Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577718 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 ... 327 Previous Next
  • countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,685. Apr 22, 2012 2:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Ogr44, Good job on your race, glad your knees held up

Melody, I think that's a great way to celebrate your 25th! My anniversarynis in Aug as well

Guayquilwriter, your soccer games sound like fun! And a great workout too.

DSJ80, great job on your race

Swebb, I think I feel equaly sluggish on all of my runs, lol. But I admit it's always extra hard to make myself get up early for my Saturday long run when I don't need to (for kids' school or work). Thank goodness for Sunday!

NHLA, run+mountain are 2 words that I will probably never use together myself! Impressive stuff!

6x, That sounds like a nice peaceful run.

Yesterday was a LSR of +12 miles. My running partner joined me and all I can say is I'm glad I'm tapering. I felt quite worn down. Is it normal to feel this way 2 weeks out from a marathon? Hmm. Anyways, rest day today so I decided to work with my horse and then the kids and I did some riding in the nearby fields.

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,686. Apr 22, 2012 4:42 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

After last night's devastating loss by my Beloved Sharks (love them, win or lose), a good, long run was just what I needed. I did get a nice run in yesterday, 2.5 miles. It was warm out already at 8am. I ran a little faster than usual, which was nice. Today's run was 6 miles, nice and slow. It felt great. I gave platelets to the Blood Center yesterday, so I wasn't sure how I would feel today, but I hydrated well and ate A LOT last night! OK, I went a little overboard, but that's what happens when I'm stressed out over my team on the verge of being eliminated by the Cup Playoffs. I feel good; my stomach was little upset after lunch, not sure if it was from the run or the platelet donation yesterday, or a combination or both. So I'm just drinking more water and that seems to help. My next run is Tuesday, so a day off will help.

Gratz to all your runs, good luck to all your races and for those hockey nuts like me, good luck if your teams are still in the running and my sympathies if yours is out, like mine. Boohoo!!! Next year, watch out!

• KennethRayhon Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012
    2,687. Apr 22, 2012 5:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I am currently training for 4 obstacle course races this year and have been doing some short distance races to warm up.  I completed my 1st half marathon(Jersey Shore, Sandy Hook) last summer in 1:45:24.  I just wanted to talk about a great event I was part of today for a great cause.  The Stomp The Monster 5K race for those affected by cancer.  The weather in New Jersey was terrible today and still over 1,000 people cam out for the event.  It was for a grat cause and I had my personal best for a 5K today @ 21:41.  I wasn't born a runner and am doing my best with my build, 5 feet 9 inches and 206lbs, makes running pretty challenging.  I love doing races when there is a charity involved.  If you want to check out some info on the event here is a link Stomp The Monster Race Review . I have the Hero Rush Race next weekend, which is a firefighter themed obstacle course race which I am pretty excited for.  I am not really a runner, so I am crossing over to obstacle course racing. 

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,688. Apr 22, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to KennethRayhon)

Your times are fine.You will improve for the next three years so breaking 20 in a 5k is possible. I'm running a mud run june 3rd. .

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,689. Apr 22, 2012 6:54 PM (in response to NHLA)

Hey all, i been a slackin'!  I only ran wed and fri this week ~5 miles each; felt ok-good on the runs, but guilty i didnt run more. Then on sat night i went over a friends house and ate and drank (which i rarely do) more than i should have, getting home around midnight. However, i felt guilty enough that i still got up at 545 and put in ~5mi this morning... I hope to have a better week coming up.  I did sign up for another Half in June and plan to do a 10k trail race in a few weeks.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    2,690. Apr 22, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to AlfNiner)

Rough week for running here.  Just didn't have the desire to get out there this week, but still put in some time on the TM.  Next Saturday I have the Crazylegs Classic 8K in Madison, so yesterday I did 5 miles at race pace.  Not sure what I did wrong, but since then I've had an ache deep in my right butt cheek.  I'm going to take it easy and walk and stretch each day to try to get ready for the race.  Hopefully I'll be able to run it and not change to walking most of the time. Any suggestions for quick recovery appreciated!

Continue to enjoy all the posts and amazing exploits.  Keep it up!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,691. Apr 22, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi All:

Guayquilwriter - nice soccer game.  As my son's elementary gym teacher always said, "if you had fun you've won!"

Melody  - What a great way to spend your anniversay!  I love Maine in August.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Ogr44 - glad to hear the knee is on the mend.

OldPlodder  - nice work - a little running, some volunteering, a nap, and then more running. Sounds like a great way to spend a day.

Swebb0310 - weekday runs are harder than weekends for me,but I think I am more sleep deprived M-F. 

6x - nice job on your race - sounds like a good run this a.m. too.  Snow?  I'm glad that's not coming here.  40's and raining here.

DSJ80 - "I was able to run back a little faster" - nice!

NHLA - wow - inspiring and impressive.

isewinsf - nice run - sorry about your Sharks.

AlfNinerX - that's not slacking - it's just a cutback week

Last week was crazy busy at work even though (or because?) it was only a 4 day week due to Patriot's Day.  Monday was 4 miles, Weds I was lucky to get to 2 miles (my %^#! calves were screaming at me), Friday was 3.5 miles.  Calves were a little tight, but not quite so angry.  Sat. was a 2 mile hike in the woods with the dog.  This morning I got in a 7.5 mile long slow run - rain held off with just a little drizzle.  First 3 miles were brutal - my calves were tight again so I stopped to stretch and do ankle circles once per mile. But the last 4.5 miles were a piece of cake - calves were happier, breathing was easy, and my attitude was good.  I had only planned 7 and tacked on the extra .5 just because I could. 

