Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

736876 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,700. Apr 24, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Hello Runners!

So sorry I have been away for a couple of weeks. I usually really try to get increasingly focused the 2 weeks leading up to a marathon. This is actually the first time I have been able to get online and read everyone's incredible posts. Per usual, this thread is ever changing and appears that things are really falling into place for everyone.

As for me, I ran the Glass City Marathon (Toledo, Ohio) this past Sunday. It was a nice cool morning and the race has a relatively smaller field. I think the full and 1/2 marathon total population was around 5,000 runners. This also includes a 5 person relay - oh those relay teams can certainly make you angry as they sprint by you late in the race. Luckily, this race has them clearly identified by a "relay" bib clipped to each runners back. Seeing this can calm you down as you know they probably just started.

Anyway, I won't bore you with all of the details but I felt pretty strong throughout the race. Ran a flat 1:53 front and a 1:55 back for a total time of 3:48:01. Just a couple of minutes off of my PR but I was happy with the way I ran. My last marathon was a few minutes slower and I attributed that to not running very smart. This time I kept to my plan of 8:35's to 8:40's and didn't tire as much at the end.

It only took me 10 marathons to figure out how to run smart.

Now I need to rest for a couple of days and get ready for my 50k on 5/12/12.

Stay Healthy, Everyone!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,701. Apr 24, 2012 6:29 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

OldPlodder wrote:

Oshcat - Congratulations!

'Sconnie runners - just what is the Crazylegs? I don't think I'll be travelling to Madison; just wondering.

Linuscatch - When you register for Boulder, let me know your bib number. I'm picking mine up tonight.

A little over 4 this am at dawn. 50 degrees; pink/orange sunrise...couldn't get any more beautiful! Just missed a deer at the stream crossing. The water in the hoofprints was still settling as I crossed. 1 mile warmup, then 3 miles of 2 minutes at 7:30, followed by 1 minute jog.

http://www.crazylegsclassic.com/index.cfm

It's an 8k run that starts at the State Capitol and ends at the 50 yard line inside Camp Randall.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,702. Apr 24, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to Snerb)

linuscatch I love that! Re:"feels great to grind it out and see the expression on driver's faces like i am nuts" Oh, yeah!

Rich True Nice work on the recovery!

OldPlodder Your morning run sounds dreamy!! Nice.

MarathonDream Congratulations on the marathon. You are truly an inspiration!! I mean that.

I ran a strong 5 miles this morning with uphill Fartlek (ouch) Felt super! Yay.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,703. Apr 24, 2012 10:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

11 miles 1 hr 21 min. Pushed the whole way. Marathon dream: great pacing in your marathon!

• countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2,704. Apr 24, 2012 1:18 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congrats to all you racers on your awesome performances and good luck to those racing this weekend. The 8k distance sounds interesting since I usually struggle at the 10k--I tend to go out close to my 5k pace and then die a mile or so before the finish line.

Melody and Linus--Thanks and I will definately heed your advice and rest up!  I was still feeling sluggish on yesterday's 4 miler and today's 5 miler. So tomorrow is rest day. And I'm gonna focus on nutrition and hydration as well these next 2 weeks. I lug my water bottle along with me all day and then forget to drink. DOH!

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,705. Apr 24, 2012 4:15 PM (in response to countryrunner1)

Hi everyone!  It's been a couple of weeks since my last post, but I've still been keeping up with everyone's posts, and you're all continuing to provide inspiration for me.  My apologies for not doing my part with the inspirational bits; what turned out to be an incredibly crazy March has spilled over into an equally ridiculous April!  Between work, running, swimming, and dancing, I've barely been able to get enough sleep to keep going, let alone "play" on the internet!

Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do, so here goes!  ...First of all, in my last few posts I mentioned that I was struggling in the pool, and my apologies if I missed anyone else's advice, but Julia66's post I found really, really helpful.  Thank you for that, Julia66!  I didn't end up getting the Total Immersion DVD's, but I spent some time YouTubing swimming techniques, and got a lot of pointers out there as well.  I'm now in the pool two times a week, and I'm up to 2.5K per session now (without stopping, and no pushing off the wall! )  It was literally an overnight transformation--once I figured out how to really swim, then the distance started piling on!  Next step is a wetsuit, and then it's off to the open water. 

Because of the swimming, my running volume has dropped slightly, but I'm still at ~45 miles per week, and I should hit around 180 miles for this month.  I've dropped a good number of my double-run days, instead going slightly longer once per day.  My long runs have been between 15-18 miles, in preparation for the Pasadena Marathon next month.  I know typically people like to run 20+ for training, and normally I would, too, but I haven't been able to block out that kind of time this month... ah well.  I only made the call to run it this last week, since I heard another co-worker was running it.  I'm actually going to train through this one, since I have an ultra coming up.  Considering that I am in much better shape now than I was in my first two marathons, I might PR this despite it being a tougher course and the fact that I haven't "formally" trained for it.  We'll see!

