Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

685130 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 Go to original post 1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,105. Jun 13, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Indoors today due to rain (again). Two sets of strength exercises, including bumping up the push-ups to 60 in each set.

Two mile warmup jog, followed by a mile-time run, in 6:36.

6 x 800s (3:15 and under), with 200 jog recoveries.

Total 7.0 miles, 58:47.

Angel in VT..... Do you live in/near Colchester? Stayed in Basin Harbor at friend's Lake house before.

NHLA and JosephTree... we're all in the same age group, I think (56).

For anyone interested in more running tips....... check out www.runtowin.com, a runner's blog by a very experienced Maine runner, Blaine Moore. You can register for free to get his tips (two or three a week). JosephTree...today's just happened to be about running when you're feeling ill/sick.

A hearty congrats to those who have recently joined and are showing success/desire to do more. Best wishes to all.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3,106. Jun 14, 2012 5:10 AM (in response to jmsab23)

I think mid 50's is a Great Age!  I still feel like a 17 year old inside, I have a lifetime's experience to lean on, and yet expectations are so low that I can pleasantly surprise myself and others just by keeping moving.  Also, I'm very aware that every step I take these days wil keep me healthier and stronger next year and for the rest of my life.

What inspires me most of all, though, is the memory of the 73 year old lady who come in just behind me in a 15K trail race last fall.  That's what I want to be doing when I'm 73!  Running happily today will get me there, I believe.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,107. Jun 14, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

MelodyLea - yes your Half is the week after mine.  Best of luck to us both!

The heat is finally gone for a little while, so I did a nice comfortable 3 miles last night.  Then immediately afterwards I went to Cardio Fusion class which is a lot of fun but whew!  what a workout!  It felt great though, like a "cleansing sweat" finally getting all those negative thoughts out of my head.

Tonight I'll rest the legs a little, planning on doing some elliptical cross-training then weight-lifting.  Tomorrow the plan calls for a 3.5 mile run then afterwards we're going out for a good old Wisconsin fish fry at the church festival.  Sunday is on to the 5 mile long run.  Building the endurance back up one mile at a time...

"Stay running, my friends"

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    3,108. Jun 14, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

Thanks so much for the welcome and kind words!! Also, I was looking at your profile.... if your 10k time is 'very slow', I guess I'm in trouble because my 6 mile long run was 1:07:33 last Saturday! LOL!

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,109. Jun 14, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to OshCat)

I intentionally ran in the heat this morning, (not terribly hot...70's). I need to get accustomed to it since I think it was the heat during my last 10K that kicked my fanny. So, I did a late morning 5 mile run and felt pretty good. I noticed the heat beating me up a little at the end, but not bad. Now to re-hydrate.

Dtothe2nd Way to go! That's great...10+ miles. Awesome.

Debm2011 Hey, thanks!! That was SO cool to see the race. I lived in Portland about 20 years ago, so it was wonderful to recognize some of the areas.

jmsab23 Nice cross training.

JosephTree Amen!! ~> "That's what I want to be doing when I'm 73!  Running happily..."

OshCat Yep, best of luck to us both on or halfs **High Fives**! Glad you got that cleansing sweat going.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,110. Jun 14, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to MelodyLea)

jdcarnes Slow and steady!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,111. Jun 14, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to Joseph Tree)

Hi everyone!

Been quiet and NOT RUNNING since last Thursday's DISMAL & pathetic trail run of 9.7 miles in 2 HOURS

Decided to take some days off and start again on Monday but that came and went, no running.

Tuesday was busy with work. 

But on Wednesday morning (yesterday), as I was getting ready to run, my husband called after finding out that a very good friend/dental colleague of ours was involved in a motorcycle accident on Sunday.  He hit a deer and was not wearing a helmet!!    It didn't make the papers until Tuesday.  He had to be flown in even though it was just a few miles. 

It is not an uncommon sight to see a deer or a herd of them running across roads here in the mountains especially in the summer but drivers and bikers aren't as cautious and alert. 

It's a biker's paradise riding through the mountains, the beautiful views, winding roads through the forest, and COOL temps are enticing and a welcoming break from the Phoenix heat.

My husband came home and we went to visit him in the ICU, unconscious still. 

His parents flew in from W. VA and have been by his side since. Just heartbreaking, especially being a parent, you just don't ever want to get one of those calls, you feel helpless. 

