or lose interest.  This year I'm committed to changing my approach and remembering that I don't have to do everything at once (or at 300%) and in fact, that it's healthier and more enduring in the long run to go slowly, but consistently.

While I'm at a healthy weight, I do need to be more fit (when I work out, it tends to be sporadic), and starting an active program is definitely part of that.  I work long hours doing event planning, but I'm not using that as an excuse anymore.  More sleep, more activity, more energy in 2011!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• eusebius24 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    66. Jan 3, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to christiewa)

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to make Lorie's list a little longer My name is Erika and I just did W1D1 this morning.  I live in frozen Ontario so I did it on a treadmill.  My hope is to get back outside once I've finished C25k/the weather gets better/I've lost a bit of weight and can fit into my outside running clothes again.

I am 42, married with a 7-year-old daughter.  In the past I have done C25K a few times, once even going so far as to run a half-marathon.  I trained for it with my daughter, then 2, in a running stroller.  This past year has been horrendously difficult work-wise and I put on a whole lot of weight.  In the fall I joined Overeaters Anonymous and am now doing WW as my plan of eating.  I managed to get through the holidays having lost 5 pounds and I'm now keen to keep the trend going.

It is great to have this group here for support and thanks to Lorie for making the "cheat sheet" - I hope I can keep everyone straight!

Thanks for listening,
    Erika

• LizTrot Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    67. Jan 3, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to christiewa)

Count me in too!  I'd never heard of this C25K until my brother told me about it this past Saturday.  My name is Liz.  I'm 50 years old and have a 28 year old daughter and 14 year old son.  I know absolutely nothing about running, but want something to help me stay focused.  I have been exercising (lightly) every day since November 27th and my goal is to work out every day for a year, but I need some type of program or I will fall off.  I've always been impressed by runners but never thought I could find the amount of time they seem to spend since I, like so many others work a lot and have limited free time.  I am currently working out at 4:30 in the morning because I couldn't see where the time would come from my day, but I'm already seeing that I will be able to find more time as I become more involved .  I'm getting shoes this week and plan to run inside until the weather/light improves.  I live in Olympia, WA where we don't have terrible weather luckily.  My son and brother are planning on joining the program as well.  Actually, my brother ran for the first time yesterday so he has already begun!  I will be doing the 1st day tomorrow.  Thanks for all the support and LOVE the cheat sheet

• JakesMomma Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    68. Jan 3, 2011 1:05 PM (in response to christiewa)

Wow, there are a few of us ladies from WA on here, that's pretty exciting!  I actually started on W3D1 of the C25K plan on Saturday, so I have done W3D1 and W3D2 workouts on Saturday and this morning.  It's been in the 20s outside at night and I have to get up at 4 am to fit in my workout.  Between working full time, husband in school and a 17 mo old son to take care of, this is the only time of day I can guarantee I will be able to get a workout in.

I am thinking about deviating from the program a little.  I would really like to get my workouts up to 30 min. so I may add an extra rep in of the walk/run cycle.  While I am a little sore from the runs, it hasn't been anything too bad and I just feel like I could be doing more than I have the last 2 days, you know?  I plan on running M,W,S with strength training/yoga on the other days so that I am doing some sort of physical activity every day.

It's so exciting to see so many people coming together to take care of themselves and support each other.  Congratulations to all of us for making the huge decision to start this program!  You all rock and I can't wait to get to know everyone better!  Keep up all the good work!

• cypressmom Amateur 13 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    69. Jan 3, 2011 1:13 PM (in response to christiewa)

Hey there wonderful support team!  I finished W2D1 today...and thought I was going to die! But I did it.... and now have a ton of energy after the nausea wore off !

The extra 30 seconds is a little rough, but for those of you Week 1's hang in there...you can do this!  Even though I'm only 1 week ahead... i promise!

We'll get there!

Jennifer

Mom of 3...Cypress, TX

2011 Running a 5K by May

and a 1/2 Marathon by the end of the year!  

• AllieRuns Amateur 21 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    70. Jan 3, 2011 3:05 PM (in response to christiewa)

Lorie,

Thanks so much for putting all of that together!

Hi!! It's Allie! I worked 12 hours shifts Sat/Sun so the only exercize I did was running around the hospital. BUT I did complete week (1) of WW and W1 of C25K and am HAPPY to report I am 1.8# lighter!!! Yay me!

