Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

656892 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,385. Mar 12, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to Terranss)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Terranss After spending an hour catching up on all the post on this incrediable thread I missed by traveling on business. I read yours about Izzy. I really mean it when I say I'm sorry about your loss. Your such an incredible runner with inspirational post. BUT it was Izzy (Super Dog) That got me thru many of those runs that we would like to quickly forget. I'd read your post and think ok he's young and quick. Then I read Izzy was with you. I'd tell myself if Izzy could run that far that fast so could I. As a matter of fact my new Matra is "The body is strong The mind is weak." Everytime the going gets tough I think about your runs with you dog. I tell myself it's my weak mind causing me to tire and run slower. If Izzy could do it so could I.  Thanks for sharing Izzy with us all. As the great runner you are. Those same learned skills will get you and help get your wife through this difficult time.

AlfNiner Congratulations on your tri. Great job. I was rooting for you. A sprint tri is on my bucket list as soon as I overcome the fear of the water part.

MelodyLea Hoping your 100% real soon & taking it slow and easy.

To all recovering from recent aliments and injuries. Remember very little endurance is lost in a few weeks. As several of us

coming off back to back bugs have proven.In fact with proper rest and fuel Your body might come back stronger than before.

As for me I haven't posted much lately. On week three of my Half Marathon Plan. Mixed this one up a little, I'm doing my long run as a tempo run. Hoping to decrease my time and get a little closer to that 2hr mark prior to switching over to Fulls.

Thanks to All for such an inspirational Thread. Sorry I did not reconize many who had some great races!!!!

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,386. Mar 12, 2012 8:56 PM (in response to LMWEL)

LMWEL - yeah, def will not be my last; thanks. I truly had fun. There's another mini sprint right by me on April 7, but i'm already doing the Hollywood 10k the same day with at least 3 friends from work. Terranss also signed up; 10K or half?  Amazing bike miles btw.

6xchamp - no worries. I've had the cat n lemon picture for many many years; but being color blind i always thought it was an orange...until someone told me. ha.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,387. Mar 12, 2012 9:02 PM (in response to Webpro11)

webpro11 - thanks for the rooting. Look up a sprint tri near you and do it.  http://www.runningintheusa.com/race/

Much the same way one can walk a race, one can walk/bounce their away across the pool part when you have to. But make sure find out the death ahead of time; had i known most of my swim would have been >10' i would have probably hesitated...  I'm currently working on a few others at work that are scared of running/racing. I keep telling them no one is going to punish them if they decide to walk and rest...some or all of it!  cheers.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,388. Mar 13, 2012 5:05 AM (in response to AlfNiner)

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!  It means a lot.  MelodyLea, Izzy was a black lab.  Here's a pic--thanks so much for the offer!

IMG_0300.JPG

Congratulations to AnaheimHillRunner for the win!  Best of luck training for the Senior Games!

AlfNinerx: Just wait--as those distances get longer, pretty soon those swims will be in the ocean!  Brrrrr....

Didn't end up running last night; took a walk with the wife instead before dance class.  Heading out now for a morning 3-miler, and then I'll get a run in this afternoon before yoga.

Happy running, everyone, and thanks again for your support. 

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,389. Mar 13, 2012 5:25 AM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

6X,

I think the usual protocol for a good taper is the race should be about 3 weeks from your longest run. I have done 2 week tapers before but I find the drop in mileage can be drastic with only a 2 week taper. The written rule is you should reduce your weekly mileage (from peak) 10-20% a week until race day. I know some people that do more cut and I know some that do less. Bottom line is you must allow yourself time to heal from the 50 - 60 mile weeks you'll be putting your body through.

I think Skypilot and I were just a little concerned because it reads that LMWEL did a 17-20 miler 10 days out from the race. I'm certainly not saying he can't run on race day but what he is doing isn't customary training. But what constitutes customary training? Eh, who knows, I usually bank on tried and true running logs that I keep on mileage and I try to do the same routine that has worked for me in the past.

As for the biking, again, 70 miles would probably be the equivalent of a 15 - 20 mile run. IMO, this is not taper mentality training but to each his/her own.

Hope that helps.

8 miler this morning in a post rain humid 60 degree steam. Seems extremely strange to have 60 & 70 degree temps in Ohio while still in March. It sure does beat 30's.

Stay Healthy!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,390. Mar 13, 2012 8:57 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hello everyone!

Finally feeling sooooo much better .......... on the road to fully recovering!!

Ran a slow and steady run on the TRAIL with lots of hills, yippee!!! In the 50s with a slight breeze but sunny!!  NICE!! 

Spring is in the AIR!!  Lots of hikers/bikers!

Oh, maybe because it's spring break here .............. 

Finished 9.56 miles in 1:44:10, then got REALLY hungry!! haha!!

