Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

639839 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 327 Previous Next
  • CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,055. Feb 18, 2012 12:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Ugh, One week to race day and today's run was just awful. 2.33 miles started fast but my legs were hurting something fierce. Ended up walking back.  Was torn between "no pain no gain" and "if it hurts like this next week, how am I going to make it through the race?" So Frustrating.

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    2,056. Feb 18, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I am currently jealous of everyone on this forum. I haven't been able to run 3 miles in over 2 weeks due to a shin splint. I did go out to break in some new shoes today. 2.25 miles of walking, stretching, running & repeating.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,057. Feb 18, 2012 3:11 PM (in response to quikyerp)

CKLindsay, that's a shame. Free advice is worth what you pay for it, but you may consider taking 2 or 3 rest days. This close to race day, you won't lose significant fitness.

igotwings, I sympathize. Can you run on natutral surfaces? I find the uneven motion alleviates shin splints.

12 miles on the road today, at a 10:38 pace. I decided to run around Sloan's Lake in West Denver. It's a running icon but I've never run it. I'm not fond of cement paths, but the hardpack snow and the mud are getting old, so I got out the road shoes. Now to get TO Sloan's to run it, I had to run 4.6 miles. First .5 mile is a 3% uphill, then a gentle downhill to the lake. Ran around the lake and then uphill all the way home. I ran negative splits, and felt great at the end. Short sleeve weather-40 degrees and sunny. For the nutrition geeks, I had 8 oz of low fat chocolate milk immediately following my run; and another a half hour later. 30.5 miles this week, a personal best

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,058. Feb 18, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Today's my first long run and end of week 1 Marathon Training. 

You can watch my run in 3D here: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/69791452#video

10.88 miles at 7:38 pace.  Remember your long runs should be easy runs.  That means you should be able to talk when you're running if you can't then you're running too fast. If you can sing when running then you're running too slow and need to pick it up.   lol

I brought along water and sport drink and GU but on used a little water and sport drink at miles 5 and each mile thereafter.  My body is feeling really good, I ended up strong at the end of my run.  Rain and wind were challenging going south but when the road turned north at about mile 3-4 the wind was at my back and, it was like I grew a pair of wings.  That's the best feeling ever when you have the wind at your back when your running. 

• hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    2,059. Feb 18, 2012 4:56 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My run was great...until my ipod died No music or Nike+ to aid my running had me bummed out, but I did get to try out my new heart rate monitor and I'm way stoked on that!

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    2,060. Feb 18, 2012 5:07 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

R4C > Nice job! I wish I would have felt strong but my Shot Blocks wiggle their way out of my pocket and I didn't find them until my return part of the route. So at mile 8 I found them, still in the packet. I quickly downed one only to leave me with an upset stomach

To make things worse my GPS watch flaked out and so did my Mapmyrun app. I had to guess where to turn around. Luckily I was close and my 10 miler was about 10.5.

I hear you on the wind! WOW. It blew so hard it made my legs smack into each other.

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    2,061. Feb 18, 2012 5:41 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OldPlodder - Thanks for the advice... I still want to get a long run in before I leave for the race on Wednesday... which might mean taking sunday and monday off and getting a run in Tuesday. EVERYONE at my house is ill in one way or another, It's going to be a tricky week. :-(

And wow to all these 10+ mile runs! You all are hard core!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    2,062. Feb 18, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was...my first race of the year. Ran the Frosty 5K in Madison, from the state capitol past the Kohl Center and back around to the Capitol square.  It was frosty but not freezing, about 38 degrees at race time.  We also got to watch Nordic ski racing around the square, racing on the trucked in snow!  My Garmin 305 clocked the race at 3.23 miles rather than 3.1, not sure which is more accurate.  Ran a 10:31 pace which for me is OK. 

Greatly encouraged by all your posts!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    2,063. Feb 18, 2012 6:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congratulations on your races everyone, and Run4Coffee...wow that's fast for a long run.

Today I did my longest run ever, 18 miles.  I had surprisingly little pain but battled fatigue on and off. The last 4 miles or so were brutal. Average pace 9:40

I still have trouble imagining running another 8+ miles. I've got a month to be ready. PRESSURE!

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,064. Feb 19, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to LMWEL)

Hey all, been several days since my last post, but i love catching up early along w my cup(s) of coffee. Amazing mileage all! nice pics and very colorful shoes and discussions..    I've been keeping my mileage low but mixing it up for my Tri. Tues: ran 5k then spin class; Wed: ran 3.25 miles then swam 200m; Thurs: rest; Fri: ran 4.5mi then swam 200m; sat: ran 5miles then mtn biked 8.5mi w 972' in elev gain.  today: family trip to LA Mus. of Nat History, then a Tri prep swim class 2-3pm.  Can't wait for all the race reports today...  happy running team.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,065. Feb 19, 2012 7:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I did my first long run since injury - total of 5 miles at 12 mm pace on the treadmill.  I had to make a short pit stop ~ halfway thru for my first experience with 'runner's trots', was so glad I was on the 'mill and not the road!  My recovery drink was a Busch Light about 45 minutes after running when I met up with DH.

