Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

737344 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,040. Feb 17, 2012 5:45 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Did 3 miles this am on my new New Balance MT 101s. I like these shoes! Very light, comfortable. More cushion in the midfoot than you'd expect. They are quiet, too. I couldn't hear myself on the dirt (the crunchy snow was a different story).

Scared up a skunk who kept running along the trail in front of me. When he finally got tired of me following and raised his tail, I took a break to stretch a bit while he wandered off . Still a little sore from a run on cement yesterday.

18 degrees, no wind. A pretty morning.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2,041. Feb 17, 2012 6:02 AM (in response to Webpro11)

AZ1414, Webpro:  Just my thoughts and I try not to write them but I could not stop myself.  You are over thinking the nutrition for a Half Marathon this is not a Ironman nor have you had to train like it was a Ironman.  All the stuff from Hammer is great, but you don't need that much.  Just eat well the week of the race and the day of the race get yourself 300 or so cal in 1-2 hours before the race.  During your race you should consume 30-60 grams per hour for exercise lasting 1-2 hours.  1 gel for most people is plenty for a 1/2 more will not hurt you.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,042. Feb 17, 2012 6:33 AM (in response to Webpro11)

Webpro11,

No offence here so please don't take it that way but wow that's a lot to think about for a 1/2 marathon. I'm cerainly NOT saying you shouldn't replenish during the race but I think you could be over doing it just a bit. It almost reads like a reliance on supplements versus good smart training.

One of the things that struck me was this statement: "In addition on average you'll lose 30 to 90 oz of fluid an hour."

I believe I read you live in Florida so some of that may be true but on average 30 to 90 oz per hour? Hmmmm, I just have a really hard time believing that. That would be the equivalent to almost 3 lbs per hour of liquids (at the least). Seems like those numbers are quite high, IMO.

Runners are all different and it takes many many miles to figure out what works best for you. For me, the only thing that increased my threshold for more speed and better energy was to increase my scheduled miles. Sure it's harder than mixing up a cocktail or sliding down an additional GU or two but trust me - it's a tried and true remedy.

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,043. Feb 17, 2012 7:14 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

BOSNPR / Marathon Dreamer Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think we will all agree, The only way to get better is time on your feet and proper training. I think we will also agree Less is Best. What i was attempting to explain was my personal nutrition plan. Not a magic bullet. We see hundreds of runners race day morning eating bagels, muffins, oatmeal, etc etc. All which take several hours to digest and are alot of wasted calories and cause stomach upset in some. Instead of the above I sleep in an extra half hour and drink one half packet of Hammers Perpeteuem. About 200 calories formulated for stable enegry without stomach upset. On race day we see hundreds of runners eating gu packets, stingers, honey, sugar etc etc. I use Hammer gel  packs 22 grams per serving an all natural product for rapid energy. In regards to my water statement. It's available to read online at Hammer Nutrition.com. Sorry if i made anyone think this 59 year old male who did nothing until November 2011. Took up running , ran a HM in April 2011 in 2:53:00 and continued to improve until Disney Jan 7th running in 2:10:00 (working on improving in Indy in May) was counting on some kind of complicated nutrition plan rather than good dedicated training. My plan is personal and simple. Instead of consuming undigestable carbs on race day morning. I drink Hammer Perpetuem which provides needed energy. Instead of consuming sugar while running. I use Hammer Gel a natural product with no highs or lows. I can attest to one thing and one thing only it does work for me. Hopefully it will continue to help me as I transition to full Marathons in 2012 and Ragnar in 2013(Miami to Key West). Again thanks for the advice. No offense taken. Sorry if my post confused anyone i was responding to a question in regards to my plan.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2,044. Feb 17, 2012 10:17 AM (in response to Webpro11)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Webpro thanks, you continue to improve quickly continued success!  I do enjoyed all of the posts!

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,045. Feb 17, 2012 3:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran a 3 mile loop today after work. Stayed off any new trails. lol. Sunny, 40 degrees but windy which is nothing new around here. Took it easy as I have volleyball in a couple hourrs and want to get a bike ride in tomorrow morning. 

JMSAB23 like I said no one ever accused me of being smart. lol. I know what you mean but I enjoy it so much I take the risk. A couple times if my shoes weren't tied tight I would have brought up a bare foot because of the hidden mud under the snow. Got to love it.

