Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

699928 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,745. Apr 30, 2012 8:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Just an easy 3 today. I try to reduce my mileage every 4th week, and this is the week. 3.2 miles on asphalt in my trail shoes, to make sure I can do Boulder on them. My feet feel great. I did a 9:30 pace, while keeping my breathing at 20 respirations/minute. I'm real happy with the progress of my recovery.

Stay interesting, people!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,746. Apr 30, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Dobrobuck - congratulations on your HM!  That is a great time.  I don't think they have a pacer slow enough to run my speed

MelodyLea - best of luck on your Slow Carb diet.  I don't know if I could give up grains and fruit like that, I'm such a creature of habit

6xchampsfan - keep on running!  I would definitely be thinking the same as you - if it keeps me out of surgery (or from taking a pill) I'm going to do it.

Guayquilwriter - I also hope your wife is on the road to recovery.  I didn't have my phone this weekend because it was on the charger, but will definitely make an effort to carry it from now on. 

Debm2011 - I know what you mean about settling into a rhythm after the first couple of miles.  On my run this past weekend I had to wait for a stoplight and since my calves were tightening up I decided to walk a short way; by the time I got a half-block past the light my legs were screaming at me "we are supposed to be RUNNING" so I just had to go, and everything was so smooth after that I felt like I could go on and on.

Terranss - Congratulations on your Xterra series!  If I had started running 20 years earlier and lived somewhere else maybe I could do mountains like that, but probably not

I had to go into work on Sunday for a quick validation, so I walked there (~1 mile) and took the long way home on the run.  My route ended up being ~5k which is fine, I was kind of hoping it would be closer to 4 miles.  I chose a route with as much asphalt as possible vs poured concete; I also ran past a school so was able to go along the sidewalk on the grass of the schoolyard.  When I got home I mowed the lawn while my dear man did some other chores around the house.  It felt wonderful.  I'm anxious to get my miles back up but know I have to do this gradually!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,747. Apr 30, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Crazylegs was excellent, there were 12,500'ish runners.  My official time was 42:31, a bit slower than my 'normal' pace but there were spots where we were all pretty bunched up and that slowed me down.  But who cares!?!?  I'm happy with time and the event.  Running into Camp Randall was excellent and the crowds were motivating.  I'm ready to sign up for next years.

My next event will be a local 10k.  Time to hit the trails again, the next three runs are trail runs.

Cheers all!!  Happy running!

-B

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,748. Apr 30, 2012 7:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Still working off the vacation pounds, I think. Did two sets of strength/core exercises, then a 5k tempo run in 22:47 tonight after work. Felt like I was running straight uphill most of the way. The stupid scale this morning told me I gained 5 pounds last week. I liked them last week, but now I hate those Las Vegas buffets.

6Xchamps..... Keep trying. I want to see the picture now that you've piqued my interest so well.

Snerb.... 12,500 runners??? I've run a couple races herre in Maine that had less than 50 or 60 runners!! I can't imagine 12,000. That's more than twice my town's population!!

Guayqwil....  Thoughts going out to your wife and your family.

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,749. Apr 30, 2012 10:26 PM (in response to Dobrobuck)

Dobrobuck:  Awesome work!  I also just finished my first half marathon yesterday.  I was a little slower than you at 2:13, but I was thrilled to finish, and I still felt pretty good!  I actually ran a faster 10K split time than I have ever run in a 10K race.  I freaked myself out a little by looking at the course elevation.  The course travels uphill for over 2 miles!  But I figured out that the incline looks really exaggerated in the graph, and when I ran the race, I couldn't even tell I was going uphill.  The Eugene, Oregon half marathon course is actually quite flat (thank heavens!) and the weather was perfect: 50-60 degrees, overcast, and with a slight breeze.  Awesome.

Now my running buddy thinks we should just start training for a marathon!  If we start now, we should be ready to run our local race, Circle the Bay, in August--that's 30K with some hills at the end.  From there, it's not much farther for a marathon in October.  Now I just have to decide if I want to give up that much time every weekend until October! 

