Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1531 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2011 11:30 AM by JasonFitz1 RSS
heydock3678 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 31, 2010 9:09 PM

Interpretation of VO2 Peak / Max results

Here are my stats:

Threshold / VO2 (ml 02/kg/min) / VO2 % Peak / Heart Rate (bpm) / Heart Rate % Peak

Post Warm-up / 7.4 / 13.1% / 104 / 56.2%

Aerobic / 42.1 / 74.5% / 164 / 88.6%

Anaerobic / 48.3 / 85.5% / 171 / 92.4%

VO2 Peak / 56.6 / 100.0% / 185 / 100.0%

Recovery:

1 min: 158 (34%)

2 min: 142 (54%)

Male / 32 yo / 5' 8" (173 cm) / 143 lbs (64.9 kg)

Resting Heart Rate: 55

Running/Treadmill test with mask/gas analyzer

CardioCoach by KORR software

Tested after a 4 hour fast because I also did a resting metabolic rate test at the same visit.

I am complete numbers junkie (read: major nerd).  I have been wearing my HRM pretty consistently for every workout for at least a year.  I have no idea what it all means, but learning about it has been a lot of fun.  My last half-marathon was in April 2010, and I finished that training cycle in all kinds of pain (primarily IT).  I've never really gotten back to 100% in terms of durability, and my overuse injuries continue.  So, I am looking into some low heart rate methods that the ultra guys (and gals!) at my local running shop espouse.  My hope is to be able to avoid an early reinjury by starting at a slower pace than I have used in the past.  A longer term goal is to improve my half-marathon time and possibly run a marathon in the next few years.  My very long term goal is to keep running for at least the next 40 years.

I would love to get some insight from the group about what they see in my VO2 test.  If I have a question, it relates to the (apparently) high Aerobic HR as a % of peak.  The evaluator of the test said that it was too high, but he didn't do a good job of explaining to me why.  He said that I want to lower the threshold to create as much space as possible (in terms of bpm) between AeT and AT while keeping the VO2 at AeT the same.  I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't understand.  I think I know why I want a high VO2 Peak, and I think that I understand why I want my Anerobic Threshold as high as I can get it.  Why do I want a low Aerobic Threshold?  Seems like a high threshold is good, and what I would want is a higher and higher velocity at a given heart rate below that threshold.

If you need more info, there is a decent chance I have it.  Just ask. If you just want to compare VO2 Max, post your results.  I think it would be fun to see how we amateurs stack up.  I also thought about posting on a cycling forum because those folks tend to be very informed on these topics, but I am sure there's enough brain power here.  Happy New Year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points