Planning on running about 10 -12 today and tomorrow again, then rest for Saturday's race .............. just run and finish!!

But will be running a HM in Austin, TX on March 31st so I am concentrating on that for the next two weeks, I really want to do well!! It's a road race, ugh!!!

Soooo glad to be back in the 'living' .............. rarely get sick like that so it was a doozy and depressing time for me!! 

Thank you sooooo much for the well wishes; you all are a blessing, to have support from 'total' strangers really does lift one's spirit in time of need!!

Really hope everyone else has (or on their way to) recovered. 

Terranss:  Feeling your loss, so sorry about Izzy ~ cherish those memories ~ such loyal compannions are few and far in between, I know. 

Webpro11:  good to hear from you; can't wait for your posts on your HM training schedule and race!  Preparing for it mentally can be a task than physical training.

MelodyLea:  wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

AnaheimHillRunner:  WAY TO GO!!  Best of luck in the Senior Games!!

AlfNiner:  WOW!! Awesome finish!!

To anyone I've missed; stay motivated and SAFE AND HAPPY RUNNING!!

Trail runner

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,391. Mar 13, 2012 9:10 AM (in response to az2mn)

Terranss: Izzy was beautiful. I have this little piece of art which I've turned into a gift card. I'd love to "tweak it" just a bit and send you a few copies. I wont be hurt if you decline.

I'm having a heck of a time adding images (keeps crashing my browser) so I'll drop a link instead. http://www.etsy.com/listing/89139650/set-of-four-old-dog-greeting-card-art-by

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    2,392. Mar 13, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Terranss: Sorry to hear about Izzy... I had a black Lab and he was a great friend too. I'm sure Izzy and ol Amos are running around with sticks in their mouths having a great time!!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,393. Mar 13, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Thanks, MelodyLea!  That'd be great... I'll message you my info.

Thanks, Dobrobuck--I like the thought, and will hold on to that.

My 3-miler this morning was a bit on the fast side for me at such an early hour--I got started a bit late (probably a mixture of motivation and daylight savings), and I had an internal clock telling me I needed to go faster today to make it to work on time!  I kicked off the first 1 1/2 miles at 6:45 pace, and then I remembered I wanted something left for later today. So, I dropped down to around 7:30 pace and cruised in for a 21:28 finish.  I ended up feeling like I worked hard, but I definitely wasn't exhausted in the same way I would have been had I kept pushing sub-7's the whole time.

I have yoga tonight, but I'm hoping to get a solid run in before--something in the 4-6 range.  I'm thinking moderate effort with a little fartlek, but we'll see; lately I've been training solely on feel, with far less structure.  It fits my schedule these days so much better, although I do need to increase my efforts to get in a good track workout. 

Happy running, everyone!

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,394. Mar 13, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to MarathonDream)

MarathonDream I really do mean it when I say I appreciate your input. I honestly do take in what is posted here and try to incorporate it in to my training. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. When I said I ran 2 marathons I should have mentioned I wasn't happy with the times of either. I do realize I will never win one or even my age group but my goal is to run one under 4 hrs which I know isn't hard for some but something I haven't accomplished yet. I trained with long runs up to 3 weeks out and would do long bike rides in about 2 weeks out in place of my longer runs. I will do things differently this time but the marathon I'm running in Sept. isn't one that I could ever run in 4 hrs. I believe the winning time last year was just over 4 hours but I have hopes of beating my time from last year. I will have to find a road race to give it another shot. Thanks again for the info. Keep running everyone.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2,395. Mar 13, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to MarathonDream)

piggy-backing on the dream's post again -- the taper is an important part of the training plan because it involves rest. Proper rest has as much value as time on the road.

The reason, as I understand the physical dynamics, of a 3 week taper is that a work out done today will not have any effect until 3 weeks down the road. Thus, it is reasoned, why keep trying to push the high mileage for a marathon, if it is not going to physically help running the marathon. Couple that together with the need for the body to rest, heal, and re-charge --- the 3 week taper seems sound imo.

During the taper the running which is involved is done to keep the cardio maintained. In fact, I have found that during the taper my cardio has improved. It also gives time to work on pace.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,396. Mar 13, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7.05 miles 57 min 8:05 pace. Bridge and back. 30 min out 27 min back. Rain and sunshine at the same time.

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,397. Mar 13, 2012 8:31 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Wow! What a week from all our active friends.  My runs have been going really well expect for this week with day light savings because waking up feels like I’m waking up an hour earlier.  Wait.  I am waking up an hour earlier.  Ok 4 a.m. when it’s really 5 a.m.  is not fun, especially when you end up watching a movie until 11 p.m.  Anyway, 6 miles Monday and 3 miles on the treadmill for me this morning, speed training tomorrow morning with 4 x 800’s.  I’m racing in a 5K this Saturday with my running buddy who’s going to pushing a double stroller with his wife.  We have different start times so we won’t be actually running together.  I going to try to run 5K in 18 minutes, we’ll see…

NHLA - Nice run!

skypilot77 - I also have a 3 week taper built into my Marathon program.

