Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1497 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 20, 2011 9:50 PM by crl8686 RSS
kdogcony Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2011 7:22 AM

Treadmill C25K training (input needed)

So I started an Iphone C25K program while on vacation in California, it was awesome running W1 with the great weather and beutiful scenery.  Unfortunatley my vacation came to an end and I had to come back to the cold east coast where I am attempting continue my training on the treadmill in my local gym. I CANNOT run outside in the cold, I get sick waaay to easy. What I decided to do was set the program on the treadmill to random (this makes the incline go up and down during the whole session) with a difficulty setting of 3.  I figured this kind of makes up for running on a treadmill. Does anyone have any opinion regarding this method of training.  Am I wasting my time?  I have never been a runner (it terrified me when I was in the military), I weigh about 265 and just quit smoking last year. I currently redoing W3 for the second time (got sick over the holidays) My current pace is 3.6 for walking and 5.7 for running. Does anyone have any tips for training on a treadmill?  I don't want to wait for the weather to get better to run.

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 20, 2011 9:50 PM (in response to kdogcony)
    Re: Treadmill C25K training (input needed)

Don't worry, you're not wasting your time. If you can't run outside for whatever reason, you can use a treadmill to similate all sorts of outdoor runs. Although you can't simulate downhills (unless you have a specially equipped system) you can do a variety of flats, hills and everything in between. Because there is no wind resistance on the treadmill, you need to set its incline to 1 or 2 degrees in order to get the same intensity as an  outdoors flat surface. The randomly varying incline is an interesting idea - probably a good simulation of a common outdoor surface. The C25K workouts are not long, so treadmill boredom shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That said, when the weather improves and you can run outdoors again, do take into account:

1. Most treadmill surfaces are softer and springier than asphalt roads. Your leg muscles will notice the difference as they adjust to the harder surface.

2. You may initially find it harder to calibrate your pace, without the electronic display in front of you. You will have to learn to rely on things like breathing rate, the "talk test" and leg turnover rate to calibrate your pace.

3. You will need to learn to deal with a variety of weather conditions - warm, cool, wind, etc.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points