Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578431 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,030. Jun 7, 2012 8:37 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

4 miles 40 min. Ran to jump off rock and back. A hell of a climb.

anaheim: Great race. Next 5k find somebody who can run 19 and try to keep up. If you fail its only a 5k.

jmsab: good luck sat.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,031. Jun 8, 2012 5:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

jmsab - A doe is a running critter, and MelodyLea runs for the critters. The patch is just an identifier . Good luck Saturday!

3.7 easy around the lake today. 34:15. Go long tomorrow.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,032. Jun 8, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

ran a smidge over 5 miles at a 9:00/mile pace, a good comfortable run on a hot evening.  I'm taking the next couple days off, heading to Door County, WI for the weekend.  Next run scheduled for Monday.

Good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend, give 'em hell!!

Cheers All!!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Feb 23, 2012
    3,033. Jun 8, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles 56 min. 29 out & 27 back. Nice day.

• apeppel Expert 57 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    3,034. Jun 8, 2012 4:03 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Haven't been on for a bit.  It has been busy for the last 7-10 days.  Have gotten a good long run and a shorter run in. 

Wasn't able to run the Minneapolis 1/2 last week .  So, on Monday, to make up for the disappointment, I ran 14.26 miles in 2:09:27.  Not my best run buy MY LONGEST EVER!!!  Needless to say, I was sore towards the end and after.  Sat in a cold bath after the run and took some NSAIDS.  Today, I was able to run 6.34 miles with my wife riding next to me on her bike.  Don't feel worse for the wear.

Keep up the good work, EVERYBODY!

2011 runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer (1/2 marathon), Rochester, MN 02/14/2011 1:53:02 (PR)

Red, White and Boom (1/2 marathon), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2011 2:00:37

Chicago 1/2 Marathon - 15th Annual, Chicago, IL 09/11/2011 2:10:13 (Ran "cold" after 7 weeks of NO running)

2012 Completed runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer 5K, Rochester, MN 02/12/2012 23:04

St. Patrick's Day Human Race 8K, St. Paul, MN 03/18/2012 37:30 (PR)

Fools' Five 8K, Lewiston, MN 04/01/2012 37:33

Stay Out of the Sun Run 5K, Rochester, MN 05/18/2012 22:43 (PR)

Med City Marathon Relay (6.42 miles), Rochester, MN 05/27/2012 50:25

Red, White and Boom 1/2 Marathon (5-mile version), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2012 37:15 (PR)

Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon, Chicago, IL 07/22/2012 1:48:57 (PR)

2012 Projected runs

Twin Cities 10-mile (registered via lottery - Yay!)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    3,035. Jun 8, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

3 easy miles today to stay loose for the 5k tomorrow. Rained for a while before, so when the sun came out, I went for it. At one mile, the sun hid again and the rain fell again. Lasted for the two miles. But I got home to see the weather report - great weather for tomorrow's race!!!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,036. Jun 8, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to apeppel)

Thurs. was a not so strong 3.5 mile run. I'm on this "slow carb" diet and experimenting with pre-run fuels. I think I should have added more carbs on Wed. and the banana I ate before I ran seemed to boost my energy and then drop it like a rock! Today, however was a nice strong 5 mile run. Either better carbs yesterday or the teaspoon of peanut butter pre run.

NHLA linuscatch and Snerb Nice milage/sweet running.

jmsab23 Thats funny about the dog. Mine would be beside herself too, if I got leash, collar, keys and no walk! Good luck on the 5K!

degregorius Your run on the beach sounds sweet. Brrr on the cold bath!

Julia66 Thanks, Julia! Watch out for those little tikes. Nice job on the Fartlek

AnaheimHillRunner Good for you on your 5K especially with the sore foot!

Old Coyote I LOVE that you named the doe after me. Honored, for sure! I get a touch of arthritis when it gets rainy too. Just a bit in the knee. Part of aging, I guess.

apeppel Awesome on that long run!! Great job.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,037. Jun 9, 2012 9:50 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Hi all.  I've  been working hard (10-11 hour days) and running not so much (i.e. not at all) in the last week due mostly to the continuing saga of my calf.  Your posts keep me going - I've read every one.  I can see MelodyLea as a doe - nice call Coyote!

I traded running for the Expresso Bike at the Y 2x last week-those are some different muscles!   I don't know who wrote the  program for that one course, but who puts a 42% grade hill at mile 4.3 of a 4.5 mile course?    But I did it. 

Physical therapy is going well - stretching, ultrasound, massage, and a ionophoresis (sp?) treatment yesterday.  She gave me a foam roller yesterday too.  

Today I ran the Tailgate Trot 4 miler which I had signed up for over a month ago.  My PT suggested I do 1 minute intervals.  I downloaded an interval training app on my phone (I love it!) and set it up to run 1 minute/walk 1 minute.  I did that for the first 3 miles.  No cramping - the tightness got progressively better and I managed to run the last mile without issues!! I did it in 49:24 and although it's much slower than when I'm healthy I was ecstatic - especially when you consider I did the run/walk and I hadn't run more than a half mile in over 3 weeks.

If it hadn't been for this group I might have gotten totally frustrated and given up - thanks for being so supportive and inspiring. 

