Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3057 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 9:56 PM by nikkicarr1
nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
Apr 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 6:04 PM

Post marathon deflation

I have been running for about 2 1/2 years now and love it.  Dec 5th I ran my first Marathon RNR Las Vegas, and for days maybe even a few weeks I was on a post marathon high- infact started looking at 2011 events to plan out all my race events (did not register for any at this time due to the altered mental status).  I did decide that I would give myself until after the holidays to rest and relax before getting back to training.  I started back to the gym last week but did not hit up my normal spin or yoga classes and I still have not run....I just feel deflated, is this normal?  I miss running but am lacking---I know once I get back out there I will be fine but just getting out there is UUUggg!!!!  Even got my new shoes staring at me.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,413 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 9, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)
    Re: Post marathon deflation

It's not unusual.  Like any big event, there's an emotional buildup going into it, and a letdown after it's over.  Setting new goals helps, but there is often no easy way around it.  You just have to jump back in and get on with things.  Easier said than done.

Might as well find out how those new shoes work.

Len

Len

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    2. Jan 10, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to nikkicarr1)

Sign up for a race. Give yourself a deadline to work with.  That helps.  Coaches say to always have a plan in place before the race. this can help combat the post marathon blues.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• occdoc4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 4, 2011
    3. Jan 10, 2011 8:33 AM (in response to nikkicarr1)

The same happened to me. Big high for a couple of weeks, and then crashed....my deflation lasted almost a year. I continued to run but my heart was not in it. Signing up for an event and having something to look forward to  got me back in track.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    4. Jan 11, 2011 10:28 AM (in response to nikkicarr1)

Totally sign up for another race!!  I usually have several races picked out before I even do the one I'm training for and then I sign up as soon as registration opens for those particular races.  It helps me stay focused.  Then I can take a little recover time after my marathon to rest and recover knowing in the back of my mind when I need to start my next training cycle.  This way about the time the post " race high" leaves me I'm focused on starting my next training.

Good luck and sign up for another race if you love running!!

Have a blast

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    5. Jan 11, 2011 12:45 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)

I ran CIM (Calif Int'l Marathon) the same day.  I gotta admit, not running afterward was easy.   And I noted that my first recovery run about 5 days later took a lot of will power and I struggled to push myself to run the full distance.  Even on my Christmas morning run, I found it hard to push through the feeling that I just didn't have it today and should call it good.  Two things that have helped me was the fear that I would lose all the benefits from my training and have to start over.  I also developed a hernia and will now have to take a few weeks off, so I am now motivated to get back into training mode to not lose any more than I have to before surgery.  Secondly, I have picked a "come back race" to train for, a half.  While training for the marathon I knew how many weeks I had till the race and felt like slacking off for a week would jeopardize the race.  So I am trying to get the same mindset without having to have the training dominate my schedule like it did for the marathon.  I was fortunate to have other marathoners warn me about this.

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jan 12, 2011 5:26 AM (in response to Bill80027)

It is normal, I still get the blues after a big race.  But I start back running on Wed or Thr the week after, just easy running for a couple of weeks then pick my next event.  Good luck!

• jjones282 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010
    7. Jan 12, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)

You sound like a seasoned runner, and like you I just completed my first marathon. Mine was the Philadelphia Marathon Nov 21st. 2010. You seemed to have answered your own post. All you have to do is get out and get running again. I was fortunate enough not to have any injuries after my marathon, 2 weeks rest and I was back at it with a Feed the Hungary Holiday 5K. Due to all the marathon training i knocked 1:13 seconds off my PR. Since then I have signed up for every event I can attend in my local area. There aren't usually a lot of runs offered this time of year in my neck of the woods, but having events to go to have kept me running after the marathon. Good luck, get those shoes on, and get out the door.

• Gunner4Life Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 7, 2011
    8. Jan 12, 2011 2:13 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)

I have done two marathons so don't figure me as a seasoned veteran.  However, I hit a big high and then a unreasonable low after my first one, much like the situation described in this thread.  So for my second marathon, I scheduled a 10K three weeks after the marathon even before I had run the Marathon.  This helped me get past the low and get focused on running again.  It wasn't an easy 10K as I still felt some effects from the Marathon but training and running in it definately got me over the hump....

-Geoff

2009 Grandfather Mountain Marathon

2010 Grandfather Mountain Marathon

2011 Palmetto Half Marathon

2011 NC Downhill Half Marathon (Scheduled)

Miles in 2011 = 316

• Martrese Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    9. Jan 12, 2011 3:56 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)

This has been my situation ever since my first marathon in 2003. I run a marathon every fall and go into hibernation for the winter. I've come to accept that some time around January/February, I'll start getting the itch to pound the pavement once again. After a couple of spring half marathons, I'm ready to go for the next round of training. I wonder how well I'd handle doing a spring marathon, too, forcing myself to run through the winter. Maybe it's better with the break. I try to see the time off as a good rest.

• karey67358 Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    10. Jan 13, 2011 1:28 PM (in response to nikkicarr1)

I didn't run a full, I ran a half in November and I'm having a tough time finding my running mojo again.  The cold weather isn't helping.  I'm going to sign up for a race later this spring and see if I can con trick convince one of my friends to do it too.

I keep justifing my shorter runs with things like, "It is good to take some time away."  "It is SOOOOO cold, I'd likely have an asthma attack." (haven't had one in about 15 years)  So I just need a kick in the pants too.  The commitment of money tends to do that for me.  I hope you find a way to work through your slump.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...