Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

656252 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 327 Previous Next
  • CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,995. Feb 14, 2012 10:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Did a short 2.5 miles on the hill today. And walked the dogs 1.5 miles. My dog LOVES her walks but she has hip dysphasia and can't go too far or she'll be limping around the house the rest of the day oddly enough she still finds the energy to chase cars!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    1,996. Feb 14, 2012 12:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Run4Choclt- With that schedule, you should be able to run for the whole Wonka factory!

4.2 miles, 18 degrees, pitch black, hardpack snow...But when I get to run in the daylight on roads, it feels so EASY!

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    1,997. Feb 14, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

3 miles of walk / run after being sick for a week. I also saw 3 deer along the trails...pretty criters. Does anyone else not feel the same after being sick?

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    1,998. Feb 14, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi there!

Last run was Sunday afternoon, on treadmill due to snow/muddy/icy trails ......... it was miserable and dismal training run, made it tho' ....... 10.2 miles!!  Never had I felt soooo sluggish from the get go; usually I have this feeling the first 3-4 miles but the first 6 miles on this run was not pretty; had a burst of energy from 6 to 8 miles, then it was pitiful till I finished!!! OMG!!  But I am going to try it again today, at least 10, try for 11 and if feeling ok, go for 12 .............uh-huh........ can't wait .......... why am I still sitting here? haha! gotta run ............

Trail runner

• hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    1,999. Feb 14, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to quikyerp)

Being sick for a week is enough to throw everyone off track. Anytime I've been that sick it takes me awhile to get back in my groove, but you'll get there in no time.

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,000. Feb 14, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Got my early morning run today. Went out the door at 5am. It was dark and a brisk 45 degrees. Hill work today. 1.5 miles of very steep hills. I'm in San Francisco, so when I say steep, I do mean it! This is my hardest day. Maybe not in mileage, but in sheer difficulty. But I think I'm really getting a good deal out of these hill workouts. Sometimes I do have to walk up the really steep parts to catch my breath. I'm very happy it wasn't raining this morning, because one block can be quite dangerous when wet! Anyway, I'm always happy to chalk another one of these grinders done until next week! I'll probably increase it to 2 miles in a couple of weeks; I just don't want to rush it. My other runs have increased enough so I think it will be ok by then.

• airmax9 Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 13, 2012
    2,001. Feb 14, 2012 9:04 PM (in response to isewinsf)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Feel so good ! yesterday after an another 3 miles running! a little bit tired! but very happy! thank for the thread!i decide to buy an new Nike air max 2011 and start running !

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,002. Feb 14, 2012 10:03 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

My run today was slower than normal.  I just felt heavy.  It was cold outside 40 degrees and rain.  OK cold for Seattle.  lol

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/149695421

Terranss:  Yes Greenlake is close to my work (i.e., UW Medicine Northwest Hospital and Medical Center) on Tuesday’s my running buddy and I are do a three miler, if we go around Greenlake it can be around 6.5 miles. Clean air and a cool 48-50 degrees for a lunch run is nothing short of spectacular.

MelodyLea: Yikes! 10 degrees?  We rarely snow ski in those temps let alone run.  That would definitely be a treadmill day in Seattle.

Taylor007: The Seattle R&R Marathon is June 23rd.  New course some say it’s hilly but the elevation goes from sea level and maxes out at 180 feet.   I don’t think it’s that bad.  I’ve never run further than 16 miles so I’ll have my work cut out for me.

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,003. Feb 15, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to Run4Coffee)

Ow my legs!

I was intending a non-run day yesterday, but because my co-worker and workout buddy was running late, I hit the treadmill and got in 2 miles before he got there.  After that we played a game of racquetball (~1 hr), and then we proceeded with a brutal leg workout (I'll post it here if anyone is feeling particularly masochistic):

1. 6 rounds, 1 minute rest between rounds - Leg Press, Front Squats

2. 4 rounds, 30 seconds rest between rounds - Sumo Squats, Deadlifts

3. 4 rounds, 30 seconds rest between rounds - 100' of Walking Lunges w/weights, Leg Curl machine

Because I'm running a half on the weekend, I kept the weight low and the reps high.  Still hurting for sure, though!

I got in a 2.5-mile run with the dog this morning, and it was slow going.  It was good to get the legs moving, but man, they're tired!

Happy running, everyone!

• AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    2,004. Feb 15, 2012 11:07 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Interesting discussion.

I am tapering down my workouts in preparation for a 5K race this Saturday, 2/18.

Yesterday, I ran an easy 4 miles (approx.) in about 35 minutes.

I am debating whether I should run today. It is cold outside, (at least for us southern californians) at ?60 degrees F, and it feels like I am coming down with a cold. My nose and throat feels dry.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,005. Feb 15, 2012 11:30 AM (in response to Run4Choclt)

Run4choclit, Tell your Dad he's not alone in his new start. I got back into running a couple years ago when my son and his girlfriend suggested we all run in a local 5k. I was 54 then. I beat my son with a 25:30 time. Since then I've been running steadily and rewarding myself with new and better running gear. My golf clubs aren't getting the use they were prior to this change of sport, but my health has sure improved. I've lost 30 -35 pounds, and although my knees still crack and pop and seem to lock up when I do knee bends, my legs and back are probably better than they've been in years. My doctor told me last November if all his patients came in like I did, he wouldn't have to nag anyone about anything.

I'm now 56, run three or four times a week, and do some light dumbbells/lifting workouts tied together with core exercises two or three times a week. I do 2 sets of the exercises, which include 50 pushups each, and one minute of core plank each. I also do some stationary bike workouts once or twice a week.

Keep him going. Build him up slowly. One thing I've fround is the more I do, and the better I get, the more and better gear I want to try. And the more gear I buy and invest in, the more I want to keep at it. But I took it slowly at first, not knowing how much I'd really like it and how long I'd stay in it.

I've cut my 5k time down to under 21 minutes (last November), and have run a 10k in 46:22 (my only one so far). I'm going up to a 1/2 marathon April 7. Get him fired up. Keep him going. One of my new mottos is to run like your heart depends on it. It's helped me a lot.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,006. Feb 15, 2012 11:40 AM (in response to AnaheimHillRunner)

Nice to read all your posts! Running the SanFran hills, pumping iron...nice.

I got my new "kicks" today! Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2 with a 4mm heel-to-toe offset. Whoot.

I, too have a scratchy throat and feel unusually tired today... Hope its not a friggin' cold trying to sneak up and get me.

Vitamin C and Zinc to the rescue!

Cant wait to try out my new shoes (a very short run though, so I dont freak out my calf muscles like before) The new shoes are SO pretty! lol

Happy running team.

~Melody

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,007. Feb 15, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

?

jmsab23 We posted at the same time. What an inspiration you are!! Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your story with us.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    2,008. Feb 15, 2012 12:20 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23- So far so good.. he's been running for a little over a month now and even bought a dreaded treadmill! He started running when it was cold and after we got snow was upset he couldn't keep at it so made the purchase. He kept telling me the treadmill had to be easier than running outside... until he came to the track w/ me Monday and said, "wow, that treadmill sure is tough compared to this!" HA~ no kidding! I hate treadmills! You are an inspiration though. I'd like to get him to do a few 5k's this year with me. He says he will. I just have to build him up to that distance. Right now he wants to run super fast at the get-go. He just doesn't really get pacing yourself. He did go back to the Dr. a week or so ago and his Dr. told him he had lost a few pounds, his cholesterol had gone down and was looking more healthy.

Melodylea - Do you have a link to your new shoes? I'm always on the lookout for new kicks!

Back to 1.5 miles with my dad again tonight. He's aiming for under 16 minutes so I'll keep you posted! After the short run will be a kickboxing class - it will be my 2nd of the day. Just call me crazy...

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,009. Feb 15, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well .......... I planned on running at least 10 miles but ended up running 12.2 miles on the treadmill!!!!  YAY!!! 

Compared to my Sunday run, this was sooooo much better!  Kept it steady for most of the miles, increasing in pace from 10/mile to 8:30/mile, 2 minutes of 8/mile after each mile followed by a 1 minute walk break after each mile.  Bum Knee appreciates it,

Ran an easy 6 mile this morning to loosen my muscles.

ALL THE TREADMILL; snowed again this morning .........

I prefer TRAIL RUNNING/RACES so sure miss my trails due to the snow/mud/ice , not a road racer here but have to now and then ........brutal but survive them.

Another 10 miles tomorrow and then rest for my HM race on Sunday.

KEEP IT UP EVERYONE!!! Your posts keeps me motivated!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...