Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577773 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,970. May 31, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to MelodyLea)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Good runs everyone!

Saw the physical therapist yesterday.  I should have said it was both calves not just the left one - that calf massage was pure heaven!  The other PT kinesiotaped my leg and she sent me home with a half cylinder foam - I believe the medical term is "thingy" - to facilitate a deeper stretch.  She even said to try my 5K on Sat even if I walk or run/walk it (based on my comfort level) and report back when I see her on Monday.  Can you guess my PT is a runner? 

Terranss - thanks for posting the Hal Higdon training plan.  I may entertain the idea of a half in the future (did I just say that?) and this plan looks very doable.  Have fun in Vegas!

I just "celebrated" my first anniversary of starting to run with the couch to 5k program last Memorial Day.  Wish I could have celebrated with a run, but them's the breaks.   This too shall pass.

MelodyLea - great pix!  Thanks for sharing. 

• KennethRayhon Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012
    2,971. May 31, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Just finished my run and I was really tired from training yesterday.  Anyway, I was off road in mostly loose sand and hills but I managed 5 miles in 48 minutes while burning 804 calories.  I had a couple of tire flips in there because I devoted this year to obstacle course runs with an 8 miler coming up soon.  This is a great community to get tips and stay moviated.  Thanks.  Here is where I did my last 5 miles.  http://kjrzeek1.hubpages.com/_209pgaybx6bme/hub/How-To-Run-Faster-And-HArder-Than-You-Ever-Have

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,972. May 31, 2012 7:01 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Cross-trained last night while watching the Celtics..... oh, nevermind about the Celtics. Two sets of core/strength exercises (up to 57 push-ups now in each set), and stationary bike for 22 minutes - 10 miles.

Ran-walked the dog tonight after work. The wife wanted to go for a longer walk, so that fit well for me. I ran a while, walked with them, then ran 2 miles - 1 mile downhill and then one back up. I hate hills. Total walk/run was 4 miles.

Coyote.... I agree your tribute to the mystery woman was very nice, and I've felt the same way before as I watched some of the last participants come into the finish at races.

DebM.... Up here in Maine we think differently when someone talks about a "calf massage," but I'm glad you enjoyed yours. And congrats on a year of running. Here's hoping yout 5k test this weekend gets a good grade.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,973. May 31, 2012 7:07 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea Just wanted to let you know I also used Hal Higdon Novice 2 program for several of my halfs last year. I just trusted the training uploaded all my runs from my Timex global trainer on training peaks and never missed. It was GREAT. I just kept improving day by day. Race by race. For my upcoming Marthon training program I've combined Hals program with Galloways (walk/run) sprinkled with a little extra biking. Hope the results are the same as before. Since it's my first full.My main goal is to finish and finish healthy. However that little voice in my head keeps giving me specific finish times to shoot for!!!!!!

Good Luck in your selection. With your experience and dedication you won't go wrong with either of the three programs.

Thanks to all with the great posting and race results. As I still lurke in the background. One more base week and I'll be right their with you all.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    2,974. May 31, 2012 8:45 PM (in response to Webpro11)

webpro, i'm also using the hal higdon novice 2 program to train for my first half in a few weeks.  i'm finding it very manageable and i'm super impressed by how quickly i am feeling comfortable with the distances.  i'm also running my first full this fall (denver rock & roll on 9/22) and trying not to care about the time.  my sister (a marathoner) keeps reminding me that people will say "holy crap? you ran a marathon?" and pretty much no one will say "what was your time?" 

i did 3 fast, hilly miles on tuesday in 29:27 and 4 hilly miles tonight in 41:35.  i live in colorado, so it's pretty much hilly everywhere where i live and train. hopefully that will make it easier when i do my 2 halfs this summer (both are "downhill" halfs in the mountains) and for my full in the fall since it's downtown where it's flat.  at least that's what i try to remind myself while i'm screaming 4 letter words in my head as i'm running up those hills.    i also have to deal with traffic lights on my runs, which is pita and another reason why i try to focus more on building mileage and form than on the times. 

good luck to everyone running races this weekend!

