Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8955 Views 37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 11:47 AM by New Runner 2008 Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 3, 2011 5:56 AM (in response to run50yrs)
    Re: okay to walk?

Run50yrs,

What a load of elitist BS!!  If your personal goal is to run a whole race, 5k-marathon I respect that but it's your goal and your goal only!  The suggestion that people shouldn't do races unless they can run them the whole way is elitist and ridiculous! If this were the case most races wouldn't even be half full and not nearly as fun!  But I have to say the most preposterous thing you implied was that somehow completing a race that you didn't run the whole way is no accomplishment and somehow suggests not being in shape or doing our best is insulting and goes against everything I cherish about the running community.  Running is a process, it takes time, effort, training, dedication and education.  Opions like yours only cause people that might be willing to start running to quit and give up!  That would be unfortunate because we all have goals, we all have degrees of accomplishments that drive us on to bigger and better things. I believe, running is a sport for all!!  Not just elitest!

Pete

Proud of my accomplishments, even if  I had to walk!!!!!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    16. Feb 3, 2011 5:22 AM (in response to Dog-lover)

Pete,

Thanks I agree 100%!    Anything to get people active is a great thing.  If I need to walk and still get a PR I don't care a bit, after 3-4 years of hard training the end time tells me how my race was if I walked or run the whole thing does not make a Da__!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    17. Feb 3, 2011 11:13 AM (in response to jeljohns)

I want to add something else.  I've said this before but I think it bears repeating:  All races are NOT created equal.   There are many different types of events in which a less experienced runner might feel more or less comfortable.  While I've never run in any race where walking was completely taboo, I have run in some races where there were few, if any, walkers and my 10:00/mile pace put me pretty far down in the results.  Then I have run other races where at least half the participants were walking and that same pace put me well above 50% for my age group (heck, I even WON an age group at that pace in one small race!)

You can usually get a feel for the race atmosphere by how they advertise it.  Races that are targeted to families and all levels of participants usually make that clear and are sometimes called "Fun Runs" or other friendly sounding names.  Races that attract more hard core runners often have no nonsense names like the "XYZ Track Club 10K" and may even point out that the course is fast or the event is a certified qualifying race. (All I can say about those is LINE UP IN THE BACK if you run any slower than a 7-8 minute mile or you will get blown right off the course!)

The point is that although you can certainly participate in any race you qualify for, you may want to carefully pick and choose that very first race.  Find one that is "newbie" friendly and you won't feel at all intimidated if you walk.  Even in the more serious races you can certainly walk if you wish and there are some serious racers who actually train to complete races that way (the Galloway Method).  But if you have doubts or feel uncomfortable about walking, definitely go for the less competitive events for your first few races until you have built up your confidence a little bit.   Good luck!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    18. Feb 3, 2011 11:39 AM (in response to Dog-lover)

Dog-lover wrote:

Run50yrs,

What a load of elitist BS!!  If your personal goal is to run a whole race, 5k-marathon I respect that but it's your goal and your goal only!  The suggestion that people shouldn't do races unless they can run them the whole way is elitist and ridiculous! If this were the case most races wouldn't even be half full and not nearly as fun!  But I have to say the most preposterous thing you implied was that somehow completing a race that you didn't run the whole way is no accomplishment and somehow suggests not being in shape or doing our best is insulting and goes against everything I cherish about the running community.  Running is a process, it takes time, effort, training, dedication and education.  Opions like yours only cause people that might be willing to start running to quit and give up!  That would be unfortunate because we all have goals, we all have degrees of accomplishments that drive us on to bigger and better things. I believe, running is a sport for all!!  Not just elitest!

Pete

Proud of my accomplishments, even if  I had to walk!!!!!!

Double Thumbs UP!

Without the slower runners, without the beginning runners -- without all level of runners -- there would not be the amount of races that are available; nor would there be the push for technological advantages in equipment and sports medicine. The popularity of running means money which means innovation. Everyone benefits by the spectrum of running abilities represented at races.

Walking sometime becomes the only option because sometime I have a bad day out there -- even after training well for a race.

I have run hundreds of races, and 10's of thousands of miles. I would never discourage someone who is out there plugging away.

When I came back to running -- my first few 5K's back I had spots where I walked for 20 seconds or so. It was like hitting the re-set switch, and I was good to go for the remainder of the race.

Plus, how does a newbie understand how to fully train for a race unless they get out there and run a race? In the big picture they might not have know how they would do, and had to walk a few times. They take that experience away with them and train more for the next race.

Work, family, life in general affect the way people can train. People who can train at an elite level ought to be thankful for their talent and time to train, and not look down their noses at those who do not match that bar.

rant over

• slowbuthappy Amateur 28 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008
    19. Feb 4, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to jeljohns)

I hope I didnt make anyone feel like I looked down on people who walk or think less of them.  I ran a 5K with my daughter last year (her first) and we walked some of it.  I have talked my son into running it this year and told him I did'nt care if he walked half or not, just get out and do his best.  Although I am hoping he tries to run it all.  If he walks I will still be proud of him.

I do however feel that people should at least attempt to run the full race if they have the time to properly train.  I dont quite get the coaches who would not encourage people who are physically able to run a 5K to actually run it when they have enough time to train properly.  I can understand someone who has never run and only has a limited time to train.  But someone who has run for a year should be able to work up to 3 miles.  They may not be able to keep a 10min/mile pace but at least train to run and if you need to walk, go ahead, at least your out there.

