Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

43428 Views 252 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2011 9:08 AM by scotth0911 RSS 1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
Kyle Drum Amateur 82 posts since
Jan 20, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 22, 2011 10:23 AM

C25K Training Partners Needed! 1/22/11

I will begin C25K today.  I have a long history with this program.  I have been successful at it twice, completing the program and doing 5K events.  However, in 2009 I stress fractured my cuboid bone, the outermost bone in the foot, and it put me down for a long time. About the same time that happened, my second child was born, and so you can guess the rest of the story.  It is very frustrating because I was doing so well.  I was doing 5-6 mile runs on a regular basis and my weight was down to acceptable ranges.

With all of that being said, I went to the doctor yesterday and was frightened by the news.  My cholesterol particle count is high enough to start cholesterol medicine and my weight is up 20lbs.  I refused to start the medicine and asked the physician for three months to make lifestyle changes.  So my goal is to reduce stress, increase my fitness and eat better.  I have already started the diet, 6 days down and I am doing well with that.  Now it is time to lace up the shoes and run the stress away.

A little background on myself.  I am a married 30 year old father of 2 (1 boy, 1 girl) 4 and 1 are the ages.  I am a professional sales representative in the medical community and my job carries a lot of stress in addition to running my young time demanding household.  My workouts have to be planned at the crack of dawn or very late.  But, I can not use excuses any longer.  I live in a small town that has great running sidewalks right outside of my front door and I love to run outside.  We are getting a treadmill tomorrow, so I will be using that some as well.

I need support from other runners as this is imperative for success.  I am willing to start up a thread and be active with it daily or join a thread that is already active if invited.  I will take suggestions for naming the thread so that we can all follow along as needed, or we can just use this one with routine updates.

I will do W1D1 today.  It doesn't matter where you are in the program, lets just get together and knock it out.  I am also interested in a weight loss thread that can be used in conjunction with this.

I look forward to any feedback.

Happy Running,

Kyle

Attachments:
  • jenny32643 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 8, 2010
    2. Jan 22, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)
    Re: C25K Training Partners Needed! 1/22/11

Great job for juggling kids and work and doing this for yourself. I am a nurse who has here share of job and family stress. I find putting on my running shoes the best medicine for myself. I am on Week 2 Day 2. But I have recently completed 3 half marathons. They all have been done in a 3 hour time limit, but the main thing is that I did them and finished. Crossing the finish line is the most amazing feeling in the world.I dont' think I will ever be able to do a 5K. The first 2-3 miles are the hardest for me, it takes my body that long to realize that I am not quitting or giving in so it better just coorperate, so by mile 3-5 my breathing really starts to kick in and I find a running groove.  I will never be a fast runner, but the fact that we lace up and go do something for ourselves is all that matters. Keep up the good work. Keep posting so I can see how you are doing.   Jennifer

• luvmygrljb Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    3. Jan 22, 2011 5:58 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hi!!!!  New to the boards!!!  I'm on W4D3 but I'd be more than happy to join you!!!!

• KindaZen Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    4. Jan 23, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to Kyle Drum)

I started W1D1 on the 18th - so I've officially made it through the first week!  My first day I walked through the last minute run (I was using a tape and thought I was never going to get to the end - if only I'd realized there was only one more run) but yesterdays run/walk (day 3) wasn't bad at all.  Not that I was raring to keep running, but at least I knew I could finish it. Now I'm wondering if it would be horrible to add a fourth day of running to the week. Can something so difficult be addictive at the same time???

That's great that you've gone through the program twice already - proves you have the willpower needed. Is your foot completely healed now, or do you need ot take to take extra precautions to avoid injury?

Good luck!

KindaZen

Running for CCFA

• brian260 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    7. Jan 23, 2011 6:12 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hello.  I would like to join you in your journey.  I plan to start the program tomorrow, Monday, 1/24/11.  I have done 5K's before.  The last two years I have done a triathlon.  The run portion is a 5k. So my goal is to do that again this June.

I also have an injury I am working to overcome.  Mine is in the knees.  Possibly runner's knee.  I have tried resting it, running through it, and walking it off, and it still seems to hang around.  I have been walking almost daily for a week and this program is my next step in order to take it slow in recovery.  I just got fitted for a pair of running shoes at the local running shoe store.  On my off-days I plan to do some easy walking and/or thigh strengthening exercises.

Good luck to all.

Brian

• Gailfriend Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 12, 2009
    8. Jan 23, 2011 6:49 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hi Kyle - I would like to join you. I was wondering where to find the training schedule.

Thanks!

Gail

• momz04 Expert 41 posts since
    Jan 18, 2011
    11. Jan 24, 2011 1:08 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

Hey there, I am starting today 1/24/10 so a couple of days behind should be fine.  I excited to have some accountability from others in a group.  I am a

34 year old mother of 4 and I am working on getting my oldest boy to join me out there.....so excited.  I am also signing up for a 5K run in April so the timing is perfect!!

• sbmcrss21 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2011
    12. Jan 24, 2011 3:31 PM (in response to momz04)

Hi, I just did Week 1 Day 1 today 1/24/11.  I'm planning on running a 5K in May with a friend/coworker, so I'm really looking forward to getting readyfor it!  I'm hoping that by posting in the forums, I'll have an easier time keeping my motivation up^_^  This is the first time I've tried a running program, but I really want to run this 5K with my friend:)

• Jazzyjd Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 22, 2010
    13. Jan 24, 2011 3:53 PM (in response to Kyle Drum)

I just finished week 2 yesterday (but I won't mention that it took almost 3 weeks to get in those 6 runs -- just keep moving forward, right?)  I signed up for a race on the 20th of March and since things come up and I occasionally miss days I am going to aim for a work out every other day (some weeks 4 and some weeks 3) in case there is a two day period that I can't fit the run in my busy schedule.  If I do 9 weeks my race is my final run.  I may need to look into the pod casts because after the first two weeks it is hard to figure out the intervals since my watch only times two and I like to mix up running on a treadmill with running outside.  I have never run with music/headphones (or used my ipod with headphones for that matter) any suggestions?

• KindaZen Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    14. Jan 24, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to Jazzyjd)

I use my cell phone to listen to mp3s on.  I didn't even realize I could until last week.  I got the MP3s fromk http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/.

Are most of you sticking to a pretty tight schedule or do you just run when you can?  I start W2D1 tomorrow ( wish me luck) so I don't really know my own running habits yet, but I'm hoping to stay to a fairly tight schedule. If only it wasn't so dark and cold in the mornings!

KindaZen

Running for CCFA

1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...