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,975. May 31, 2012 9:06 PM (in response to aluecker)

Terranss - thanks for the vote of confidence; i'm looking forward to it, and am already wondering what my next race will be (which is one of those "you might be a runner if...").  And seeing how Higdon was mentioned several times, i've had a printout of his intermediate plan since my dec/jan Halfs. I cant say i followed them to a T, but what i have done i have found manageable.  And looking forward to some trail training!

debm2011 - congrats on your first anniversary!

aleucker - ...re:  "holy crap? you ran a marathon?" and pretty much no one will say "what was your time?""  haha; so true....  Brings to mind another one of those funny quotes that is so true, something like "You might be a runner if all your non-runner friends think every race you run is a marathon"..    sorry, i recently came across these at http://www.runningintheusa.com/More/YouMightBeARunner.aspx 

my workouts: wed - tough, slow, tad-painful 3.25mi run/walk. Spin class only today, and full rest tomorrow for sat run.

stay active my friends...

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,976. Jun 1, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

aleucker - What part of town are you in? Maybe I can help you find some trails. No stoplights!

Wow! Felt great this morning. Pressed start on my watch and then never looked at it. I did an easy 5k. I don't have a heart rate monitor, so I count breaths. 20-22 respirations a minute is a good, conversational pace. I kept it there. When I got home, I looked at my watch and saw that my easy pace was 9:15/mile, which is about a minute quicker than last year at this time. I ran the same route, same percieved effort on Tuesday at a 10:34 pace, telling me I should have rested an extra day after the 10k. Training plans don't take into account 48 year old recovery schedules...

Here's to our long runs tomorrow!

• aluecker Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    2,977. Jun 1, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Coyote - I'm in highlands ranch. I run mostly trails but I start from home (I have 2 little kids at home so I'm always trying to squeeze in runs around family stuff). Middles of my runs are usually all trails. Beginning and ends are typically streets getting me to trails.

My favorite part of running on streets? Learning how many people completely ignore pedestrians in crosswalks with the right of way. My worst encounter was with a woman who came so close to hitting me I banged on her car hood. Idiots.

4/28/12 - Get in Gear 10k Minneapolis - 59:50

5/12/12 - Highline Canal 10k - 58:44

6/10/12 - Garden of the Gods 10 miler - 1:40:41

7/1/12 - Copper Mountain (TRAIL) Half Marathon (my first!) - 2:41:34 (i survived!)

8/11/12 - Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - TBD

9/22/12 - Denver Rock & Roll Marathon

10/21/12 - St. Louis Rock & Roll Half Marathon

12/2/12 - Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    2,978. Jun 1, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Been out of touch for a while.  Good to see everyone's mileage/results/success stories.

I didn't get the mileage that I wanted to this past week, only two runs.  One 3.75 mile steep trail run on Monday and a comfortable 5 mile jaunt yesterday evening.  Busy with a lot of personal, life changing crapola recently.  Thankfully, that's behind me.

Running in a 5k trail race on Sunday morning at a local county park/rec area.  I ran this event last year, it was the first time I'd ever done a trail race....now I'm hooked on off road running.  My goal for the race is to best my time from last year, 26:41.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,979. Jun 1, 2012 7:13 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I've been remiss in my reading!  LOL It took me over two hours this morning to get caught up but it's always great to read everyone's stories and race reports.

Congratulations to everyone that raced in the last two weeks!  You are all rockstars in my book

Last weekend from Wed thru Memorial Day I did not get a single run in   Instead my "Dear Athletic Supporter" and I had a big rummage sale.  The first two days were a lot of laps to/from the house carrying out boxes of items that have been accumulating, and putting price stickers on everything... then Friday & Saturday was the Social Exercise of playing salesclerk/cashier...Sunday was teardown and repacking the greatly reduced pile of items that did not sell plus loading them in the car and moving them to DAS' house for another sale later in summer.

