Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731389 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,010. Feb 15, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to Run4Choclt)
    My last run was...how was yours?

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,011. Feb 15, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well I have never been accused of being bright but I pulled a bonehead move even for me today. After a conversation with a co worker today I decided to run a trail that I have never run before. I got off at work at 3 oclock  and after running an errand I got to the trail head at 4oclock. Knowing it gets dark here around 5:30 this time of year and thinking I was going to run 3 to 4 miles I was sure I'd be back before dark. As I started out I was sure of what path I was to take and after all there was only 2 right turns  to get me back to where I parked my truck. Sunny, 38 degrees and fresh snow covering everything made it picture perfect run or so I thought. Was 2 miles in and still no sign of the first right turn that was described to me. Finally at mile 3 there it was . Wrong. I ran 2 more miles pass the swinging bridge I was told about so still thinkin I was ok and my co worker's mileage was just off. Ok so I'm at at 5 miles so the next right must be soon. No not yet. At this point my gps lost it's signal so I'm guessing at the milage. Runnin and running and watching the sun setting down over the trees I'm getting a little nervous. I brought nothing but what was on my back thinking I'd be back in 30 mins. Finally got to the gravel road I was told to make the second right. Happy thinking my truck is at the end of the road I pick up my pace as the sun is really getting low at this point. I'm running but the road seems to never end. After what had to be another couple miles I spot houses. This is good and bad because I happy to see signs of life again but knowing this is no where near I parked my truck. I get to an intersection looking for something familar but no. Nothing. What else to do but pick a direction and start running again. Going by more homes I finally spotted a gentlemen who looked approachable. Luckily for me he was a good guy. He explained I missed my turn by miles and offered to take me back to my truck. Happily accecpted his offer. As we rode back to my starting point he explained where I went wrong and told me I wasn't the first he had rescued. We rode 3 miles back to my truck which I was never so happy to see. God bless the good guys of the world. I hope to return his kindness to him some day. I'm guessing total run was around 10 miles. I haven't run this far for as long as I can remember. This was no way to do it. lol. Can't wait to see that co worker tomorrow.  Keep running everyone.

Jul 4, 2011
    2,012. Feb 15, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Run4Choclt  nice story running with your dad. It doesn't get much better than that.

Igotwings absolutly. Being sick can really take it out of you. Hope you are back to your self soon.

Isewinsf way to crush those hills.

Airmax9 go for it

Terranss good luck with your half this weekend. I know you don't need luck being the machine you are. Enjoy and kick butt.

Jmsab great story. Like Melodylea said you are very inspiring.

az1414 glad your running is going better. Good luck with your half also.

Keep running and keep posting everyone

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,013. Feb 15, 2012 7:23 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

6xchampsfan Wow what a story!!! #1 The good news is their are still alot of good people out there. #2 You just ran your longest run on what sounds like a great trail. Sounds like you have 2 blessings to count tonight.

Terranss Can't wait to read your post after this weekends race. Soon we'll going to have to change your screen name to Tearass. Have a great run.

A2144 Nice tempo run and pickups on the dreadmill. Way to go.

Igotwings I'm in the same boat as you. Caught a bad sinus infection 1 wk before my Disney HM in Jan. Took two weeks to even feel a little normal. The mind was willing and the body weak. Now for the first time in years yesterday I got some kind of 24 hr bug that I couldn't even get out of bed. Feeling 50% today. I'm kicking back and not attempting to run until Sunday. When I'll do a short 40min easy run. I'm in great shape, 59 yrs old and preach proper nutrition.  However these two things back to back just got the best of me Starting to think maybe I was overtraining !!! I'm confident I'll come back stronger. This time I'm taking it slow. Hope you do the same. Hang in there

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• NoogaTiger16 Amateur 32 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    2,014. Feb 15, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Sounds like all but the infirmed are having great weeks. Hope those with ailments are better sooner than later.

Yesterday was an easy paced 4 miles but was more sluggish than normal easy pace. Today was much better, 5 miles in just over 40 minutes (faster than I've gone that distance in quite some time). Easy 3 miles tomorrow evening, then off to the beach for the weekend. Looking forward to a nice long run on an island Sunday morning.

Keep up the good work everybody, hump day's over.

