Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2609 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2011 4:35 PM by ColoCorredor RSS
Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
Dec 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2011 6:13 PM

Is CrossFit beneficial to my running?

Hi Guys!

I've been training for my trail series this year. A friend of mine suggested that CrossFit would benefit my training efforts. So yesterday I tried it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=byt6IcJDRIU

I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Will CrossFit help or hurt me?

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Jan 21, 2011 11:25 AM (in response to Bimma)
    Re: Is CrossFit beneficial to my running?

Shoot yes -- a lot of elite runners are incorporating the same exercises that are shown on that video in their training programs.  You're strengthening quads, hams and core.  You're working on balance.  That looks like perfect injury prevention training to me.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 21, 2011 12:19 PM (in response to Bimma)

Bimma wrote:

Will CrossFit help or hurt me?

I don't have any idea but it really depends on how you define "hurt me". I think, from a purely physical standpoint, CrossFit is amazing and, as long as you don't have a doctor standing above you telling you not to do it, then definitely do it -- I'm far too much of a wimp. From an endurance running stand point, I'm wondering if it wouldn't prevent you from running as fast as you possibly can over long distances.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Jan 21, 2011 8:49 PM (in response to Bimma)

Cross fit training will help strengthen your core, push your lactic threshold and because of it's HITT format, increase your anerobic capacity and recovery, kind of like recovering after cresting a particulary challenging hill. Go for it.

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    6. Jan 28, 2011 2:31 PM (in response to Bimma)

CrossFit can be beneficial to your running, but keep in mind a few things:

• When CF intensity/length starts to take away from your running training, it's not helping.
    • Use it as a tool to benefit your running, not as a primary way of training.
    • It can be intense, so don't get hurt doing it!
    • While it can help, it's probably not the best type of strength training for distance runners. Check out: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/05/strength-training-for-endurance.html

Good luck and have fun!

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    7. Feb 6, 2011 4:35 PM (in response to Bimma)

I am a runner and I love CrossFit.  However, if you are training for a race, CrossFit can be REALLy intense, and make you very sore for a day or two to follow.  So, if you are using a CrossFit exercise for your cross-training day, make sure that you don't overdo it, and put yourself in a position where you are too sore to run your "long run" the next day.  Don't get me wrong, crossfit is AWESOME, but there have been several workouts that have left me so sore that I am shuffling around the next day in pain.  Just try to find a balance and make sure that your intense days are your running days....

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...