fldogwalker Pro 68 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2010 9:40 AM

USAT Draft Legal Triathlon - only of it's kind in the country

I thought this was interesting..  Tri and Run Sports

USAT Elite Championships
          Streamline Events  to Stage Draft Legal Triathlon in Florida

Streamline  Events is excited to announce that it has expanded it's 2011 triathlon series to  central Florida.  The Draft Legal Challenge at  Clermont, staged 20 miles from Orlando in Clermont, FL, will take place on  March 5, 2011.

The  event founded by Jarrod Shoemaker, 2008 U.S. Olympian and USA Triathlon  National Team member, is the first age group draft legal triathlon in the  country. Shoemaker explains, "for the past couple years, I have been working to  create a draft legal race for age groupers.  There is no race like this in the  United States and I am excited to bring this event to Florida.  Draft legal  racing is a thrilling event to race and to watch. For the athlete it is constant  effort and an exciting race experience. For the spectators they will be able to  constantly cheer on their friends and family."

The  race course includes a 750m swim (1/2 mile), 20km bike, and a 5km run. Both the  bike and run legs will be on looped courses that are completely closed to  traffic in Lake Louisa State Park.

What's  more, the event has been selected as the site of the 2011  Elite Sprint National Championships.   Some of the best triathletes in the world will compete for significant prize  money - a $30,000 prize  purse sponsored by USA Triathlon.  In addition, the event will host the host the  2011 ITU  Pan American Triathlon Confederation North American Junior  Championships.   The most talented junior athletes from the United States, Canada, and Mexico  will compete in the draft legal sprint distance race.

Age  group racers can opt to take part in the draft legal race or the standard non drafting race. 

Streamline  Events will manage the event in conjunction with the USA Triathlon National  Events team.  Streamline's director Bill Burnett said, "we are honored to  be part of this exciting big time event.  There's been a lot of talk about  staging an age group draft legal race and I am excited to help make this  happen."

The  age group draft legal race field is limited to 75 men and 75 women and is  expected to draw athletes nationwide.  Product prizes will be given to the top  three overall men and women in both the draft legal and non-drafting race.  In  addition, all age group athletes will be offered an opportunity to take part in  a clinic hosted by Jarrod Shoemaker the day before the race.

For  more information about The Draft Legal Challenge at Clermont go to www.draftlegalchallenge.com

We  look forward to seeing all of you in the heart of Florida to enjoy some sun,  warmth, and good competition in early March.
Happy Holidays!

Jarrod Shoemaker
Bill Burnett

Streamline Events also produces  the Cohasset Triathlon, Nantucket Triathlon, Marlborough Triathlon,  and the Scituate  Duathlon.

"Enter a race.  Train to become faster and stronger.  Honor the commitment. Reap the rewards." - me

http://triandrunflorida.com/

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009

I was out there last Feb doing some rides and getting away from the snow. The Clermont area is actually pretty hilly although I suspect a course near/around Lake Louisa would be pretty flat. Personally, I'm not a big fan of draft legal triathlons (and I come from a bike racing background). I can sit in on a peloton and save 30% of my energy verus cutting through the air on my own. Triathlons, to me, are about how I can push myself to better performance. Drafting adds a whole different tactical aspect to the race (not that there is anything wrong with that).

BT

• slambiase Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 1, 2008

Wow! That sounds pretty cool. Keeping the distance from other bikes in a tri is one of the hard parts. I feel it slows me down sometimes if I can't pass someone.

Serena

Girls Gone Tri, LLC

www.girlsgonetri.com

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009

I look at it this way, if I am overtaking someone I am clearly going faster so why sit behind them? Yes, it conserves energy but you are now going slower than you were. If I pass you, I would get annoyed if you sat in my draft so I will want to leave you behind. Unless you come out of T1 with someone who rides exactly the same speed as you, you will pass and/or be passed on the course. You might have to increase or decrease speed a little if you are overtaking someone and can't make the alloted time to pass. Once you do, then it is the overtaken rider who needs to drop back.

BT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...