Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6288 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2011 11:30 PM by LemonaidLucy 1 2 Previous Next
sk8_bike_run11 Rookie 6 posts since
Jan 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2011 10:16 AM

BREATHING!

Hi everyone! I just started the C25K program this week. I have tried to run a few times before but never really knew how to get started. This program is absolutely awesome because its teaching me how to slowly become a runner and I am sooooo excited to see what I can do! But my purpose for posting is my breathing!!

I don't know the proper breathing technique for jogging/running. I read a couple articles online and I tried to apply them to my runs but my breathing always ends up all over the place! I know that part of the problem is that I'm new and I need to give myself time to learn how to breathe, are there any techniques that you guys recommend more than others? and also are there any breathing excercies I may could do at home? Thanks in advance guys!!

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you've never done"

First 5k:

Run Like A Girl  5/7/11

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    1. Jan 5, 2011 10:38 AM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)
    Re: BREATHING!

I vaguely remember someone on the board giving some great advice.  Inhale while taking two strides, exhale while taking two strides. Seemed simple enough to explain and I actually thought about it while running and it's a pretty natural way to breathe.

Hope this helps!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 5, 2011 10:40 AM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

I don't think that there's one correct way to breathe during exercise, it's likely different for everyone. Just make sure that you're not hunched over when running and let your body feed itself as it sees fit. Also keep in mind that, if you're just starting out, you probably haven't yet put in enough miles to develop a rhythm. Once you build up your runs to 2+ miles, you'll experience your body falling into it's natural rythm and breathing won't be as much of an issue. Keep it up and congrats on the start!

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    3. Jan 5, 2011 10:45 AM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

Great advice Basscycle. I would also suggest not to think too hard. If you think about it a lot, then you'll get frustrated, frazzled, and anxious and yes, you will breathe more sporadically.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    4. Jan 5, 2011 10:47 AM (in response to Dreamstate)

Do what comes naturally, keeping in mind that generally you want to be able to talk while running.  2-2 is good because it is natural.

I remember reading an article in the 80s stating that a 3-2 breathing pattern (breath in for 3 steps, out for 2) was linked to fewer injuries.  I tried that for a while, but it's not natural and takes too much attention to maintain.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jan 5, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

I had the same problem when I first started running ( it's alot better now) and tried and couldn't follow any technique so I breathe in out of my mouth and if I my ears could breathe I would use them too.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    7. Jan 5, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

This is all great advice.  I'm a big fan of doing whatever works.  I noticed when I first started running that various things would hold me back from doing what I thought I should be able to do at different times. So one time it was that I couldn't get enough air (i.e., too out of breath).  Next time it would be my butt muscles, then next time it would be my thighs, so on and so on.  I think as you move through the process, either your muscles or your breathing will hold you back at different times and then your body recognizes the problem and moves to fix it.  After working through a process very similar to C25K, after 3 months I can now run continuously for about a mile, but then my muscles get very pooped out so I walk a little and then start running again.  The breathing seems to be fixed now. I was told that I should try to breathe in through my nose and then out through my mouth, but I have broken my nose a couple of times and can't get enough air in through my nose only so I use my mouth, too.  Let me know if you figure out the ear thing, too -- I'd go for that.  My trainer also worked on my form so that I run with my core (abs and butt) tight, head up, and generally very upright with my chest expanded (that's what I call it) -- basically not hunched over. The first time I did that, my abs were sore for several days, but it helps a lot.

Good job getting going -- you'll love it.  I know I feel 10 years younger and most of my aches and pains are vanishing.  It's great and you do get to a point where you don't have to concentrate so much on form and it becomes kind of meditative.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    8. Jan 5, 2011 2:17 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

retiredgirl61 wrote:

I was told that I should try to breathe in through my nose and then out through my mouth,

Good job getting going -- you'll love it.  I know I feel 10 years younger and most of my aches and pains are vanishing.  It's great and you do get to a point where you don't have to concentrate so much on form and it becomes kind of meditative.

Breathe in through your nose only?  Holy cow, that's bad advice (and I've heard a lot of bad advice over the nearly 30 years that I've been running).  Oxygen is essential to running, so you want as much oxygen as possible.  The best way to do that is to open your mouth!

Don't worry about your walk breaks.  Keep at it and you will soon be able to run with fewer and shorter -- and eventually no -- walk breaks.

And learn to love the feeling of sore muscles -- that shows that they've been working and are rebuilding to be stronger.

Good luck and have fun!