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,038. Jun 9, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

DebM - Congrats on the successful "trot"

I ran long today, up and over South Table Mountain. The route went down a mild downhill to the trailhead, then up and across. I live not far from where I went to high school, and I ran to a prominence called Castle Rock that overlooks town, and my old school. 80-90 years ago there was a tramway up the hill to a pavillion where they held dances and...cross burnings. Now the high school kids hike up and burn something else, if you knowwhatimean. All in all, I was on the trail for 2 hrs 20 minutes, running across high prairie terrain. The summit is mostly flat, but with some rolling hills. It rained 2 days ago so the desert wildflowers were blooming. I was out later than usual so the animals were bedded down in the shade with only we crazy humans to run in the sun.

After all the backtracking and xc and following deer paths that led nowhere I wanted to go, I can only put a wild guess at my mileage of 10 ish or 11 ish. My plan to build miles for my fall full is to do my long runs on the trail and take advantage of the soft ground and convenient hills.

Happy trails, all!

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    3,039. Jun 9, 2012 11:07 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Hey all, after my Half and hike last sat sun, i rested monday, did weights tues, and then rested again wed. However, following Terranss advice, i decided to take up dancing. My wife and i started Salsa classes wed evening. Thurs morning i slakced again! but by the evening i was craving a run (7pm). I ran, but didnt' feel it; legs and hips a bit tired from the new dance moves and then i'm not used to the evening runs and headwinds. I stopped around 2.0 miles for a break, then switched to talking by 3.5miles, finally reaching home at 4.5miles.  I even caught myself saying 'good morning' twice to folks, as i normally run <6am.  No surprise, i rested friday, but it did the trick, as i woke up at 4am today already wanting to attack that 5.0 trail! Carpe Diem! I started out at 530am and did it without stopping, 45m22s and felt great and still do!

Cheers.

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

Feb 23, 2012
    3,040. Jun 9, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

10 miles 1 hr 34 min. Around Lake Summit. They graded the road so it was covered with loose sharp rocks. It will be months before this is a good route again.

Alf: Takes a brave man to take salsa.

old coyote: first long run in minimus They are OK.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,041. Jun 9, 2012 4:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Friday, I tried alternating between doing jogs and/or walks and 200 meter sprints.  There's a trail near my workplace that is marked out in 100 meter increments.  Very convenient.  Today this morning I ran 3 miles, but had to interrupt to go home and to the bathroom.  Running does speed up other bodily functions besides breathing & heart rate, you know.

After that, I got in an 8 mile run.  All the running was primarily on pavement.

Then it was time for a soak in an almost cold bathtub.

The Doctor said I should reduce my exposure to the sun.  Fine with me, it was a good justification to be a couch potato and watch the two Euro 2012 games.

Denmark over the Netherlands?  Whoda thunk it?

Tomorrow: to the Y for a swim.  Time to beat up the upper body.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    3,042. Jun 9, 2012 5:02 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I haven't gotten to run as much as I would have liked this week, due to it being the end of the school year and I had to pack up my whole classroom! However, today I was  able to go, so I walked 4 miles. The exciting thing though, is I got new running shoes! I can't wait to try them out tomorrow! They are Newton Gravity. Has anyone else tried those?

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    3,043. Jun 9, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to Snerb)

Snerb-Enjoy Door County this weekend.  What part of WI are you from again?

This week was 4 mi @ race pace Tuesday, 4 mi with fartleks thrown in, and long slow run of 8.2 miles this morning.  Hot the last few days, even though I started out before 6, it was warm when I finished up 1h40min later!  My wife picked me up and we drove to the Sauk County dairy breakfast being held at a farm near us.  breakfast of milk/juice, pancakes, scrambled eggs with ham, applesauce was great after that run.  We then drove south past Madison to visit my 2 older brothers, one in the state from Arkansas.  A great weekend so far. 

Keep running folks.  Your stories are an encouragement to me to keep pushing!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,044. Jun 9, 2012 9:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

You all are doing awesome in your running towards reaching your personal goals!!

I ran last Tuesday, 6.5 miles, intervals on treadmill (59 mins), weights and some core exercises (45 mins); rested WED.

On Thursday, it was windy and getting pretty warm by the time I hit the trails but I was gung-ho to run about 10 miles.  Really didn't feel like it but don't we all think running will make us feel better?  I felt ok the first 4 miles thinking that my 'second wind' would kick in but IT DIDN'T!!  

At mile 5, I was losing energy and motivation.  I could tell the heat was affecting me and my legs beginning to drag like I was running through cement.  I couldn't even run up the 'hills' I normally do without thinking about it.  My head was flooded with questions and re-living the last few days:  overdid it on Tuesday (intervals) with the weights??? What did I eat??  Am I dehydrated already??

I decided to do my 1 minute walk breaks about every 5 minutes instead of 12. I never experienced this before.  I was getting pretty frustrated which didn't help my energy level. 

About mile 8, I did what I NEVER done before, I SAT DOWN on a rock with my legs on another for about 2 minutes!!  I was getting more upset and just decided to run/jog until I got back to the trailhead:  9.70 miles SHEER wasted miles, took me almost 2 HOURS!!  it was not pretty!!  Just AWFUL AND PITIFUL!! 

I haven't run since ........... just rest until Monday.  Start all over again.  

I rode my HARLEY to the HOG Rally instead and whined about it with another runner ............. she totally 'gets me' and we exchanged stories, reflections on past runs/races, gave me advice and suggestions, and just let it go; IT HAPPENS!!  Probably a combination of things.

Anyway, I hope to get back to my training. 

Just want to say "THANKS" to each of you too; I could have just given up but I think how much each of you overcome personal struggles and make it!!  Besides it was a long ways back to the trailhead ............ safe running!!

Trail runner

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...