My race schedule for the upcoming months is finally starting to flesh itself out.  This Sunday, April 29th, I'll be running the XTERRA Malibu Creek Trail Race, which is a mountainous 14-miler (3,000+ feet of climbing!).  The week after, on May 6th, I'll be running the trails with AlfNinerX in Glendale, for the Verdugo Mountain 10K.  Two weeks later (May 20th) is the Pasadena Marathon, then on June 10th it's the Holcomb Valley Trail Run (15-miles at 8,000 ft. elevation!), followed by the Harding Hustle 50K ultra on July 10th! 

I hope everyone has a great week.  You are all such an inspiring bunch.  Run well, friends!

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2,706. Apr 24, 2012 5:05 PM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss - I'm so glad my advice was helpful. Sounds like you made excellent improvement! I would like to get back to swimming - as the weather gets warmer I'll probably be more inspired to swim, but that's also when the pools get more crowded. I wish I had a good swimming lake nearby.

MelodyLea - a strong 5 miles sounds like a good sign for your 10K. And I like your anniversary plans. I don't think my husband would want to do a race for our 20th this year, but perhaps we could do a 5K. Problem is I would probably have to go his pace - he's a lot quicker at short distances but can't pace himself and I outrun him on anything longer than a mile.

Last week was bad for running - pain after just a few minutes one day, got into a funk about it, etc. Finally a bit better toward the end of the week.

Yesterday I had my first ever chiropractic adjustment - the Dr. was at the 5K and I figured why not try it. It's looking promising so far and I've got another appointment set up for tomorrow.

I had a great 3.2-mile run today that was actually my best time on one of my standard loops. In my first attempt at any speed work since my injury, I included a total of 8 minutes of fartlek at probably faster than 5K race pace for an overall pace of 10:20. Very little hip soreness - yay!

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,707. Apr 24, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OshCat - nice race!

Snerb/Dan - Crazylegs sounds like fun.  Good luck and enjoy. 

OldPlodder - you set a beautiful scene - I can almost see it.  <contented sigh>

MarathonDream - very impressive.  I can't wait to read about the 50k too.

Melody - fartleks uphill?  you are strong!

Terranss - happy to hear all is going well - I can certainly emphathize with crazy days/weeks/months.  Some impressive races coming up - keep up the good work!

Ran a pretty easy 3 this morning.  Sunrise was nice, air felt good, legs were happy (yay!).  I was in the zone. If only I could bottle that.

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    2,708. Apr 24, 2012 7:50 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OldPlodder- the Crazylegs started as part of a larger fundraiser for the Wisconsin athletic department (that was before the football and basketball teams actually made a profit-lol).  Elroy 'Crazylegs' Hirsch, who was Wisconsins first Heisman trophy winner, was the athletic director.  The race itself was originally a minor part of the fundraiser, but mushroomed into one of the destination races in the midwest. 

It will be the largest race I've done, probably between 18-20,000.  And since it's in Wisconsin, brats and beer will probably be part of the post run refreshments.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,709. Apr 24, 2012 9:01 PM (in response to justrundan)

Debm2011 - i like how you put it...cutback week; definitely was.

Terranss - monster swims! It's confirmed, i just signed up for the Glendale Verdugo 10k! See you there. I have several friends near there (not runners), so if anything i may have a couple join us for the post race monster breakfast...

MelodyLea - thanks!

This morning i was back to my normal self: 3.25 mi at 5k speed followed by spin class; felt great.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,710. Apr 24, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to justrundan)

runslowdan: have a great time at crazy legs...especially the beer and brats after

debm: "in the zone...bottle that..." tell me how to do that as it would make the hard days easy!  Glad you had a good run

julia66:  awesome to have such a good run.  feels good to do race pace with no pain...

terranss: wish my good weeks were as eventful and productive as your bad weeks...keep pushing!

countryrunner: trust the advice on rest, relax and fuel up for race day.  Turns out i pushed too hard on LR and even short runs the week before HM and paid for it 2/3 way thru race.  Rest is far more important than miles at this point...you are ready!

NHLA: Great 11 mile run!

Melodylea:uphill fartlek?  You are an animal!  Sure it felt great to have a strong 5 miles...keep it up!

marathondream: awesome race and incredible pace!  Please share your secret with the rest of us.. Congrats!

Oldplodder:  will let you know as soon as i get bib nmuber for Boulder.  Do you know any good group runs in local area?