Looking forward to all of the race reports!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,066. Feb 19, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to OshCat)

OshCat What a difference ONE good run makes. Ran 4 10mm miles today. Finally felt myself. No more effects from those last two whatever i had bugs,

AlfNinerX Sounds like your ready, Good luck on Tuesday. Wish i could get over the swimming part. Because a Tri is on my bucket list. Might have to settle for a dulathon instead.

Can't wait to hear everybodies race results from this busy weekend....

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,067. Feb 19, 2012 9:56 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I ran 8 miles at a easy pace this morning. Just enjoying the beautiful morning. Came across lots of other runners this mornig which is always cool. At one point I heard chanting coming from behind as I was being followed by a group of what I think were a group from the army. They turned off before they caught me but them being behind me gave me a boost when I needed it. 28 degrees, mostly sunny and little wind at 5 mph. First mile the slowest at 10: 27 and best was mile 6 at 9:02 .  Ended up averaging around 10 mm.  Stayed on the roads but at mile 7 I was on the edge of the crosscountry course for the college. Next week maybe I'll add that 3 mile loop in to the run. Another great Pa. morning up here in the mountains. Life is good my friends.

OshCat congrats on your first long run and sorry about the rest. lol. I like your recovery drink with the exception of the light part. Great to hear you are doing better.

AlfNinerX good to hear from you again. That tri is getting close. Sounds like your right on pace for it.

LMWEL nice mileage and thats great time for that kind of mileage in my book. Good job. I hope to get back to that kind of mileage soon.

runslowdan congrats on your 5k. sounds like an awesome race.

P C the wind makes for a great resistance run but I hate them at the time. Way to get it done with everything working against you.

Run4Coffee that is amazing time for that mileage. You are lightyears ahead of me. Awesome.

Oldpoddler nice run. 12 miles is a goal of mine by next month. Only time will tell.

igotwings I know where you are comimg from. Hang in there and I hope your better soon.

CKLindsay good advise from oldpoddler. You always want to go into a race with rested legs. You will be fine, rest but do enough to stay loose.

Good luck to everyone racing today. I'll be looking forward to reading your post also. Keep running everyone

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,068. Feb 19, 2012 11:14 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

I ran a wonderful 10 miles in my new Saucony Progrid Kinvaras and felt great. No soreness in the calves, which is nice because I was a bit worried about the lower heel-toe offset. Beautiful Berkshire weather, sunny and chilly...in the 20s with just a dusting of new snow. I discovered that the Mace I carry for loose dogs, does NOT work and expired years ago. I learned this after a loose Pit Bull came charging down the road at us!! Luckily he was mostly interested in playing (I think) with my dog who (bless her little heart) protected me quite well. I have other canisters of Mace and am glad I now know this one doesn't work. I carry Mace for bears too, and we are just about into bear season

Debm2011  I'm really loving the new shoes! Hope you get to run outside today

skypilot77  Thanks for that input about gels.

az1414  I can SO relate to your long-tough-alergy-beaten run! That was my long run last week...I felt like I ran the whole 9 miles in knee deep mud! I'm so glad you bounced back and its great to hear your input on the supplements

6xchampsfan Sounds like a beautiful run. Great advice re: Gels!! Thanks so much. I have a sensitive stomach, plus lactose intolerant, so I would be wise to test things out as you suggest.

CKLindsay Bummer. Hope the week improves!

igotwings  Hope that shin splint heals up quickly!!

OldPlodder There ya go!! You are going to have to change your forum name, buddy! You don't sound much like a plodder to me.

Run4Coffee Sah-weet!

hegnessevents.com Bummer about the tunes.

runslowdan Big congrats on the race time!

LMWEL Wow, 18 miles is amazing!

AlfNinerX   **Waves** good to see you.

OshCat "My recovery drink was a Busch Light" <~ LOL!!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,069. Feb 19, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Gratz to everyone's great runs!!! Even if I don't mention it, I love reading about everyone's runs. They really are motivating and quite inspiring. 

I had a really nice 3 miler this morning. It felt really good; my legs were strong, lungs in synch. It was chilly out; about 45 degrees. I had to go out early because the Sharks were playing an early game and Puck Drop was 9am Pacific time. Even though they lost!!!! 

I'll be running 4 miles next Sunday and I can't wait for it!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...