6xchampsfan – I wish I could give you advice on how to get under a 4 hour Marathon, but heck I’ve never run that far before.  Kudo’s for you on have a couple under you.  If you have a treadmill or access to a treadmill, here’s a great workout that guarantees you speed.  I tried it and it’s amazing!  It was designed by Gale Bernhardt who was the 2003 USA Triathlon Pan American Games and 2004 USA Triathlon Olympic coach for both the men's and women's teams. Her first Olympic experience was as a personal cycling coach at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. Thousands of athletes have had successful training and racing experiences using Gale's pre-built, easy-to-follow training plans.

Treadmill Workout: Guaranteed Speed!

Terranss – Your times are really close to mine.  Reading your post really push me.  I’m also sorry about Izzy.  I have a 8 year old Beagle named Lady and I never could run with her, she’s good for about a mile and then want to sniff around at everything.  Here’s a pic of her just to make you smile.

MelodyLea – Nice artwork for Izzy.  Hope that foot is better.  Are you a heel striker, mid-foot or toe runner?  In the movie the Spirit of the Marathon.  Marathoner Olympic Medalist & American Record Holder Deena Kastor develops a stress fracture in her foot, she uses a hydro pool to run in for her rehab and she heals.  spirit-of-the-marathon

AlfNinerX- I want to try a tri.  We have on Kirkland and I went to down to the lake to see them swim then went to the transition areas.  How cool. 

Tips I learned not to do in a Tri:

1. Don’t forget your wet suit
    2. Speedo’s are out of fashion unless you want to attract attention to yourself
    3. Spandex just above the knee swim short are in.
    4. When take off your wetsuit don’t pull off your shorts with your swim suit without knowing, you’ll have your girlfriend or wife telling you that you’re running naked.
    5. Don’t let the guy in the Huffy 10 speeds pass by you while you’re on your “supposed to be” fast and expensive racing tri bike.

Webpro11 – I hear ya!  Getting under that 2 hour ½ Marathon hump is a huge milestone.   You can do it.  Just work on those tempo runs, hills, and form.  Have you tried lighter shoes?  My race shoes are only 6.9 ounces, I use those for speed training and racing.  I use more stabilizer and cushioned shoes for all my other training runs.   Try a pair a Brooks Green Silence, you feel 20 lbs lighter.

Debm201 – Ok rub the weather thing in…lol   In Seattle it snowed today.  Brrrrr

Jmsab23 – Ditto.  Dark running I’m used to it now, but this day light savings time is throwing me off.  It takes me about 10 days to get used to the time difference even if it’s just 1 hour.  We go to Italy every other year to visit family near the Adriatic and it takes 10 days for me to get used to the time there as well.  Ah, running through the towns next to the Adriatic now that’s fun.

LMWEL - You sound like you had a tough 20 miler.  The farthest I’ve ever run was 16 but I’ll be there in a few weeks.  My program is Hal Higdon’s Advance program and he has you run 3 20 milers in the 18 week program.  Your body has to get used to being on the road that long so you can survive 26 miles 385 yards.

Attachments:
  • scottdeclan Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012
    2,398. Mar 13, 2012 11:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Much the same way one can walk a race, one can walk/bounce their away across the pool part when you have to. But make sure find out the death ahead of time; had i known most of my swim would have been >10' i would have probably hesitated...  I'm currently working on a few others at work that are scared of running/racing.

Watch 21 jump street movie online

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,399. Mar 14, 2012 6:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Didn't get to run after work yesterday, so I had to wait until later after dinner to run. Sat down to watch the Bruins and got so upset I started my weights/core exercises while bumming out. I wasn't feeling it, but I started on the TM at around 9:15 p.m. and managed a 4-mile run in 33:18.

If the weather holds out, I'll put in a few outdoors today. If not, I'm going to try the treadmill speed workout Run4Coffee posted. I have a similar workout already, but I'll give this one a shot. Thanks, BTW, Coffee.

Webpro (or anyone else who's training for or who has run a 1/2):    I'm doing my first 1/2 in three weeks, and I really haven't thought much about a specific method of tapering (do you really taper that much for a 1/2?), other than reducing the mileage and exertion for a couple weeks prior. Any thoughts?? I've been running for about two years, mostly 5ks (avg. 21:20 or so), before going up to a 10k last November (46:22). I've done three 1/2s on the TM this winter, with no real bad effects. My long runs outdoors are about 10 miles.

I average about 25-30 miles/wk.     

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...