Took today off to lift weights and x-train.  Back to roads tomorrow.  Plan to do rock n roll denver HM in september now too.  Looking forward to training in better weather.

Happy, and safe running to all!  Thanks for the encouragement and support to all!

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,711. Apr 25, 2012 5:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linuscatch -  Lots of group runs in the area! Boulder Trail Runners has one nearly every day; Denver Trail Runners 3 times a week. Are you in the Denver area? Email me offlist at blacksho89@yahoo.com . Put "Group Run" in the subject line. I'll link you to the local clubs.

Easy 3 this morning at a 9:30 pace. 1/2 uphill, 2 flat, 1/2 downhill. Anothe gorgeous sunrise.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,712. Apr 25, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

traveling this week so went out for planned easy 5 milles.  Felt good so turned into a fartlek with 6X1:00 intervals at 7:00 m/m pace althought that is probably too fast for me.  Easy recovery jogs in between.  4.8 miles total at 10:00 m/m avg.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,713. Apr 25, 2012 7:10 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I saw the chiro for my post-race 'review' and he said it's likely that my stride is better now than it was all of last year because I got my back straightened out, so he'd take partial credit for my good time   The best news is that I am done with regular visits - hooray!!

After the doc's office I went for a 2.75 mile run down by the lake - mistake!  The lake flies are out so I had to breathe thru my nose when I hit swarms of the little buggers.  At least I managed to not inhale any.  The run felt great, just like "old times."

Debm2011 - "If only I could bottle that." AMEN sista!  Imagine what would happen if non-runners could get a sip of that...

Julia66 - let us know how your chiropractic session(s) go.  I now swear by it

linuscatch - I love it when a regular run feels so good you just have to throw some fartlek into it.  Then you come back home grinning your fool head off and no one understands why

runslowDan - enjoy the beer/brat after your run!  My 'athletic supporter' and I got a good laugh at me having a beer at 8 am on Sunday   8k does sound like a fun distance, I'm wishing I were in shape to tackle it this year but have to say at 18-20,000 my dear athletic supporter (DAS??) would not be happy, he hates crowds.

Long range I'm looking at doing the Fall Colors race across the Mackinac Bridge this year.  It's Oct 6, 5.6 mile distance.  By then I hope to have completed a half-marathon (if I stay healthy!!) so I know the distance won't be a problem.  It just sounds so pretty!  And DAS and I can make it into a vacation trip, if I can convince him

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,714. Apr 25, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to linuscatch)

Linus,

In doing some review of my race it appears the secret is to keep the first 20 at a comfortable pace and then run your butt off the last 6.2. Now this is hardly the case for every marathon but my analysis shows that I ran the first 21 at about an 8:43 average whereas the last 5.2 I ran at an 8:37 pace:

3:48:01

DistanceMAR
    Clock Time3:49:15
    Chip Time3:48:01
    Overall Place269 / 804
    Gender Place200 / 504
    Division Place39 / 66
    3Mi27:20
    10K54:50
    14Mi2:02:09
    21Mi3:03:13
    Divtotal66
    Sextotal502

I can speak for the complete opposite side of the coin as well and say that going out faster in the first half can lead to serious time loss on the back. In my most successful (time) marathons I have always started out a little slower than what I intend on finishing at. Always try to remember (and yes it's hard) that you have many miles to make up time but starting out too fast and you have many miles to crawl.

I think the key to running successful long distances is make sure you are training appropriately. If you are wanting to finish in a specific time make sure you are running your longest runs at at least 30 - 60 seconds (if not more) slower than your marathon pace. This will ensure your body builds up the necessary stamina to be on your feet longer and also puts less strain on your muscles allowing you to heal over a rest day. If you continually run at your race pace, or close to it, your body will become fatigued and could lead to possible injury or burnout.

Another major component is to make sure you are logging enough miles. This step is usually determined by your experience level. I too often see 1st or 2nd marathoners completely consumed by trying to meet a time goal. I'm not saying a goal isn't important but usually these goals are just a bit out of reach for most newbies. Try to relax and concentrate on just building a good base and staying healthy. I'm a firm believer that the more miles you can log the better prepared you will be on race day. But again, if this if your 1st marathon you should be more concentrated on just finishing versus hammering out a great time. Enjoy the journey and worry about your time the next go round.

Personally, I think a good prepared marathoner should be running at least 4 - 6 weeks of 50 or more miles per week and have at least 3 runs in the 20 mile range. I usually do a 20, and two 22's in a training program. I know people who run much more and I also know of others that run less. It's not an exact science and it takes time to figure out what works best for you.

Hopefully, this post was helpful and didn't come off as boastful. I love answering peoples questions as best I can so feel free to fire away!

Good luck in your preparations!

Stay Healthy!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...