Happy running!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,692. Apr 23, 2012 5:31 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran my flat 5.5 mile route this past Saturday, felt excellent.  It was my first run since I tore my legs up on a very technical 5k trail race the previous Sunday.  After the 5 rest days my legs felt excellent during my run.

I'm running tonight and Wednesday then I'm on my way to Madison WI for the Crazylegs Classic on the 28th.  I'm a Crazylegs 'rookie', very excited to be part of it this year.

Cheers!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,693. Apr 23, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Great runs everyone, and congrats to all of the racers!

Melody, your anniversary plans sound great

Runslowdan & Snerb, Crazylegs sounds fun, have a great time!  In my race packet from this weekend was an ad for a Halloween costume run in Mad-town that sounds like a blast.  I might have to see if I can convince a couple of friends to get together and go down there for it.

I had a great run this weekend.  I was able to run my entire 5k (except walking through the water station) with no pain   I was mentally prepared to walk as needed since I've only been back running three weeks.... right up until I arrived at the starting line haha, then my brain changed to "we are only walking if we absolutely HAVE to!"

They changed the route at the very end this year so there wouldn't be two quick turns just before the finish, this year the turns were further back and there was a nice straight-away at the end.  I had enough energy to put in a really good final sprint, especially when I saw the clock time at the finish line ahead of me.

My chip time ended up to be 34:57, 12th out of 36 in my age group, at an 11:14 overall pace which is better than all but one of my 5k's last year!!!  When I saw the clock time as I approached the finish I nearly cried I was so happy.

My next goal is to help get my friend back in the groove for a 5k at the beginning of June.  If all continues to go well I'll start thinking of doing a Half in Sept, I know of two in the area that sound good.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,694. Apr 23, 2012 3:01 PM (in response to OshCat)

Ogr44 The Maine 1/2 is Sept 30th

6xchampsfan Thanks. I'm glad you found the silver lining in your race. Get that snow??

NHLA WOW!

OldPlodder Nice job, buddy!

Swebb0310 I'm a morning runner myself...afternoon and evenings are just too sluggish/slow/tummy troubles.

DSJ80 Big congratulations for you 20K!

isewinsf Sorry about your Sharks.

KennethRayhon Your 5K sounds awesome, good for you!

AlfNinerX Congrats on signing up for the 1/2

runslowdan I've got some great Yoga stretches for that set of muscles. Message me?

Debm2011 Thanks! Nice job on all those miles, especially considering the tight calves.

Snerb Best of luck on the Crazylegs Classic!

OshCat CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so proud of you. Whoot!

countryrunner1 Thanks! I just read an article about rest. The line that really stuck in my head went something like: Remember to take your rest days or you will LOSE all the hard work prior to the rest day. That really hit home for me. The point I'm making for you, is...it's obviously time for you to take a nice long rest before your marathon.

Speaking of rest. My Saturday run was sluggish and tough. Sunday I felt tired, today the light bulb went off in my head (sore body, tired, stuffy head) a cold is knocking! So I took two days off to rest. Hopefully I kicked this sneakiy cold in the a_ _!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    2,695. Apr 23, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to OshCat)

OshCat- good job on 5K!  I had planned on the Appleton HM in September, but conflicts with CME I need to go to.  The Dells has one in late October, and there is one in Green Lake the weekend of Labor day.  we will see.  I'm trying to remind myself to go slow and easy, too easy for me to get too stiff and sore.  Good luck.

Snerb-see you in Madison Saturday with 20,000 or our closest friends.           Meet you at the 50 yard line of Camp Randall!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,696. Apr 23, 2012 9:35 PM (in response to justrundan)

oshcat: nice job on the 5k!

melodylea: great plan for your 25th.  we just celebrated 23 as wife chauffered me to/from the HM!

snerb: good luck in cazy legs...go get em!

countryrunner: nice LSR...you are ready for the big day!  rest up and fuel up.

oldplodder: c u at bolder boulder!

Back to training today. Nice slow 6.25 miles with lots of elevation. 200 foot climb in mile 6.  feels great to grind it out and see the expression on driver's faces like i am nuts...maybe i am!

Have a great week, and keep up the good work, all!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,697. Apr 23, 2012 10:13 PM (in response to NHLA)

nhla: impressive weekly mileage.  i get tired just thinking about it1

dsj80: nice work on the 20k and good luck on the broad street!  I'm coming back to PA for the RW HM in October...any chance you will be there?

Glad to hear about every one on the mend and getting back to it.  After missing two months last year to injury, I know how frustrating that can be.  One of my major goals this year is to be injury free the whole year.  So far, so good...long way to go.

All miles are good miles so keep the faith, and smile at/encourage everyone you come across!

• Richard True Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    2,698. Apr 24, 2012 5:50 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran 6 this morning, grateful for the nice cool weather, and slowly recovering from the marathon. Starting to feel normal again!

4/15/12 Marathon 4:59:10

9/15/12 5K Run For the Hills 24:21

10/21/12 Rock N Roll Half Marathon 1:55:21

Next race: Williams Route 66 Marathon

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,699. Apr 24, 2012 5:53 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Oshcat - Congratulations!

'Sconnie runners - just what is the Crazylegs? I don't think I'll be travelling to Madison; just wondering.

Linuscatch - When you register for Boulder, let me know your bib number. I'm picking mine up tonight.

A little over 4 this am at dawn. 50 degrees; pink/orange sunrise...couldn't get any more beautiful! Just missed a deer at the stream crossing. The water in the hoofprints was still settling as I crossed. 1 mile warmup, then 3 miles of 2 minutes at 7:30, followed by 1 minute jog.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...