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,750. May 1, 2012 6:47 AM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23....  That's by far the biggest event I've run.  Most of the events that I run are a couple hundred people.  It was fun to be part of an event that big, but when the course got a little narrow it was pretty cramped with that many people on the course.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• airmax9 Amateur 7 posts since
    Feb 13, 2012
    2,751. May 1, 2012 8:47 AM (in response to Snerb)

this is really a hot thread,it has been 3 month almost since i first follow this thread,there are still so many people are interested in it,that means more and more people are interested in running ,that good deed!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,752. May 1, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Congrats snerb and OR coast on your races. 7.05 miles 59 min. 31 out & 28 back. Man its hot.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,753. May 1, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss:

WOW!!  Sounds incredible!!

From on trail runner to another, I enjoyed reading your experience of the entire race, from start to finish.  I love the exhilaration of jumping over rocks, twigs, branches, running through streams, puddles, anticipating the euphoria when reaching the top of a steep, rocky hill and seeing the finish line but still have to climb and run switchbacks, AWESOME!!!  I love how it challenges and demands every muslce to join in the effort to make it to the finish, this is what I love about trail running.

When I was 50, I ran a 25k technical trail race and the 15.5 miles was as intense as it was thrilling.  My finish time was 2:40, placing me 7th in the female category.  There were more men than women. It was part of my 'training' for my first marathon a month later, did great!!  It was a present to myself.

"I can honestly say I've never been so happy to see a finish line in my life! " ............. isn't that the truth!! 

At 52 now, I still train and race on TRAILs as much as possible.  One of these days, I hope to run a trail race in CA. 

What a super finish time!!  Yeah, can relate to how other runners around you can either energize you or not, tough to ignore when stuck on a narrow trail, waiting to pass when trail allows.  Sometimes, it's easier to walk steep rocky hills to conserve energy for the downhill, and don't you just LOVE whizzing by them??!! Especially those 'younger' than you, HAHA!!

GREAT POST!!  And CONGRATS on an awesome finish!!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    2,754. May 1, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to ORcoastrunner)

ORcoastrunner:

WAY TO GO!!  Great finish time for your first HM!!

It's infectious ........ this running 'thing' you know!

Now, a MARATHON??? 

GO FOR IT!!

Especially when you have a running buddy for support and motivation. 

GOOD LUCK!!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    2,755. May 1, 2012 11:52 AM (in response to NHLA)

NHLA:

Wow, great mileage piling there!!  Where do you train?

Been following your training and I am very impressed with your time/distance.

Trail runner

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,757. May 1, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to az2mn)

I live in Laurel Park on Ecco Mt. Jump Off Rock is on the top. I like to run Ecco, Davis, and Hebron Mts or its 3 miles to town where its flatter.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,758. May 1, 2012 6:03 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.5 miles on the TM tonight. 2 mile warmup and then 6 x 800 repeats @ 1:40 pace with 440 slow jog intervals and a 1/4 mile walk to cool down. 57:24. Felt better than I thought I would, so that's good.

ORcoast.... weather sounds perfect for your race. Glad ol' Mom Nature was on your side. Great job!!!

Terranss.... One day you and I are going to meet, and I will challenge you.............. to a pie-eating contest!!

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    2,759. May 2, 2012 7:08 AM (in response to jmsab23)

snerb: sounds like crazylegs was a blast!

jmsab: Nice TM workout!

NHLA: man, are you consistent.  Looks like pretty country to train in.

ORcoast: congrats on the HM!  Really good time too!

6xchampsfan: keep running!

melodylea: how's the slow carb diet going?

guayquilwriter: how is your wife doing?

oldplodder: still haven't gotten my bolder boulder bib number yet, but will let you know

Did 5.5 miles in el paso yesterday (it's hot there!) and felt sluggish, probably still tired from sunday LR.  Went to my local hs track this morning as it seems I need to be doing a little more fast running. 2 miles easy to get there, 6x400@7:50mm w/ 200m recovery jogs, 1 mile easy headed back, then feeling good picked it up again and finished with 1/2 mile@8:00mm and last 1//2 mile@8:45.  What a difference a day makes.  maybe it's sleeping in my own bed that helps but I feel so much better today.

Hope you are all are having a good week...keep the faith and keep working hard!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...