Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

954 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 7, 2011 2:13 PM by hlwilliams17 RSS
MLD925 Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2011 2:03 PM

possible stress fracture...how long to recover?

Hello!

I'm new to running. I just started running at the gym in November. I started off slow, adding 5 minutes to my walk each week until I built up to 30 minutes straight running. I was feeling really good and loving running (which surprised me) and signed up for a 5K at end of Jan. BUT...it seems I may have been overzealous as I'm schedule for an MRI on Monday and the Ortho thinks it is most likely a stress fracture or pulled muscle (hamstring on the front part of leg) or possibly both. I'm not allowed to run, walk on the treadmill, basically nothing. I'm completely bummed and realize I probably won't make my 5K now. I'd like to shoot for end of Feb.

How long is recovery from this time of injury typically? I'm chasing around 2 little children all day so I don't get many opportunities to sit & rest, which I know is the dr's advice.

Thanks!

Maria

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 7, 2011 2:13 PM (in response to MLD925)
    Re: possible stress fracture...how long to recover?

If it is a stress fracture, you can expect to be out anywhere from 4-8 weeks.  Possibly longer depending on where it is and how severe it is.  Ones in the upper leg and pelvis tend to be the ones that take the longest to heal unfortunately.  The foot and shin are usually the easiest.  If it is a stress fracture, your 5k in January is most definitely out and I wouldn't count on February.  After returning from the injury, you will have to build up very slowly again in order to not re-injure yourself and not even necessarily the stress fracture again but possibly another injury due to coming back too fast. 

If it's simply a strained muscle, your January 5k is still probably out (you might be able to run/walk it depending on how severe it is) but you'd want to ask your doctor.  A February one would probably be OK as long as you are well healed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points