Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

730292 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,400. Mar 14, 2012 7:01 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

4.5 mi last nite and crosstrain today, some biking will be the ticket!!! Should be about 80 degrees in IL today--crazy but I'll take it!!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,401. Mar 14, 2012 7:21 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Cut back 20% on mon and tues. and stay off hills. Only run 2-3 miles wed. with a little speed mixed in. Take two or three days off. You don't need to taper as long as a marathon because you have not done as much damage to your body training.

• NoogaTiger16 Amateur 32 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    2,402. Mar 14, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to NHLA)
    My last run was...how was yours?

jmsab23-I was wondering the same thing with all of the taper conversation lately and my first half coming up in three weeks. What half are you doing? I'll be running the Knoxville half April 1.

Battle of Mobile Bay 5k-2/18/12 (24:55)

Scenic City 5k-2/25/12 (24:43)

Gateway Bank and trust 5k-3/17/12 (23:33) PR

Knoxville Half Marathon-4/1/12 (1:55:29) PR

Chickamauga Chase 15k-4/21/12

King of the Mountain 4mile-5/5/12

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,403. Mar 14, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to NHLA)

jmsab23: I agree with NHLA... you don't need to taper as long for a half as you would for a marathon.  As Skypilot77 mentioned in a prior thread, the workouts you do won't translate into physiological adaptations for 3 weeks, so beating up your legs now for your upcoming half won't improve your conditioning for that race.  It's best to work with on aerobic maintenance and pace work, maybe with easy speedwork mixed in, as NHLA mentioned above.  That being said, the problem with tapering too long is that your fitness will stagnate for the length of your taper after your race!  So, if you taper for two weeks instead of three, you'll be getting back into the swing of things faster with the shorter taper.  As you grow accustomed to the half distance, you may eventually get to the point where you can train straight through your half marathons, in anticipation of longer or more important races.  For me, I race so often that I only choose a couple of "A" races per year in which I will actively taper down my mileage, otherwise I would never be able to train properly! 

Best of luck to you in running your first half!  In following your posts I know that you have been putting in solid miles and great workouts, and you are set up for great success!

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words re: Izzy, and thanks for the great picture, Run4Coffee!  I hope you have many more years together your Lady!

I ran close to 4 miles last night, and although my brain and legs wanted to go further, my GI system said otherwise and I had to head on home.  Because of the short run, though, I was able to get to the yoga studio early and I got some barefoot running done inside the building.  The studio has a hardwood surface, so it was buttery smooth and not nearly as hard as sidewalk/asphalt, so it was a perfect place to work on my barefoot stride.  I probably did about half a mile, which was a great warm-up for the yoga session.  The yoga class itself was exactly what I needed too--I was able to work out a lot of tension that I'd built up over the last week.  All in all, it was a great and fulfilling evening.

This morning, my wife had to wake up really early for an engagement she has today, so I was out of bed by 4:20 am and then out the door and running by 4:40, so I was able to get in a nice and easy 6 this morning.  Core and upper body workout scheduled for this afternoon--maybe a short run, too, if there's time!

Happy running, everyone!

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,404. Mar 14, 2012 10:11 AM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss - uh, not sure i want to try longer swim distances or the ocean just yet...(key word being yet)

az1414 - thanks; nice mileage in the spring hills! i LOVE eating after a good run/race...

MelodyLea - very nice art work

Run4Coffee - funny tips on the Tri. The one I did is geared for beginners, as such, it looks like they didn't require swimsuits, any old shorts will do. There were plenty of "pros" out there in full Tri suits and bikes though. I saw many of them pass me up on the bike. I wore basic running shorts, no spandex. And i biked in my running shoes (no special clipons).

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,405. Mar 14, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to scottdeclan)

scottdeclan - oops; funny typo on my part.....possibly Freudian?  ha.  yes, make sure you check pool DEPTH, not death, ahead of time.

I finally ran 4.5mi today after the sat Tri. odd thing my thighs felt immediately sore. prob not hydrated well enough.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,406. Mar 14, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA and Terranss.... Thanks for the tips. I didn't think one would have to taper too much. And Terranss, you hit on exactly what I was thinking -- if you had to taper so much before these races, you wouldn't be doing too much training during your peak season!!

Nooga.... My 1/2 is in Maine on April 7th, on the runways of an old Navy air base  ..... FLAT!!!!!!! I figured that would be a good start for my longer races. Good luck to you in Knoxville.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,407. Mar 14, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Another 3.5 miler this morning, BUT the injured foot IS getting better! Yay. Oddly, running uphill hurts less, so I'll keep pouring on the effort on every uphill. I'm hoping to be back fully by next week, fingers crossed.

NHLA Sweet!

Run4Coffee In response to your question, I really hit on the ball of my foot, but supinate badly. I'll check out that link! I'm thinking this could be a stress reaction...not a fracture since it gets better toward the end of a run and there is no tenderness when I press on the injury. Precious pup, thanks for sharing a pic of Lady. Being a beagle, she just cant help following her nose. right? Good luck on the 5k this weekend.

Terranss Ah-ha, that's who donated to my "Run For The Critters"!! Thank you!! I'll send out some "Izzy" art cards tomorrow or Friday. I hope you enjoy them. Beautiful workouts. You are such an inspiration.