Just finished W2D1 on the treadmill and am getting ready to make a healthy dinner with my 12 points I have left for today. Pasta with Spicy Chicken Sausage and a salad! Love that I can have anything as long as I watch portions. Keeping track of the points online really keeps me in check! (so far).

Last year when I was 10# slimmer (but still 25# overweight) I was spinning 4x a week and in pretty decent CV shape...not so much now. Running has always been a challenge for me...I find it so much harder than spinning. Partly because of my body type (curvy gal with short legs) and partly using muscles completely differently. None the less I have always wanted to be a "runner" SIGH. I WILL FINISH this program!

lol.

Have a good night and HAPPY RUNNING!

Allie

• ShutterHappy Amateur 32 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    71. Jan 3, 2011 3:24 PM (in response to AllieRuns)

Great job to all those that got their work out in today! 30 seconds added doesn't sound too bad, but I am worried about it for tomorrow also. We will see!

Today, I did the elliptical with my daughter. I told her I didn't know how long I would be able to do it, but was hoping on 30 minutes. After 5 minutes, I tapped her and told her this was hard. She started laughing and told me I was going backwards. Ha ha. I have done that thing many times and knew the first 5 minutes were hard, but that was even harder. I switched and it was much better! Did the full 30 minutes.  Actually intentionally went 5 more minutes backwards later on. ha I then did lower body weights since I did upper body yesterday.

Came home and made a pot of chili for supper. And began updating all the new info. everyone has added to here.  I understand about jumping into things all gung ho and getting burned out. I tend to give new projects my all and often slowly fall off. After being successful at WW this past 6 months, I have really realized how awesome it is to stick with something .. slow and steady does it!  I also tend to stick with it if I commit to someone, so this is my way of doing it.

Allie.... I think running around so much on the hospital floor counts for some exercise!

Natalie.... keep your chin up and your eyes on the prize. For so long I would always put myself down. I just didn't like myself or what I had let myself become. No one else really knew how unhappy I was. And on June 14 when I said I was starting WW the next day, I know my family was smiling inside, thinking "here we go again". Well, now they really are smiling and they all have no doubt I can finish this program. I have proven to them and to myself what I can do.  I actually am liking myself and am learning how to take a compliment! I WILL run a 5 K and so will you!

Lorie

• zooflute Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    72. Jan 3, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to christiewa)

Hi everyone!  I'm new to running, and I started the c2K5 on Monday as well. I'm 42, 5' 4" and 180 lbs.  I'd like like to lose the insane muffin top

that pops out above my jeans.

I've tried to take up running before, but my feet and shins would hurt like crazy the next day, so I'm hoping this program

will help me pace myself better.  So far, I've only been alternating walking normally and very briskly.  It's also helping the dog.

Before, she would start galloping when I would try to jog. Maybe if she's with me as I gradually build speed, she'll know how

to keep pace with me.

Anyone else primarily walking the first week?

• jimbeam34 Amateur 27 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    73. Jan 3, 2011 6:14 PM (in response to ShutterHappy)

Shutter Happy,

Thanks for your (edited) description of me.

Mbeutler1203

29 year old Thyroid cancer survivor (!!!!!!!)

In good physical condition as has been doing elliptical machine for 1:15 min a day 5 times a week at about 68-73 RPM. Not sure if C25K is right program. (I am guessing can go faster than rest of us) Signed up for a sprint triathlon in July and Chicago half marathon in September

Let me just clarify two points:

1. I only get one exclamation point (!) for being a cancer survivor.  I'll earn an extra for every year I am a cancer survivor
    2. Speed doesn't matter, it is all about getting the the actual finish line of the race or the finish line we have made up in our own heads.  For me it is about weight loss and being as healthy as possible.

I am so excited that I am a part of this group and am looking forward to each of us helping each other out.  Best of luck to everyone!

If you want to learn more about me check out the following!  I post regular updates to both.  The Tumblr page is going to be mroe focused on fitness and health and the Caringbridge is dedicated to my cancer story.

• jennyrb78 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011
    74. Jan 3, 2011 6:15 PM (in response to christiewa)

I just finished W1D1 and I am so proud of myself for making it!!!!!   Mommy2Ema hit the nail on the head in post #59.   I am so excited this support group keeps growing.   Great job everyone and keep up the good work!!!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points