Of course, living in a small town and an even smaller dental community, we got calls from others .......... and they all know we are bikers as well so they expressed their concern and made us promise we wear helmets.  Many know that I ride solo long distance and are hoping I change my mind on riding from AZ to MN by myself the end of the month.  We ALWAYS wear helmets and ride within our ability, and stay alert and we do not drink and ride.  But car drivers have accidents too, and many are PLUGGED in and TEXTING so we (bikers) are more cautious than ever before and the reason for our LOUD PIPES. 

Didn't mean to be such a downer but it made me (and my husband) reflect on life, and how it can take such a drastic turn in a split second.

The rest days so far has been great for my right knee however my psychic is trying to catch up with my body's need to run the trails before moving because I know I won't have much rugged mountain trailrunning in MN, seems like a lot of 'groomed trails' and road courses mostly, ugh!!. 

I was getting bummed out about that among other crap ............. way BEFORE I even MOVE there which is so unlike me and certainly not good for the soul, I know. 

Anyway, I was contemplating whether I should run this evening with the all women Trail Running group or just whine more but after visitng our friend in the ICU: LIFE IS SHORT.  So fully enjoy it daily with activities that allows you to appreciate and feel blessed you are still able to do them.  And at 52, being healthy is truly a blessing.

SAFE RUNNING everyone!!

Trail runner

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,112. Jun 14, 2012 10:11 AM (in response to Joseph Tree)

JosephTree:  DITTO!!  But I was on the other end of that after running a technical 25k TRAIL RACE and finishing in 2:40.  The look on the 'younger' runners who finished after me after finding out I was about 50.5 yrs old (at the time):  PRICELESS!!

jdcarnes:  WELCOME!! This group is awesome, and you become part of the 'family' before you know it.  There are amazing runners at various ages and level but each provide lots of support with endless encouragement.  Believe me, I need that more than I realized especially since I mostly run alone.

MelodyLea:  "hot" to us here in the mountains is anything over 65 degrees ............. so I know the heat is one if not the main culprit in my lack of energy and pitiful training runs lately.  You and OshCat are piling pretty good mileage and 'slow and steady' is a very smart way to train.  GOOD LUCK to you both in your upcoming HM!! 

jmsab23:  WOW!! your training is incredible!!

Old Coyote:  speedy recovery on the ankle, one of the downside of trail running.  I 'rolled' my ankle a couple of weeks ago but I find that such 'slight' injuries have less recovery time since I have been running trails which, I think and believe, has made my ankles and calves much stronger, and in the case of my stronger quads from the mountain inclines and hill repeats, it has taken off some of the stress my knee takes.

Keep running and good luck to all who are racing this weekend!!   

Trail runner

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,113. Jun 14, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

5 miles 45 min. recovery run. It is so nice today.

az1414- Hope your friend is ok.

jmsab & JT- we are the three old amigos

Old Coyote- do your a,b,c's. write the alphabet with your foot in the air. move your knee as little as possible.

• jdcarnes Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    3,114. Jun 14, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

MelodyLea - You bet!! Of course, I don't have a choice....I'm still working on my stamina!!

Az1414 - Thanks!! Yes, I have noticed that everyone here is SOOO welcoming and nice!! I'm glad I found you all! I run alone as well. I wish I had a training partner to help push me through those rough stretches!

Fastest times:

1 mile 8:03 (8/14/12)

2 mile 17:16 (6/29/12)

5k 31:24

10k 1:10:37

8k 1:29:26

13.1 2:24:58

2012 races:

CJ Y.E.P 5K, Carl Junction, MO 04/29/2012 31:52

Joplin Memorial Half Marathon/5k, Joplin, MO 05/19/2012 31:24 (PR)

The Cancer Challenge 10k Bentonville, AR 6/23/2012 1:10:37 (PR)

2012 upcoming races:

Tulsa Glow Run Tulsa, OK 8/25/2012

Joplin Mother Road Marathon/Half Marathon/5k, Baxter Springs, KS to Joplin, MO 10/14/2012 (registered)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    3,115. Jun 14, 2012 4:41 PM (in response to jdcarnes)

Welcome Dtothe2nd and jdcarnes - you guys are doing great!

OldCoyote - take care of that ankle.  NHLA has some good advice. 

