Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

644546 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,165. Jun 17, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Did some cross-training tonight after work. 2 sets of strength/core exercises, and then 10 miles on bike in just under 23 minutes.

Linus..... While their intentions may have changed a little,  we still send prayers out for Avery and her family and friends. We need more fearless people.

Some good progress reports posted lately. Keep it up, runners.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    3,166. Jun 17, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Tomorrow is my first offical start of training for my upcoming Chicago Marathon. Finished up all my pretraining with a slow and easy 10 mile long run. My week starts off with 1 hour of biking tomorrow.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• linuscatch50 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3,167. Jun 17, 2012 8:57 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Thanks to all for your support and prayers for Avery.  She and her family very much appreciate it.

After my earlier post this morning, a number of you asked/challenged me to "run for Avery".  So I did, in 96 degree heat with 8 percent humidity.  I ran a familiar route where I knew I could get water along the way.

First mile at 9:13 (compare to 9:08 pace for recent 10k), then 10:00 for 2nd mile including 30 seconds of walking/drinking.  Let's just say it went down hill from there, and at mile 4 and a 12+ minute pace of run/walking, I wanted to quit, call home for a ride and take a nap.  Then I thought of Avery and decided there was no way I was quitting.

Last two miles were more of the same with run/walk turning more to walk/run.  But I finished 6 miles total in 11:09 average pace.  Pretty ugly if it had been a planned training run.  But considering the circumstances of heat and low humidity, coupled with the stupidly fast pace for the first mile, it turned out OK.

Thanks to all for the "push".  I needed it.

Hope to continue with running as a form of both physical/mental exercise as well as the therapy needed right now.

Hope you all had a great weekend, and have a good week running ahead.

• dcom3g Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    3,168. Jun 17, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to Webpro11)

I started a new job in washington for a production company 3g.I also bike ride 1 hour after starting the job last week.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    3,169. Jun 18, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran 24:37 in Saturday's 5k, achieved my goal of under 25:00.  Not a PR but under 25 minutes is good for me.

Should have a good week of running and workouts.  If the weather doesn't cooporate I'll do some P90X workouts vs. running through the strong storms they're calling for in Central WI this week.

This coming Saturday (6/23) I'm running a 5 mile memorial run.  It's a good run for a good cause...  http://www.forrestsrun.com/about/about.htm

Many prayers for young Avery.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    3,170. Jun 18, 2012 10:53 AM (in response to Snerb)

I was in Pennsylvania for the weekend and decided to tackle Roaming Woods Lake. Went out early and it was so peaceful. I did 3 1/2 miles and it felt awesome. Saw some deer along the way. They are not as friendly in Vermont as they are where I was this weekend lol.

Linus- My thoughts and prayers for Avery and her family. It's heartbreaking that she has to have this horrid disease at such a young age. I think Avery would not mind if you took some time for yourself every day for a run. It could be very cathartic in times such as this.

Kerry

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• ozziemo Amateur 20 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    3,171. Jun 18, 2012 11:08 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Back to running after a fairly successful debut in my beach volleyball tournament (3rd place, not bad!). I ran a little over 3 miles on Saturday to slide back into it. Decent pace for me, and I got to run with my running partner who I haven't seen in about 2 months, so that made it fun, regardless of the pace! At the end of the run, we set a trail goal for the end of the year.

I also have two friends who want to start running with me when they get back from vacation. I'm stoked!

Happy Monday all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to be a "runner"...