Oshcat Thx. Glad you are back to your old self.

Run4Choclt I do run with my phone using the Endmomdo app to keep track of everything but at 2 miles in lost the signal. No cellphone signal for the rest of the way till I got back to the road. BTW co worker replyed " oh yeah I did forget to tell you about a couple Ys on the trail " and admitted after thinking about it it was longer than 3 to 4 mile loop. The real kicker is he then tells me his brother got lost in this same area a couple years ago and people were sent in to look for him. Would have been good info to have before don't you think. Oh well alls well that ends well.

Webpro11 silver lining in every cloud right.

Julia66 I've been to France on their bus system so I can see how that can be scarey. I guess there are good people everywhere thank God.

isewinsf yes people do crosscountry sky here I'm told but no tracks the day I was there. We haven't had much snow this year and there isn't a good base for it.

MelodyLea  glad the shoes are working out for you.

az1414 thx. If I do take my co worker next time he may not come back. lol. Just kidding. We are still buds.

Keep running everyone abd keep posting

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,046. Feb 17, 2012 4:19 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I ran another 3.5 miles in my new shoes...still testing them out and being careful because on the lower heel to toe offset. It was a nice, fast (for me...I clocked one uphill mile at 10 MM) and strong run! Yay.

Terranss Nice work! I'm so glad the muscles are losening up.

Webpro11 BOSNPM and MarathonDreamThanks for the informative debate about nutrition and supplements.

LMWEL Nice!

OldPlodder  Yay for new kicks and I'm so glad you love running in them!

6xchampsfan Thanks and I'm happy you stuck to a familiar trail today! lol

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Rutrunner Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 17, 2012
    2,047. Feb 17, 2012 5:41 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just found this great chatter site and website this evening. Was looking for some tips on workouts. Just started running 8/11. Turned 65 the month before and thought it would be good. I just do 5K's (so far). My time is slow 32:04 last run and that was the fastest. I am looking at sites to figure out how to train. I would like to improve my time and endurance. Mostly I'm glad to run and to be healthy. It is quite inspirational and informative to read peoples comments. So you see LemonaidLucy, we are interested. Next race is tomorrow night Edison Pageant of Light 5K!  Can't wait

Rutrunner

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,048. Feb 17, 2012 6:08 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea - nice shoes!  I may have to go shopping myself - shoes have always been my weakness

6xchampsfan - nice pictures.  I'm glad you made it out of the forest.  It was quite an adventure and certainly makes for a good story. 

OldPlodder - speaking of adventure - good thing your skunk run didn't "stink" lol

It's been a really busy week and I didn't get as many runs in as I wanted.  I did get 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday and 4+ miles tonight.  It was upper 40s and so mild - I was thrilled to get out on the road.  Tomorrow is aerobics and Sunday I'm planning to run to the pond and back - weather permitting.

Happy running all

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2,049. Feb 17, 2012 6:53 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just to continue the gel pack talk a little bit more.

I have run 10 marathons and never used a gel pack. I plan to run my 11th next Sunday, and do not plan to use any.

I am not advocating this point-of-view. I only want to balance the discussion that these are not some Ponce de Leon formula for runners.

I have no doubt they can be helpful but they are not the difference of being able to run or not run long distance.

I just think running gets a little too complicated with all the products that are out there. I just want to go out and run.

Happy training

Feb 27, 2011
    2,050. Feb 17, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to skypilot77)

skypilot77 Thanks for adding your feedback. I'm curious your obviously an experienced Marathoner. What do you use during your marathons in place of gels that would give you the needed fuel supply to finish once you deplete your bodies glycerin storage usually around miles 18 - 22 ? Can a runner go out and run a marathon with the average finish time of 4:22;00. without adding any additional nutrition than what was consumed prior to the start of the race ? Looking forward to hearing your normal race day plan. especially since several of us will embark on our first Full Marathon in 2012.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• phamvantrung Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 17, 2012
    2,051. Feb 17, 2012 7:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,052. Feb 17, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Webpro11:

Thanks so much for the information and your feedback ..........

I reflected back on my weekend and I think I had some allergies hitting me from being in PHX for three days and running the desert mt. trails; never had allergies until moving to AZ where we have lived the longest (10 yrs); we were moving about every 2-3 yrs, probably not enough time for allergies to form. 

