Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2154 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 6:09 PM by jusbecuz RSS
real03fan Rookie 7 posts since
Jan 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 4, 2011 11:40 AM

It is too easy to stop after 2 miles

I have done 4 5k's since October 2010 my times have been coming down, my pace is 11:34/mile. I run 12-15 miles a week but lately I find it is easier to say " Well the truck is right there" and call it quits. My wife & I are presently trying to step it up a little as the 5K season in South Florida is in high gear.How do I stay interested? It seems like it is easier to talk myself out of it lately. Would changing up my running location, or run away from where I parked help.

Is there a way to control my breathing I am not out of breath just winded after 2/miles? Trust me I enjoy running  it just seems left brain is working against right brain & winning.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Jan 5, 2011 10:54 AM (in response to real03fan)
    Re: It is too easy to stop after 2 miles

Take a look at the threads on "How do you people run continuously" and "BREATHING," both on the Newbie board.

Good luck,

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jan 5, 2011 12:04 PM (in response to real03fan)

I think that everyone experiences that from time to time. Personally, there have been quite a few times that I want to walk, call the wife to pick me up, whatever. Then I get thinking about why I started running in the first place, about my goals, my body before running and the kind of life that I want to live. Those things have always kept me going. And, to this day, I've never regretted going out on a run. I've also never regretted pushing through when I wanted to stop but I'm pretty darn sure that I would've regretted stopping. Though I don't always enjoy the act of running, I'm darn glad I'm a runner. Hang in there 03fan!

BTW, in all honesty, the only reason that I'm checking this site at the moment is because I'm stalling -- I need to do a long six today and getting out the door is hard today,

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    4. Jan 5, 2011 12:09 PM (in response to real03fan)

A problem with staying interested is something I experience from time to time. Finding a new running route helps a lot. Also, developing new running goals is another way to stay interested. Maybe you can work on training for a 10k or concentrate on increasing speed.

Sometimes it's the little things. If I'm really bored, I try to add a new album to my iPod and listen to it during my run, or a podcast. And yes, running away from your car and back is ALWAYS an option.   I do this when I'm lacking motivation to go the distance. Good luck!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Jan 5, 2011 2:26 PM (in response to real03fan)

I would suggest that you not just go and run every day.

Set out a plan for running. Tell yourself you are going to have a day during the week when you run intervals; or hill repeats. Have a day when you try to run as close as you can to race pace, while having other days when you just have a run. Start to incorporate a little more distance.

In other words give yourself a diet of many types of running. Change up the course. Make a game of it trying to run to certain spots by beating a time.

Some people here swear by cross training. I would but there is nothing else I want to do -- so I don't.

But having a plan is the key -- especially if you are a goal orientated person. if you are not -- a plan is needed too.

I am in week 11 of an 18 week marathon training plan. If I did not have goals each week to meet it would be very difficult to get out there on some of these cold windy days. The plan and the goal keep me motivated.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    6. Jan 5, 2011 2:59 PM (in response to skypilot77)

I agree with SkyPilot77 about having a goal and a plan.  A plan holds you accountanble, and a goal makes you want to put in the training and succeed.  Pick a race, and go find a plan on runningworld.com -- the computer does it all for you.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jan 5, 2011 5:45 PM (in response to real03fan)

If you're winded after 2 miles you're probably running too fast.  Slowing by 15 - 20 seconds per mile can make a difference.  And of course, being winded gives you a great excuse to stop.  Amazing coincidence, isn't it.  Seriously, what gets you out the door in the first place?  When you finish mile 1, what makes you continue for mile 2?  The same incentive can keep you going for mile 3, and 4, and . . .

Len

Len

• jusbecuz Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    8. Jan 5, 2011 6:09 PM (in response to real03fan)

I was having a similar issue, no matter what distance I tried to run, I was exhausted when I got to the end, and often times wanted to quit during the run or want to walk.  I just received a Garmin 205, and on Sunday decided to take many peoples advice on this board and slow my pace down and just run.  I normally run around 11:30mm for 5ks (slow I know), so on Sunday I purposely ran at a 12:30mm pace.  I had no course in mind and figured I would run until I started to get tired, or wanted to quit, and then head home.  I hit mile after mile and felt great the whole time, breathing, legs, and brain were all in sync.  Around 3 miles out, I figured I should start heading back so I didn't over do it, and ended up running 6.2 miles.  I have never ran over 4 miles previously, and usually struggled on my 2 & 3 mile runs.  I ran 3.1 miles yesterday and started out at the 12:30 pace, and it was a great run as well, I won't say that it was easy, but I never wanted to quit and wasn't tired.  My first mile averaged 12:16, 2nd 11:44, and 3rd 11:07.  So although I thought I was running slower, my run was actually faster than I usually run, and my body and mind responded much better.  I have only been running for 6 months, but this seems to be the key for me at this time, hope this helps.

RUNNING DOES NOT BUILD CHARACTER, RUNNING REVEALS IT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points