Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1961 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 1:54 PM by PaulaHelker RSS
PaulaHelker Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 11, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2011 9:55 AM

Garmin 305 and calories

I got a forerunner 305 as a christmas gift and I love it. Calories however seem wrong compared with my Polar (which has no gps though). So I got to the garmin website and they say the 305 is not using heart rate to calculate calories, while other models like the 405 do. That kinda spoiled the fun. Any way to fix this? A software update, a magic website, anything?

Paula

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Jan 11, 2011 12:20 PM (in response to PaulaHelker)
    Re: Garmin 305 and calories

Don't sweat the details.  None of the devices does anything more than give you an estimate of total calories burned.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• rebeccabag Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    3. Jan 11, 2011 2:03 PM (in response to PaulaHelker)

Hi Paula,

I'm a biologist and a runner, so I've been reading a lot about calories estimation. Heart rate alone won't cut it - there is too much variability. The most accurate methods are still based on heart rate, but need your VO2Max as well. There are several ways to estimate your VO2Max, some must be administered by a professional, others can be carried out on your own.

That said: I got a garmin too, and even newest models are not using VO2Max; they ask for your activity class, which is a sort of training level. I guess they somehow convert that into a VO2Max estimation.

There is a website that I discovered months ago in this forum, where you can upload activities from your garmin, and they will do a calories estimation based on heart rate and VO2Max. I like that I can also see a chart of my calories along distance or time. Take a look, they have other unique features and it's totally free...

www.sportietech.com/studio

• JaneGoodwin Amateur 4 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    4. Jan 12, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to rebeccabag)

I'll second that: if you use a garmin, sportietech is the place to go. Discovered the website months ago and became an instant fan. Today they added VO2 statistics and charts - that's something I've been looking forward for a long time. I use their integration with garmin connect, so I can even review my past activities in the sportietech studio and get all the new goodies

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jan 12, 2011 9:22 AM (in response to JaneGoodwin)

I think it is close enough for a good estimate for me, but I never used that part anyway.  I look at it Sat after a 1/2 that took 1:49 with 30-40 mph wind I am 5-9 50 year old male about 158 lbs and it estimated 1650.  I think that is fairly close.  The only reason I did it Sat my daughter was playing with hers, she is a 5-6 female 19 years old about 112 lbs she ran it in 1:49 also and her was 1100.

• DavidPatterson88 Amateur 7 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    6. Jan 12, 2011 11:46 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

+1 for sportietech.com: they got the best charts, the speedmap, the most detailed activity report on the net, and it's free. hope they get out of beta soon...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points