Skip navigation

686 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 10, 2011 12:30 PM by drmiles85 RSS
MRGIBBS Amateur 26 posts since
Jul 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Calf/Achilles pain--to run or not to run?

I am training for my first IM event June 2011.  I have been working on my base for 6 mos.  For the last 30 days, my left calf/high achilles has been tight and achey.   Oddly it feels better during exercise.  I have tried inserts for pronation, stretching for tight calves, and nsaids for inflammation.  I really dont want to lose any ground on my training.  How much time off would ensure healing and give up the least in the endurace I have already acquired.  Any other suggestions?    Will it go away eventually?

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 10, 2011 12:30 PM (in response to MRGIBBS)
    Re: Calf/Achilles pain--to run or not to run?

Went through that a couple years ago training for my first tri (a 70.3).  I was told I tried to build too fast (quite possible) and needed to slow down.  I took about 8 days completely off from running and got back into it slower than before.  Stretching before and after a run, solid warmups and cooldowns, and ice were my biggest changes (I wasn't good at any of these things before my injury).  Haven't had muscle problems since.  Remember that you'll have a much better chance to finish the race if you show up to the start line.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points