Battle of Mobile Bay 5k-2/18/12 (24:55)

Scenic City 5k-2/25/12 (24:43)

Gateway Bank and trust 5k-3/17/12 (23:33) PR

Knoxville Half Marathon-4/1/12 (1:55:29) PR

Chickamauga Chase 15k-4/21/12

King of the Mountain 4mile-5/5/12

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2,015. Feb 15, 2012 10:04 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

6x - I agree, what a story. Being male it's not quite as much a risk for you to take a ride from strangers as for us women, but still, it's a warning to be aware of where we're going. Reminds me of the time I was in a small town in France. I spoke very little French and ended up getting on the wrong bus and getting lost and found a kind woman who spoke English and she called her brother to give me a ride back to my hotel. I was glad the woman got in the car also.

Back to running...some days it's harder than others and friends can provide motivation.

This morning I started my run at the middle school after walking my son to school heading toward the high school to find out if my missing running glove was on campus (I thought it might have fallen out of the car when I picked up my older son from an activity last night). No luck with the glove, and my motivation to run disappeared.

A block after the high school I reached an intersection and had a choice: turn right and run 1/2 mile home, or turn left and continue my planned route. I thought of you guys, and of my running log, and I turned left.

Some fartlek intervals kept me going for a bit, but then my brain said "I'm done" even though my legs were fine. I started walking. Then I decided to turn off the stopwatch and forget about pace. I looked at my watch - 8:55. I realized that if I ran fast I might be able to catch up with some friends who go walking nearly every day on a predictable route. I walk with them sometimes on non-run days, and I wanted to talk to one of them about something. So I started running, and guess what? 8 minutes later I saw them.

I ran probably 2 miles further than I would have today without those two things to motivate me. Thanks.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,016. Feb 16, 2012 6:00 AM (in response to Julia66)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

We get motivation where we can, don't we?

I'm getting tired of the cold. 18 degrees, 4.5 miles (twice around the lake). The sunrise was beautiful, and the snow on the mountains to the west glowed orange with the dawn.

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,017. Feb 16, 2012 6:11 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!

I had the best run yet since I started Jan 4th. I've forgotten how a great run feels....it's been a while.   This morning's 2-miler was awesome. Just a nice flat run past City Hall, but everything clicked. I could have easily gone farther but I'll save that for my 3-miler Sunday. I'm very happy.

Jul 4, 2011
    2,018. Feb 16, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Wanted to post these pics yesterday of my trail run but couldn't get it to work. Hope it does today. Happy running all. Rest day today for me for sure.

Attachments:
  • isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,019. Feb 16, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

That is so beautiful! You could cross country ski down that trail, couldn't you?

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,020. Feb 16, 2012 7:56 AM (in response to isewinsf)

I tried my new shoes for the first time this morning on a 3.5 mile run. The new shoes felt great!! I was a little worried about the heel to toe offset (which is why I did 3.5) since I went from my Asics Gel-Nimbus with a 12mm heel-to-toe offset to these Saucony Progrid Kinvara which have 4mm heel-to-toe offset. The shoes are super light! No unusual soreness in my calves (which I was worried about) and everything else felt good. They are SO pretty too (I know...crucial, right?)

Also, I finally found a solution to fogging sunglasses. I'd tried everything with no luck (I run out in the cold all winter and have a heck of a time with glasses fogging up) So, I bought a pair of ski goggles! These are low profile so they look more like sunglasses. I got em' on eBay for under $10. Here is the link if you're curious. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120674826603?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3159wt_1139

6xchampsfan Oh, my goodness! You poor thing. Great run though!

Webpro11 Oh man, bummer about the cold AND the bug. Dang...hope you heal up soon!

NoogaTiger16 Enjoy the beach!!

Julia66 WHOOT for our motivational effects and great job!

OldPlodder Brrr..... I know ALL about it...

isewinsf Yay, good job!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• taylor007 Pro 88 posts since
    Nov 15, 2010
    2,021. Feb 16, 2012 8:27 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Yesterday I ran 5.5 recovery run. Today was a track day..........that went bust! I was suppose to do 8x400m with a 200m active rest. After the first two intervals my body felt really heavy and i was light headed and nauseous (sp). I tried to do 2 more but I couldnt finish them. I did a 800m cool down and called it a day. The good part that I took away from today was my first 2 intervals were 1.09 and 1.11. I finally have an understanding of what a sub 5 minute mile feels like. I dont think my legs were ready to do speed work after all the racing I did this weekend. I will be doing this set again next week and hydrate and eat properly and see what my body does.

Congrats to everyone that is moving and shaking and getting rides outdoors or indoors!!! You guys are doing really well. Goodluck to anyone that is running a race this weekend! Give it your all and have fun!!

