Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1220 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2011 1:33 PM by Vin Camacho
davejjk Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 17, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2011 9:37 AM

2 marathons in 3 weeks - training advice?

I ran Disney 1/9/11 and am registered for ING Miami 1/30/11.   I took a few days off to recover than started back with 4 miles @ 15 seconds slower than pace, followed by 11 at pace (8:15).   Muscles and cardio feel great, tendons are a disaster.  Tips for the next 2 weeks of training?   Any harm in taking 1 or 2 weeks off before another 26.2?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jan 17, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to davejjk)
    Re: 2 marathons in 3 weeks - training advice?

I did this last Fall - Marine Corps followed by Philly.  I did run between the two but nothing fast or particularly long.  Note that I'm not as fast as you are but I'm not sure that's relevant.  Take a look at the link below (Hal Higdon) and check out the "Two Weeks Between" section.  (I think that's more where you're at than "Four weeks between".)  Read it carefully.  Note he says to concentrate on recovery, that you won't improve your fitness.  Rather do what you can to recover, while still doing some running.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/multiple/Multiplemara.htm

BTW, it worked for me.  Philly was a good bit faster and more relaxed at the same time.

Len

Len

• Vin Camacho Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    2. Jan 17, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to lenzlaw)
    Re: 2 marathons in 3 weeks - training advice?

Ice those tendons. I did this last year. I made the mistake of not letting the inflammation go down b/w the two races (over reaching a bit). It made it a lot less enjoyable. It's definitely do-able, just pay attention to how you feel.

"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old becasue you stop running"

Take care, Train hard and Train smart. Sincerely, Vincent

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...