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    9. Jan 5, 2011 7:50 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I agree that the first priority is to get enough air but I can also see the benefits of breathing in through your nose as much as possible -- it warms and moistens the air.  But I definitely am a mouth breather and I would also use my ears if I could make it work.  Actually, I have seem some very fit runners breathing in (and out apparently) through their noses so it must work for some folks.  Again, I say do whatever it takes.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    11. Jan 5, 2011 9:00 PM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

Speaking of breathing...Has anyone ever come across the breathing techniques that Bill Bowerman taught Steve Prefontaine? I was just curous about those...

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    12. Jan 6, 2011 5:52 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Breathing through your nose is bad advice?  Well I breathe through my nose on easy paced runs.  (Mouth breathing dries out my mouth and makes me feel thirsty, especially in cold air).  If I pick up the pace, I start breathing through my mouth when it becomes necessary without even thinking about it.  Obviously anyone who isn't getting enough oxygen will automatically start breathing through their mouth - its an instinct.  And that goes for breathing, period.  I don't spend a lot of time analyzing how I breathe when I run.  Once you get into condition then breathing while running should be comfortable most of the time (although intense intervals will leave you breathing very deeply.)

Almost all beginners come here with the same question: "How do you breathe when running?" as if there was some magic answer that is going to make it easier.  The only thing that makes it easier is time and conditioning. My answer to "How do you breathe while running?" is "in and out".

• MMNY Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    13. Jan 6, 2011 5:56 AM (in response to sk8_bike_run11)

I ran casually for 20+ years and always used the 2-2 (in 2, out 2) method.  I found I could go faster (2 - 3 mi), but for short periods of time, or go far(5 - 13 mi), but it was a struggle.  I started reading the running forums and found many references to the 3-2 method (in 3, out 2). My running endurance, distance, speed and enjoyment increased immediately when I switched to 3-2.  I ran my first marathon after training using 3-2.  I firmly believe I would not have been able to complete the marathon without the 3-2 breathing.

Here's one of the links I read it on.  (http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/breathing-during-exercise).  I figured if the military uses it, it has it's merits.  I am not a military person myself.

Google "3-2 breathing" and you can read many articles on it.

What I found was:

1)  Slow your pace down for a week or two until you get the technique down.  Stick with the pace.  It will become natural after a period of time.  You will stutter step at times; I laughed at myself a few times because it was like learning to walk again.

2)  When you exhale, exagerate your exhale to ensure you expel as much CO2 as possible when you exhale.  Don't go crazy, but make sure you emphasize the exhale.  CO2 is the bad stuff that builds up quickly if you don't manage it and it will cause cramps, dizziness, tingling, etc...  My feet start tingling during running if I don't breath correctly.

3)  Stick with it, even when you are tired, you may even be able to recover using the 3-2 method.  During long runs I will sometimes slow my pace and focus just on breathing to get my energy back.

4)  Using the 3-2 method, you automatically alternate your inhale starts from left foot to right foot which may help reduce side stiches and cramps.  The 2-2 method causes you to always inhale on the same side.

5)  Temporarily switch to 2-2 if you are running up a hill, then get back to you 3-2 rythmn.

6)  One more thing, breathe through your mouth not you nose.  I used to inhale though my nose, out through my mouth until someone pointed out, your mouth is the biggest hole on you face for a reason!

I used to run a few months, then get a pulled muscle due to cramps and have to rehabilitate for a few weeks each time.  This stopped when I switched to 3-2 breathing (yeah, it's that effective).  The first few times I tried it and did it properly, I ran my normal routes and felt like I could have run all day.  I was able to increase my short run from 2.5 - 3 miles up to 6 - 7 miles. My long runs are now 10 - 15 miles.

Good Luck!

Love to run.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    14. Jan 6, 2011 6:07 AM (in response to MMNY)

Coming back here to say that obviously I am the minimalist on this forum as far as I believe in keeping things as simple as possible when running.  I don't do complicated stretching routines.  I don't monitor my HR.  I don't analyze my breathing patterns (OMG, I cannot run while thinking about 3/2 or 2/2 breathing patterns!  The few times I tried that I nearly hyperventilated!  I am a very uncoordinated person and that just doesn't work for me.)

When I say KISS (keep it simple, stupid), I am speaking from the point of view of the casual, recreational runner.  That includes most of us here, although there are some competitive runners among us too, I know.  Lots of times I will get shot down with people giving lengthy explanations of how to do things like breathe.  In that case, of course, the OP is free to take whatever advice he/she thinks best suits their situation.  Some people might like to know how to count their breaths while running - other people like me just want to run, enjoy it, and do what comes naturally.

Anyone who reads my posts know I like to:

1. Keep it simple

2. Listen to my body (although I will argue back sometimes!)   and

3. ENJOY running!  If you don't love it, then there is no point....IMO

HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYONE! 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points