I did talk my wife into the 5K when only 3 months ago she wouldn't even consider it and she never ran on the treadmill ever.  Now she is up to 2 miles and she still has 2 months to train.  And she is not a natural athlete at all.  She works hard at it and it has paid off for her.

I have a half marathon the same weekend as the 5K and if I have to walk I am ok with it, but I will not plan on walking.  Once I start walking it is way to easy to give up and walk again later in the race.  I had the same motivation 2 years ago and I only walked the water stops.

Never give up, Never surrender.

• StephLevin Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    20. Feb 5, 2011 6:57 AM (in response to jeljohns)

Go ahead and sign up for a race - you will love it! When it is time to line up, I usually put myself behind the elite/crazy runners, but ahead of the stroller runners. You will see a variety of abilities, shapes and sizes. You will also see many people walking - it doesn't matter because everyone who participates is getting exercise and hopefully having fun! Go for it!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    21. Feb 5, 2011 7:35 AM (in response to Dog-lover)

I am VERY Much agreeing with Dog Lover and others who said run YOUR race!  those others who say "don't walk a 5K" are elitists and are NOT about promoting their sport.

Heck, my own coach is an endorsed athlete. I know and he knows that I will never be able to run a 1/2 marathon in teh time it takes him, but that's okay!!!!

One of my hardest and favorite races I had two years ago (when I started running) was on a rainy 4th of july.  Pretty much the people who showed up were FAST and I sure wasn't (I run a 12 min. mile and am proud of it, given I have really bad knees!)   There were a lot of hills in the course, which shocked me given that I live in teh same town and in a flat area! THe last half mile who do I see running back and shouting encouragement?  One of the leaders who finished (he finished 1st in his age group) and he was a track coach for a local college. THAT gave me more motiivation and I finished strong (and it was on a decline, so there was a bonus!).

Run your race, even if it means walking some of the race.

At an info meeting, my coach adn another coach who were putting on the meeting said that even if you stop/walk for water breaks in a marathon or half, you're still RUNNING the whole thing--there was a guy there who had done both of those races multiple times and never stopped for hydration because he wanted to be able to say he "ran the whole thing". ugh. he didn't even think of fueling his temple/body for the race because he was so intent on the 'no walking' thing. Is that how we treat our systems????

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    23. Feb 5, 2011 7:48 PM (in response to jeljohns)

I'm doing a Y race next weekend!  It's for a great cause and lots of people dress up in costume/flannel as it's the theme.  It was quite exciting last year, getting to run on the hills around our state capitol, etc.

Hope you have LOTS of fun!!!!

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    24. Feb 6, 2011 6:15 PM (in response to jeljohns)

The last time I tried to run, I was thisclose to collapsing from hypoglycemia.

Having said that, no more running for me.

Be proud of your accomplishment, jeljohns.  You're doing something that, odds are, 98% of the people in your community wouldn't even DREAM of attempting.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    25. Feb 6, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to jeljohns)

Yay!!!  Good luck in your YMCA Fun Run!  Its going to be a blast

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    26. Feb 6, 2011 6:10 PM (in response to Marykb)

Marykb wrote:

All races are NOT created equal.

You DO have a point.

You can usually get a feel for the race atmosphere by how they advertise it.  Races that are targeted to families and all levels of participants usually make that clear and are sometimes called "Fun Runs" or other friendly sounding names.  Races that attract more hard core runners often have no nonsense names like the "XYZ Track Club 10K" and may even point out that the course is fast or the event is a certified qualifying race.

The point is that although you can certainly participate in any race you qualify for, you may want to carefully pick and choose that very first race.  Find one that is "newbie" friendly and you won't feel at all intimidated if you walk.  Even in the more serious races you can certainly walk if you wish and there are some serious racers who actually train to complete races that way (the Galloway Method).  But if you have doubts or feel uncomfortable about walking, definitely go for the less competitive events for your first few races until you have built up your confidence a little bit.   Good luck!

Ask the race offcials how they treat stragglers (Are you moved to the sidewalk?  Or are you picked up in a "sweeper" van and given a "Did Not Finish" for your trouble?)

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    27. Feb 7, 2011 10:24 AM (in response to Dog-lover)

There is no problem with walking during the race.  Your are still on your feet and moving forward toward your goal of finishing.  Just stay on the side of the course and don't slow down or stop in front of runners who may be passing you.   If you are planning to run slow then make sure you position yourself back in the pack.

We never know the story of the runners on the course.  This might be their first race or their hundreth.  They may have just had knee surgery or they could be recovering from heart surgery.  

I finished a marathon four weeks ago while suffering from food poisoning.  It was very cold and I felt miserable but despite a few necessary stops along the way I kept going forward.  Fortunately, I felt much better and ran faster when I ran my next marathon the following day.

Enjoy the race.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• DebC159 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    28. Feb 7, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)

I haven't heard anyone in this conversation say that it's NOT ok to walk.  Everyone has voiced their opinions on what they have done, do or have seen, but the end advice has been pretty much the same, It's your race and you do what is comfortable for you in that race.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    29. Feb 7, 2011 1:04 PM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Steve....2 marathons in 2 days....whoo hoo!!  I'm in awe.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...