Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2256 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2008 9:34 AM by Eager runnner RSS
Eager runnner Rookie 16 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 12, 2007 10:58 AM

race  tactics and training advice for 10 mile race

I am planning on running a 10 mile in march and i was wondering what is best way to run  it like a half marathon or more like a 10k. So I guess I am asking of much speed work  and tempo training  I should do before. My background is that I have been running for about 4 years average 25-35 mph for first 3 years. In that time I run .1.30 half marathon and couple 5k in the 20.00 ish range, 20-25 mph for last year. any race or training advice would be appreciated

• fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002

10 mile progression runs.
    4 times 2 miles, 2 times 5k
    more mileage

www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/progressionruns.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by fredurie (edited Dec-12-2007).|http://This message has been edited by fredurie (edited Dec-12-2007).]

• ninetonite Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 15, 2004
    2. Dec 31, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to fredurie)
    Re: race tactics and training advice for 10 mile race

If you aren't doing any long runs then start them. Begin with 16km and work your way up to say 23-25km.  Also work on your overall mileage, try to get in a few weeks at 35-40miles.  And if you can a weekly race pace effort, 5km @ target 10mile race pace.  A couple 5km or 10km races before target race and you're there.

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007

As to your longest run, gradually increase our long run.  I don't think you need get over 15 (25K) if you're targeting a 10 miler, but if you planning on more HMs, I'd try to get it closer to 30K, and then try to periodically do that to maintain your base.  That'll put you in good stead for all of your racing, even the short stuff.

As to pace, don't go out at 10K pace, but don't start as relaxed as you might in an HM.  You need to get into a groove, but you can't take as much time to do it as you can in an HM.

• sue088 Rookie 263 posts since
    Aug 9, 1998

Normally, a person of your speed should run the race at a pace closer to your 10k pace rather than your half marathon pace, however I have no idea what your training is like, if you haven't done an threshold runs, theres is no way that you would know what pace you can run right under. 

If you do alot of  long progression type tempo runs with a HRM you could get an idea of about the point where your heartrate takes off and take note of that pace and stay under that pace on race day.  If you do this a few times you can get a good idea.  Any test with HRM should be done a few times as heartrate is very subjective.   So for instant, warm-up and when you reach 1/2 marathon pace, take note of hearrate, at 3 minutes...pick up the pace for 3 minutes, take note of heartrate......continue until you can't or you reach 10k pace.   If you see something like 140, 145, 150, 171, 175......somewhere between 145 and 171 is probably a good guess of your threshold.   However, a person can hold threshold for an hour....so keeping that in mind, if you expect that a 10 miler will take you 65 minutes, you need to account for that 5 minutes by running under you threshold.

Dec 7, 2007

ER,

Those don't sound like Tempo runs to me.  The 800s with full recovery at 5K pace are closer to Repeats.  I suggest you pick up a book -- such as Daniels' Running Formula -- that describes the various types of training and the purpose of each.  Great background stuff.  The mantra is that you should always know why you do a particular workout.  Good luck.

Aug 9, 1998
    8. Jan 9, 2008 12:02 PM (in response to JPGarland)

I'm not sure I'd call them repeats when the recovery is at 5k pace. To be honest, I not sure what I'd call that workout. You can't possible recover from an 800 with another 800 at 5k pace, so I wouldn't call it repeats. And that's almost 3 miles of speedwork > than 5k pace, so I wouldn't call it tempo. threshold < 10k pace so it ain't that either. I'd call it one hard workout and maybe there is indeed a junk zone for speed workouts???

ER-

that workout just seems too strenuous and the other two workouts appear too light for a 1:30 half person.   I wouldn't be able to do your first workout unless I was underestimating my 5k ability.  I really want to repeat what JP says about "knowing what each run is about".   The other 2 workouts are too slow.  person of 1:30 half ability (6:52) should be doing tempo runs faster than 6:52,  7:15 pace, to me, appears too slow for speed work and too fast for base building.   Again, I'm only guessing, but I'd do all runs at 7:30-7:45, except for speedwork...and that "has" to be better than 6:52,  I'd guess more like 6:30-6:40 range.   You either run fast or slow, no "kind of fast" or "kind of slow"

Dec 7, 2007
    9. Jan 9, 2008 11:59 AM (in response to sue088)

Sue,

I agree that it'd be a crazy workout -- what do you do the front-end 800s at? -- so I read it as 800s at 5K pace with an 800 jog recovery.  When I do a repeat, I generally jog the distance for full recovery (although if I go to 800 (which is rare) I'm too impatient and start up again after a 600 jog).

Aug 9, 1998

JP-  If read like that then 800s at 5k would be okay, but the workout it's just "light".  Personally, I don't bother with 800s,  I start with 1000s for intervals (active recovery) and only go up to 600s for repeats (full recovery).  So maybe I do personally believe there is a junk zone for speed.  :).   I prefer 1200s because I have to do less of them.  (well, at least I "used" to well I followed Daniels)

Dec 7, 2007
    11. Jan 9, 2008 12:23 PM (in response to sue088)

Sue,

I also follow Daniels.  I only do an 800 as part of a repeat ladder, with a bunch of 200s and 400s and a 600 on the way up and one 800 before going down.  In part it's a way to speed up (no pun intended) the workout, given the full recovery.  But the pace is consistent all the way through, so you feel the last 300 of the 800.  I'll also do 800s as Intervals, but with a very short break, something like 8 800s @ 2:40 w/ 1:20 recovery rest (or 16 X 400 @80 w/40 secs.).  I really need to improve my mental strength with 1200-1600 intervals, and especially to keep them at pace so I don't blow up.  But I realize that Daniels want you to get at least 3 minutes of running per interval.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...