Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3114 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2011 2:11 PM by Cindyd32
JennJablonski Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2011 6:37 AM

Music without earbuds or headphones?

I looked all over to see if anyone had asked this and couldnt find it anywhere. I am registered for a few races that do not allow earbuds or headphones, I have trained with music almost all of the time. Any suggestions what I can do to still have my music but not break the rules?? Thanks so much

• DadtoTwins Pro 55 posts since
    Mar 17, 2009
    1. Jan 19, 2011 7:22 AM (in response to JennJablonski)
    Re: Music without earbuds or headphones?

Sing to yourself? Sorry, I couldn't resist. No, seriously, you should give it a try without any music. You would be surprised how much better it is. Without the distraction of music, you really get to pay attention to your breathing and how you are feeling.

PR's

Run the Quay 5k, 6/4/11, 24:34

Tobacco Road Half Marathon 3/20/2011, 1:52:19

• Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    2. Jan 19, 2011 7:34 AM (in response to DadtoTwins)

Is this your first time racing? I ran this past weekend without any music and I found that all my focus was on the race. If I had earbuds, they probably would have been off honestly. If you need music, maybe play it from your phone? lol, I guess your phone would need to be extremely loud!

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• Jovanitta Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 17, 2011
    4. Feb 17, 2011 1:13 PM (in response to JennJablonski)

I know this sounds awful, but is the no headphones rule really enforced? I'm running my first half soon and I've done the with and without earphones. I like it better with! Will they get confiscated? Can I wear just one?

• EndoRunnerGuy Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    5. Mar 8, 2011 6:49 AM (in response to Jovanitta)

That's what I do. Run with a single earbud and I dont think the race organizers will complain. I do agree that having your motivational tunes does help, but plenty of people run without any music. I can get away with no music on a "shorter" 5k local run. But anything in the marathon range, yeah..... I need my tunes. Sorry. 

• Cindyd32 Pro 64 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    6. Aug 1, 2011 2:11 PM (in response to JennJablonski)

I have heard, but not verified this.  you can run with headphone unless you plan on placing in the top, if you place and use headphones you would get disqualified.

CindyD32

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...