AlfNinerX Thanks! I saw that typo and chuckled.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NoogaTiger16 Amateur 32 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    2,408. Mar 14, 2012 4:54 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Whew it's been warm the past couple of days in Chattanooga, over 80 already. 5 miles yesterday evening @ 8:20, hills today instead of a pace day on my schedule. I've got some nasty hills within a couple of miles from my house. I had to walk once, about 3/4 up a 125 ft climb over a 1/4 mile, made the longer hill that's 160 ft over a half mile seem easy. I won't walk at all next wednesday when I hit the hill route again. That was also the first time I've felt like my legs wanted to cramp during a run. Tomorrow calls for 3 easy on the schedule, I was toying with the idea of just taking two days rest before a 5k on Saturday, but I'm just going ahead with it, and keep it real easy.

Glad to hear people are healing well and bouncing back strong!

Keep up the good work folks!

Battle of Mobile Bay 5k-2/18/12 (24:55)

Scenic City 5k-2/25/12 (24:43)

Gateway Bank and trust 5k-3/17/12 (23:33) PR

Knoxville Half Marathon-4/1/12 (1:55:29) PR

Chickamauga Chase 15k-4/21/12

King of the Mountain 4mile-5/5/12

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,409. Mar 14, 2012 7:16 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.26  52 min. 80 degrees here today!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,410. Mar 14, 2012 7:41 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

2.25 miles tonight - work is sapping my energy this week.  Don't you hate when work gets in the way of life?

Terranss - Izzy was so beautiful - thanks for sharing her picture. 

Roy -  Love the pic of Lady.  My neighbors have a Beagle and they are full of personality (beagles, not my neighbors haha).  As for weather, I'm in New England where the motto is if you don't like the weather wait a minute. LOL  Despite that beautiful weather we had Sun-Tues,  today was freezing - never got out of the 40's  - gray and damp all day. 

Melody -  Glad your foot's on the mend.  Lovely labrador card.

Great runs everyone.  Keep up the good work.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,411. Mar 14, 2012 8:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks everyone for their input on tapering.  Run4Coffee I will check out thesite you suggested and give it a try. Thx. I biked with a friend last night after work. 27 miles on a road ride. I haven't rode with him since last year and it was a blast catching up. He's a heck of a rider but he took it easy on me as it was only my second rode ride of the season. We managed around 12mph so it was more about spending time with a friend. It was to be a run day for me but my wife planned a family picnic with our son and his wife and daughter. 72 degrees and sunny. I can't believe we were at the lake mid march on a picnic!  It was a great time so I didn't mind missing my run for family but as luck would have it she picked a table right next to the running trail that goes around the lake. Dozens of runners and walkers coming by really made it hard not to take off for a quick 3 miler. That quickly pasted as I spent the next hour chasing around my grandaughter. She is my new running partner. lol. I changed my pic here to one I took today from the time I spent with her. Life sure is good. Run tomorrow for sure as its going to be another beautiful day.

MelodyLea I glad your starting to feel better.

Terranss that sure is an early run.  I liked reading your take on tapering too. This sure is a great forum with so many great runners.

Dobrobuck you got to love this weather don't ya. Hope you enjoyed your biking

Great job to everyone else. Keep running everyone.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,412. Mar 15, 2012 5:17 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Well, I got into one of the toughest races to get into in Maine... the Beach To Beacon 10k in August. They take about 6,500 runners, but it sells out in just a few minutes. I was right on the web site at 7 a.m. today and "sprinted" through the registration pages and was glad when I saw the confirmation come up. My first time. It was started 10 years ago by Joan Benoit Samuelson, the Olympic Gold medalist marathoner from Maine. It showcases some of the country's best distance runners, along with what is probably the largest race field of any road race in Maine. It runs along the Maine coast and is a highly anticipated race for runners from all over. Now I'm pumped.

Run4Coffee.... I did the treadmill speed workout you linked yesterday, and I had to laugh when I got to the end. My TM only goes up to 10%, so I pushed the speed up on the third set and ran faster at 10%. Then I got off, lowered the incline to 0, and got back on. I almost ran into the TM front console!! It really does feel like you're running faster!! I'm going to incorporate that into my training maybe once a week or so.

DebM.... Yeah, the weather here in New England. Tuesday it was almost 70 here, and yesterday we got snow. The ground was covered with a light coating when I got up today.

Melody.... Lucky You!!! It hurts less to run uphill!?!?!? We should all be so fortunate!!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,413. Mar 15, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I think I might have a Stress Reaction in my foot. From what I've read the only cure is to not run on it. I am SO bummed! But, I'll go get an Xray to confirm...boo hoo

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    2,414. Mar 15, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

A stress facture is a real bummer, and the only way to heal it is no running.

I had a stress fracture on my knee when I was a senior in high school. But I was stubborn and insisted on trying to continue to run. I basically ruined my cross-country season, hurt myself, and hurt my team.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get back to running too soon. The only way to know if you are completely healed is by x-ray/mri.

In terms of my running, I did not run last Monday to give myself a rest from the 5K race the previous day. I was so elated and excited from the competition, that I did not feel the fatigue until the following day.

I have been feeling tired all week. After my day off on Monday, I ran an easy 5.3 miles on Tuesday in a time of 47 minutes. Wednesday, moderately paced 2 miles in a time of 14:06, and today, 7 miles in 55 minutes. I have to say that I might have pushed too hard today. I ran with a younger colleague, and I didn't want to slow him down.

Keep up the good work, everyone.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...