JosephTree - glad to hear  mid 50's is a great age - I'll be there soon enough (I'm 47) - and I said the same thing to a friend last weekend - I hope I'm still running at 70+

az1414 - I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  I'll keep him, his friends and family in my prayers.  So  heartbreaking. 

jmsab23 - thanks.  I know I can use all the tips I can get. 

MelodyLea - nice run in the heat.  Wasn't that a fun site?  I wish more races came with videos. 

I had another iontophoresis treatment yesterday at PT to go with the ultrasound and massage.  This morning I ran 3.5 miles alternating 1:1 and 2:1 run:walk intervals and ran the last 1/2 mile nonstop.  Very minimal calf tightness - better than Tuesday (don't ask ugh) - I  even felt better than last Saturday's race.  I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  yay!

• Dtothe2nd Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 12, 2012
    3,116. Jun 14, 2012 6:28 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Thanks Melody and Deb!  Just picked up my bib and packet for the 8k on Saturday, can't wait!

- Dave

-----------------

2012 Races

- OK5K - 25:45 - PR

- CHKD 8K - 41:34 - PR

Future Races

- South Norfolk Jordan River Bridge Bash & River Run (5k) - 7/14

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,117. Jun 14, 2012 8:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

DebM - Keep that recovery going well!

NHLA - Thanks, I'll add that in to my routine

AZ1414 - My prayers are with your friend. We who run appreciate the bittersweet in life, in living to the fullest, in risking.

I took 2 days off to rest my ankle. I did asanas and core work, as well as mobility and stretching. RICE and 1 ibuprofen right after the injury were the rest of the treatment. I feel some tenderness, but when moving straight forward I feel normal. So, I decided to enter my club's Father's Day Mile. Now, 82 degrees, with an excercise alert out because of smoke from the High Park fire is not the best conditions, but I taped my ankle and ran my first timed mile in over 3 decades tonight in 7:13. I jumped out WAY too fast, in fact at 440 yards I was on 6:15 pace! . I immediately dropped down to a walk for 30 seconds before taking off at a better pace. 1 more 20 second walk break at the halfway mark, and then ran strong. Oddly, even with a completely trashed run I made my McMillan prediction exactly! The smoke didn't bother me until about 5 minutes after I finished. In fact, the water tables past the finish line sounded like a tuberculosis ward.

The winner still turned in a respectable 4:23...at 82 degrees, 5280 feet elevation, smoke in the air and a slow course. Nice!

I'm planning to do my OTHER club's 5 mile trail run Saturday. After that, my 18 week marathon plan starts, and racing on weekends will have to take a back seat to long runs.

Run free, friends.

• degregorius Pro 76 posts since
    Nov 27, 2010
    3,118. Jun 15, 2012 7:03 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Does moving furniture around count as a workout?

Other than that, I have been occupied with other things.  I ran five miles on Tuesday.

Knowing myself, I'm driven by deadlines and goals.  BIG goals.  The goal of being able to run up the stairs in time to catch the train without gasping & wheezing may a laudable one, but..I want more.

Therefore, I have registered for my first half marathon: The Chicago Half Marathon on September 9th. 

I intend to get a lot of long distance running, fartleks & maybe sprints up the stairs to catch the METRA.

Do I intend to run marathons?

My policy is

13.1 will be the length of my run

26.2? I leave that to you.

Once again, Ambition & Reality got into a fight.

Ambition: I ran a 10 mile!  I can do 13.1! Then after that, 26.2...

Reality: (Interrupts) Dude, we only have so much time to train.

10K race in Chicago's Perfect 10 back in November '11 1:03:26

Soldier Field 10 5/26/2012 1:46:25

Chicago Half Marathon 9/9/2012 2:17:53

10 mile race in Chicago's Perfect 10 on 11/10/2012: 1:37:21

http://domgslis.blogspot.com/

http://www.pbase.com/donmacgregorphoto/profile

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,119. Jun 15, 2012 7:22 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.46 miles Town & back.  45 min.  23 min down & 22 min up  Ecco Mt. Got nine hours sleep last night.

Deb- sounds like you are doing everything you can. A calf injury can hang around a long time but it will heal because of the way you attack it.

MelodyLea- A 10k is long enough to get hot. I try to run 5ks in the summer. You can still run an ok time in a hot 5k.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...