2012 - ran out of money for races lol

2012 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:14:47)

2012 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (25:07.3)

2011 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 5k (28:01.8)

2011 Verdugo Mountains Trail Run & Hike 10k (1:22:56)

2011 Glendale Downtown Dash 5k (28:01)

2010 Burbank Community YMCA Turkey Trot 10k (1:00:32.5) - first race ever!

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3,172. Jun 18, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to ozziemo)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I was out of town for several days in NYC visiting my sis. It was shopping, pedicure...a "post birthday celebration" Oh, bought some great running gear at Paragon! I missed you all. I had hoped to run on sis's treadmill yesterday, but bro-in-law slept in (treadmill in their bedroom). My run today was pretty bad, (it was a weak and wobbly 3.5 miles) but I've been on a "Slow Carb Diet" for the last two months and still figuring out which carbs I need to add before I run. Obviously yesterday I had way too few carbs to fuel this mornings run. Awe well, there's tomorrow. So far my best pre run snack (for a short run) is 4 saltines and a wee bit of peanut butter. Seemed to work before. I'll let y'all know!

az1414 I am SO very sorry about your friend. (((Hugs)))

NHLA Good point about the 10K and heat. I felt strong right up to 3 miles, then lost all my extra energy in the heat. Next time though... Nice times on your miles and way to beat the heat. You are tough as nails!

degregorius Good for you on the 1/2 goal!! Yay. And, holey moley, that was a HOT run!

OldCoyote Great job on your trail race...you are unstoppable right now!

aluecker Bummer about your toe and the empty fuel tank! Hope you can get the toe bandaged up enough to run on.

mkayc I hope you get good news from the Dr.!! 63?! Good for you. **High Fives** It sounds like you had a much better run yesterday!

apeppel What a nice thing to read!! I'm SO glad I could inspire and encourage you. I feel the same with all of you. Nice trail run including the downed tree obstacles.

Thanks BobL204! That's what I recall hearing as well. Re: running on empty. Good luck with that calf pain!

jmsab23 Thanks for the great info!!

Dtothe2nd Nice job, Dave!!

runslowdan HAPPY ANIVERSARY! I hope you both had a wonderful day.

linuscatch Heartbreaking news...heartbreaking. I am so sorry. Sending healing thought to all the broken hearts in Avery's life. AND I found running/crying/running to be the best way for me to cope with my mothers passing a few years ago.

Debm2011 You're really making progress on the calf. Great news

igotwings Kerry and Abbyspapaw **High fives!

Webpro11 You go, buddy!

ozziemo Welcome back!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    3,173. Jun 18, 2012 2:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi all, sounds like we had some great racing (oh, and volleyball!) going on this past weekend!  Congrats to everyone, and belated Happy Father's Day to all the dad's

Linus, more prayers from WI for Avery and her family and friends.  It's so tragic to have a life cut so short.

I ran Friday afternoon ~ 4:30 pm in the heat and humidity, 3.5 miles in 47 minutes but really it was not much of a run since I did a TON of walking.  Apparently even though I hydrated all day the heat just drains all of the energy right out of me.  My legs were burning and by the end I couldn't run more than a city block before having to walk again.  STRUGGLE!  But I put in my miles.

Sunday morning was ever so much better.  I went out at 6:30 for my Long Run day and ran every single step of my 5 mile route.  It was still at a slow pace, ~ 13mm, but I'll take it and be happy.

It looks like I might have an opportunity to do a 10k in three weeks.  That fits perfectly into my training plan, can't wait!

We're forecasted for more heat and humidity this week, my DAS (Dear Athletic Supporter) has already said that Tuesday an outdoor run should be right out of my mind since the high temp is going to be close to 94.  I might have to try the treadmill again now that I have a little more strength built up in my back.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,174. Jun 18, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

sun. 6 miles 49 min. 55 miles for the week.  DD told me not to run today. She knows when I am pushing to hard. I think I might get a little fussy. I did mow & edge the yard but I'm still climbing the walls.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    3,175. Jun 18, 2012 2:41 PM (in response to Webpro11)

Been reading all posts and you are each amazing! So much being done. So impressive!

PT just asked me not to run - for three to four weeks! Srsl? I tried to explain that I do it for the psychological benefit and nothing else gives me that relief and I need that outlet right now. We put my mother in the hospital this weekend and the person at work who I've gone to in the past is freezing me out. I have to adjust to being without his help and the relief I get from running at the same time? I told him I need to think about it. He accused me of being resistant to change. I hate when folks (usually men) do that, attack your self esteem thinkin you will give them power you wouldn't have given had he left you thinking your idea was respectable. I know he wants to heal me so I may do what he's asked but it's going to be a bitter pill. K, enuff.