Tuesday I got back out there though and did a nice 4 mile loop.  It was a windy afternoon but luckily the wind was at my back after ~ mile 2.5.  Last night was a "quick" 2 miler before mowing the lawn and some other chores.  I'm so very thankful that 2 miles is finally not a great effort again!!

I am also using a Hal Higdon training plan for my first Half in Sept.  I'm on Novice 1 though; since i'm coming back from injury and this is my first half I did not want to push it too hard.  I was following this plan when I got hurt and found it to be very do-able, I just need to remember not to be too enthusiastic in Cardio Kickboxing

I have a fun 5k this weekend with friends.  Not looking for a time but if I beat my first 5k this year I'll be even more happy.  Best of luck to all other racers this weekend!!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    2,980. Jun 1, 2012 1:03 PM (in response to apeppel)

apeppel: Just checking out your running hx and saw that you are up in MN ....... might have to check in with you about some future races once we move to MN next month.  The July 4th HM would be a great one for me to do but not sure 'where' I will be as I am planning on riding my harley bike from AZ to MN . Minn., MN is a little out of the way for me but .............. hmmmmm, you ran it last year too, how is the course?

MelodyLea:  The Galloway method works for me, LOVE those walk breaks, LOL!! I use to take walk breaks after every mile but now I am taking them on time: about every 10, 12, 15, or 20 minutes, depending on how I feel after the first 10 minutes, the technicality of the trail, weather, etc. I, sometimes, do double runs, with the morning run being the longer distance than the evening one. You have plenty of time to train for the Maine HM, GOOD LUCK!!

Terranss: My husband and I love ballroom dancing (his idea)....... he's a great dancer but sadly, our instructor died last year and we haven't taken lessons or danced in a long time.  Las Vegas is a happening place any time of the year!!  HAVE FUN and ENJOY!!

EMTTrix: You have excellent and an awesome support group here!!  Each of us have had/or have challenges to overcome.  Glad running has been a positive experience, such determination, you go girl!!

Ran 7 miles Tuesday, pretty sluggish but made it!!  Can you believe it? Some old fart, a married one too, tried to hit on the females at the trailhead, after he finished his walk!! Scary, stupid and anal

Ran 8.5 miles Wednesday, on a different trail, pretty technical the first 4 miles, uphill most of the way but I pushed on and made it back.

Yesterday, decided to spend time with a dear friend before I move so blew off my planned 6 miles and did HAPPY HOUR instead !  Ran 3 miles this morning!

Have 10k race tomorrow morning!

Good luck to each of you in your running and those racing this weekend!! 

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    2,981. Jun 1, 2012 1:10 PM (in response to aluecker)

aluecker:  I travel to Denver for work now and then and have been thinking of running the RnR.  Ran other races, mostly 10ks, couple of HMs years ago when I lived there but keep missing the RnR event.  I, too, prefer trail running and fit it into my schedule between business travels.  Have you run the Denver race before?

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010
    2,982. Jun 1, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to KennethRayhon)

Kenneth Rayhon:  Love those challenging trails!!  Loose sand can be a workout but you'll reap the benefits in overall performance.  Good Luck on your race!!

Trail runner

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    2,983. Jun 1, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to az2mn)

az1414 You are 100% right about that, this is a great group!  I am very determined =) and I am looking forward to sharing accomplishments with all of you!  Good luck on your race tomorrow morning!  I look forward to reading about how awesome you do!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    2,984. Jun 1, 2012 4:30 PM (in response to OshCat)

Hey fellow Wisco runner!  Good luck on your 5k tomorrow!  You'll do great I'm sure!  I haven't decided if I'm going to do Yellow Brick in Oconomowoc tomorrow yet.  I'm pretty sore from yesterday's workout.  Let us know how it goes, its supposed to be a great day tomorrow, nice and cool

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012