So I think my system was kinda fighting something but thank goodness I have a pretty good immune system in fighting colds.

I was feeling pretty blah all weekend and as you all know, we runners decide to make ourselves feel better by RUNNING .......... Can't believe I actually lasted the 10 MILES .......was sooo pathetic, haha!!  Toughening up my mental ability seems to be all it did .......... I was never so relieve to get off the threadmill, absolutely exhausted, haha!! 

I rested Monday, ate well, hydrated with water and OJ, and Tuesday training run was awesome that I did run two miles longer than planned, could have probably run up to 15 but didn't push myself; THOSE DAYS WILL COME! 

I am mindful of what I eat on a daily basis especially prior to my training runs and races.  Prior to my trying the Hammer HEED (Sunday was the first time), I am one of those runners who does have a banana, half a bagel about an hour before and Gatorade Prime (pre-race) about 15 minutes before and, Perform (and water) during the race. 

Every runner has their own routine with training and racing and this seems to be working for me; did the same with my marathons, 25k (technical trail race), and 10 milers.  I feel fine, don't feel depleted, and has resulted with my HMs under 2 hours, which isn't bad for a 51 yr old (52 next month)!! 

As you know, I ran a HM in 2:07 (my 'slowest') last month after only 7 days of training after a 3 month hiatus ................. I seemed to have 'recovered' well too. 

I have been active all my life and take pride in staying 'healthy' ......... I cannot 'not' exercise in some form or another ........ but I think PRIDE has something to do with it too, LOL! 

I do have a mean competitive spirit and want to challenge what my body is capable of, thus prefer trail running/races ......... but not an 'elite' athlete by any means, but I don't get caught up in relying on energy drinks/gels, etc... I think it's an individual choice and it takes time to find what works best for you in regard to training, races, distances, etc....

I tried the Hammer gel on my Tuesday run in addition to plain ole' regular drink, Powerade, and water during my 12.2 miles.  Felt super!!  Less muscle fatigue too.  I think I will try that combination on Sunday HM. 

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts as I did ask for them, and certainly appreciate those who offered their own perspective on it as well.  That's what I love and EXPECT from these posts.  So thanks again!

Trail runner

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,053. Feb 18, 2012 5:12 AM (in response to az2mn)

If no one minds I'd like to add my 2cents on the gel topic. Thats probably what it's worth but here goes. I've only ran 2 fulls and a few halfs and I am a mid packer but I have experimented with the gels during my training. I was taught that you never try anything new on the day of the race and it was great advise. Any gels that I have tryed so far have had a terrible effect on my stomach. I will spare you the details. As was stated we are all build different and we have to find what works for us. To be total honest I still am trying to perfect it for myself. I think being diabetic has made it a little more difficult. What has worked as best as I can find so far is to eat carbs a week out instead of what a lot of people do by carb loading the night before. Being careful not to eat so much as to put additional weight on. God knows I already am carring more than I should. On race morning I have a banana, yogurt and about a third of a cup of coffee. Then during the race I never pass up a water station. They have always been well stocked with anything I could want. How I feel at the time decides what I grab which is usually fruit. I alternate water and gatorade at every other stop but always rehydrate careful not to take in too much as I dont want to have too much in my stomach. One of my fulls was a very difficult trail race and this too changed how much I put in my body and I even carried a hydrationpack and had to fill it at every water stop after 10 miles in as I sipped on it the rest of the race. I believe for me at least I have to change up what I do depending on the situation and how I feel. Good luck to those running their first full this year.

Feb 27, 2011
    2,054. Feb 18, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to az2mn)

az1414 Looking forward to reading your post after your race. I agree one of the best things about this thread is you get to see other perspectives on topics that you are interested in. Since I have only been running a little over a year. Nutrition especially for older runners interest me. Sometimes it's hard to seperate fact from fiction. My interest in running seems to be moving towards longer endurance runs. Thus my interest in proper fueling. I use The Endurance Athlete's guide to success put out by Hammer nutrition for my information. I'm looking forward to reading post from some Marathoners, Ironman, and Ragnar runners in regards to their fuel plan.

BEST of luck to all running races this weekend.

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

Actions

More Like This