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    3,176. Jun 18, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to mkayc)

Why has he ask you to stop running for four weeks?  He better have a damn good reason. Don't let him shame you. Get a strait answer or a new PT. I would only ask you to stop for that long if you had tendon damage.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,177. Jun 18, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

linuscatch - You know Avery is on my prayer list, buddy

webpro11 - Wow, today was my first day of training for my first marathon. Rock on!

I rested Sunday (except for dishes laundry cooking), and today I did some stretches, some asanas, and some Wii Fit. Ya, srsly. There's some good workouts in that game. Just remember that you get out what you put in. My second day of mara training is an 8.5 miler, which (due to high heat mentiond by linus) I'll be doing at about 4:30 tomorrow morning, when it should only be 75 or so. It's 87 right now at 8:15 pm. Anyway, checking in on you all. Hang in there. mkayc.

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    3,178. Jun 18, 2012 9:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Happy Monday everyone!

Ran another 'double' today ........... Actually, my plan was to run 10 miles on a 'flatter trail' ...... so I started my trail run about 8 am but the heat got unbearable by 5 miles (got low on fluids too) so took a shortcut back to the trailhead, finished 6.1 miles, 1:04:14. 

About 6 pm, I drove to the athletic club and did some weights, core exercises, then ran intervals for 4.2 miles, 36:40 and finished with exercise bike for 10 minutes ............. soooo much cooler and the fans were on all over the place .  So another 10 miles today and so far, feeling good.  Iced my knee while eating dinner. 

Have to go out of town on business so probably not running until Thursday.

Old Coyote:  Can't believe you all are getting those high temps ........ same here!! Roasting by 11 am when it hits 70 degrees!!  Evenings cool down so wonderfully though .......... I believe you about the Wii Fit although I have YET to try it.

mkayc:  so sorry about your troubles; get a second opinion ........ good luck!

OshCat:  each of us have THOSE days ........... just start over again on your next run!!  you're doing awesome!!  Good Luck on the 10K!!

Ozziemo: congrats on the VB finish!!  Love the game too; sounds like you might be starting a Running Group there!  That's all it takes to provide motivation for others .

MelodyLea: you deserve the vacation and sister time, good for you!! My youngest sister is planning on visiting for a day before we move, so thoughtful of her, but seriously, gonna be fun!! She doesn't know I will be putting her to work, LOL!!  kidding!

dcom3g:  WAY TO GO!! workouts after work tend to be difficult for some but I enjoy those as well.  KEEP IT UP!!

Webpro:  so excited for you!!  gonna stay tune to your progress!

Fortunately, the heat here is not as bad as other places in the U.S. and we don't have much of the humidity to deal with but we sure get those winds here, stirring up dust on the trail because it's been so dry!! Cool evening temps make up for the 'blistering' heat though. 

Stay cool, hydrated and safe on your runs!!   

Trail runner

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    3,179. Jun 19, 2012 5:58 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

az1414 - Are you in Flag? There's a banner at the course high point at Bolder Boulder that says "Sea Level Is For Sissies 5391 Feet". And that's a nice thing to say until you run aganst someone from Flagstaff . Glad your weather is pleasant.

Out the door 45 minutes before dawn for an 8.5 miler. 74 degrees at the beginning. As I got into the valley, the temp dropped about 5 degrees and chilled the sweat on my torso. Unfortunately, as I climbed the temperature did too, back to where we started. It DID drop a few degrees for real as the sun came up and the atmosphere turned over for the day. Goal pace per the training plan was 9:52-10:52. I clocked a 9:53 pace, so I'm happy. My Saturday long run will be at the slower end of the scale.

8.5 miles, 84 minutes. That's the longest pre-coffee run I've ever had!

Run free!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...