5k- 18.17(12/11) - 5m- 32.12(12/11) - 10k- 39.58(12/11) - 13.1- 1:27:42(12/11)

9/11/11 - I did a green run 5k - 20.00

10/22/11 - YMCA 5k - 19.38

11/24/11 - Mesa Turkey trot 10k - 55.36 (PR) (backwards)

12/4/11 - Fiesta Bowl HM - 1.27.42 (PR)

12/10/11 - Sally's Run 5k - 18.17 (PR)

1/7/12 - Run, walk, roll 5k - 18.53

1/15/12 - PF Changs HM - 2.10.27(PR) (backwards)

2/12/12 - Runners Den 5 & 10 - 18.24

2/12/12 - Parkinsons 5k - 19.24

3/3/12 - Ryan House 5k - 18.21

3/10/12 - Fight Childrens Cancer 5k - 18.21

upcoming

3/17/12 - Kiss me Im Irish 8k

4/1/11 - Carlsbad 5000

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,022. Feb 16, 2012 8:48 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

6x:  Glad you made it back safely ........... great mileage though!! .........next run on that trail, take your co-worker with you, haha!!

LOVE your trail pics ...........gorgeous!!  Makes those long runs less of a struggle, it actually invigorates me as I am more of a trail runner; thank you for sharing.

OldPlodder:  that's INCREDIBLE!!  The running 'fever' is contagious ........the inner drive makes each of us go out the door each time and appreciate another beautiful day!

isewinsf:  AWESOME!!  every step counts ..........WAY TO GO!!

Julia66:  great 'time management' .........  Been there, done that (kids, school, etc.) You know, there are days when I schedule my runs around meeting up with friends after, this really motivates me to make those training runs count instead of resulting in 'empty miles' ..........and I value my friendships so it's a win-win situation.  

MelodyLea:   "They are SO pretty too (I know...crucial, right?)"

Absolutely!!  haha!!  Only a 'girly girl' would understand that ......... I know I do, haha!!  Express your femininity with your 'sole' .........!!!  WOOHOO!!

Planning on a 10 mile run this afternoon ......actually really looking forward to it after a great training run on Tuesday ........... anticipating Sunday's HM too:  new course for me ...........medals ONLY for the top finisher, male and female ................ bummer!!  Didn't know that until AFTER I registered ........... It's okay .......but those TECH SHIRTS better be worth it, haha!!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,023. Feb 16, 2012 8:57 AM (in response to Webpro11)

Webpro11: 

..............'dreadmill' .......... haha!  good one!  thanks for the laugh!

Also, on the '50 and over ......thread, I was curious about my experience with HEED ..........and was asking for your thoughts .........

Anyway, I used the hammer gel on my Tuesday run, and you read my results .......... but I was feeling good prior to my run on that day in constrast to my Sunday run, didn't feel good all day ........come to think of it, felt like I was coming down with something through the weekend ...........anyway, think I am 'recovering' from whatever that was ............. just hope I feel the 'groove' on my Sunday HM ..........

Trail runner

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,024. Feb 16, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to az2mn)

Took yesterday off due to onset of bad sore throat/cold. Feel better today, and the weather is great for here -- around 40 and sunny, with no wind!! Will try to take on my 4-mile hill route in a few, now that I loaded up with motivation reading the posts.

Webpro...funny idea changing Terrans' name.

Julia...Nice extra 2 miles to push it when you thought about taking the easy route.

AZ1414... Great work on the TM!! And pace changes to mix it up and push yourself a little!! Best wishes in your HM Sunday.

6x... Maybe drop off some maps of the area to your rescuer... with a "You are here" dot on them so he can hand them out to others who ask for help!!

Melody... I'll have to look into the sunglasses - my eyes water up very easily in the cold or in any kind of wind.

Taylor007... 1:09 1/4s??     Holy Cow!! I ran the 440 in high school in :57 or :58, but I cannot fathom how I did it now. My 1/4s now are around 1:38, with a full sprint on the TM at 10 mph (1:30 1/4s) one time to see if I could manage a 6:00 mile. I did it, but swore at the TM for the next week and a half.

ISEW... Your run around City Hall made me think of our trip there a few years ago, and I took out the photo album to check the downtown area/Embacradero out again. Would love to go back. Aunt in SF, friend is in Lafayette.

Old Plodder... You and I feel the same about the cold.... can't wait for May, but we're getting a break today before it snows tonight. Sounds like a very pretty area in CO.

P.S. 6X... I wouldn't dare run that snow-covered trail, not knowing what's under the snow -- roots, sticks, rocks, holes, etc. Plus, it's cold.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...