Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

661951 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 278 279 280 281 282 ... 327 Previous Next
  • justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,185. Oct 20, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

OC- my prayers are definitely with you.  Face your trials in Christ's strength-He will get you through.  Have a great race tomorrow.

Linus, MaryKay, all others racing-trust your training and ENJOY!

NHLA- sorry to hear of your MIL; it is good she is close! My mom passed in January of this year, partly due to the late effects of Alzheimer's disease.  I see way too much of it!

Ran easy 2.6 miles today to just keep loose,  DW & I then drove to the Dells to p/u bib, etc.  It is a small race, maybe 150 marathoners, but another 300 or so for the half.  It's an out/back course, so we'll have more company until they turn around at their halfway point.  We drove the entire distance after the expo and my case of nerves grew larger all that time.  I kept telling myself to 'trust my training', and that has helped.  But when I get worked up I get snippy, and just bit DW head off over nothing.  I am good at apologizing though! 

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• rseil Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 31, 2010
    4,186. Oct 21, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Last run as Cincinnati Half Marathon. Yet again a great event this year. I had a bad back and a cold this week but magically reccovered and registered race day and finished a bit better than I thought i would (2:03:38) given slightly reduced training over last few months. Might do world running day in Nov. or use Cinti half as prepration for the Mason Half Marathon...not certain yet.

Although was happy with finish pretty d#%@$ sore today hahaha.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,187. Oct 21, 2012 12:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

16 miles 2 hrs 52 min. Jetter Mtn. Peak color. Beautiful day.

Excelent race rseil.

dan I get a little testy when I train too hard too.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,188. Oct 21, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run?

Twenty-six point two miles.

4:21:27

I am a Marathoner.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,189. Oct 21, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

OC Way to go!!! . rest up now.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,190. Oct 21, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Race report, Boulder Marathon 2012.

Starter's gun at 7:06 am. The sun hadn't yet risen. 40 degrees, breezy. I started way back, took it real easy. First mile was 11:47. I picked it up some, but took the first 10k slowish, then picked it up to the halfway point. Sun rose about mile 3. The temperature never did get up past 55, but there was no cloud cover. I got a good tan.

I saw a friend, struggling, at Mile 14. Walked with him a while. Then I took off at an attempted 9:30 pace. I fueled at 14 of 16 aid stations. I did NOT hit "the Wall". I ate like a pig, fellow runners, and never ran out of glycogen.

The scenery was beautiful, the road surface smooth graded clay. I trusted my training.

First half split 2:14, second 2:07. Overall chip time 4:21:26. And, here's the rub: I feel like I could have done it in 4:07.

Or, I could have gone another 5 miles at that pace. And that does it.

There's a 50k trail race in May. That's my next goal.

Fuller report on my blog.

Run free! 

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,191. Oct 21, 2012 4:02 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

mkayc I hope your HM went well and you were able to burn off the work frustration. Loved the Color run pics!

Francessmom I'm with you on the morning versus the evening running. Evening runs just  never feel quite right...but at least you got it done.

Debm2011 Nice job battling the weather.

NHLA I'm sorry about your MIL.

linuscatch I can't wait to hear how the race went!

justrundan Good thing your DW loves ya!

rseil Nice!!

Old Coyote SO proud of you! That is just fantastic...the whole experience sounds awesome. Yay you!! Whoot!

I'm still sick but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Wow, I got clobbered by this cold. Really looking forward to felling good and getting out to run my Berkshire hills again.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,192. Oct 21, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC- Great job!  What an excellent time!  In my dreams. 

MelodyLea- You are so right about DW, very good thing she loves me!  Posted new avatar showing us after the race.

My last run was...26.2 miles!!!  I'll post report after I get official time; I forgot to click my Garmin and watch as I crossed finish line.  It was roughly 5:40, maybe a tad under.   

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• chell730 Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 11, 2012
    4,193. Oct 21, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

OC- congrats!!!!  

I'm sorry guys. It's hard for me to keep up with boards with school and everything going on with me.  This month I partnered up with someone who is pushing me with my diet, exercise and work on my my mental emotions of losing weight and all. It's been amazing and I'm learning so much and as of today, I have rededicated my life to Christ again.  It's something I got away from a long time ago.  I'm also on a different run schedule lately with the training. This coming week I start interval runnings 3x a week.

Yesterday was my first 10k race. I got the chance to run across the new interstate before it's open for traffic.  I was really excited about it. For me this was a big defeat. I'm usually anxious about races especially pushing myself to 6.22 miles.  I did awesome. I know I fell behind everyone but I didn't really care.  Since it was a 5k/10k, as I finished the line for the 5k, their timer said 26 something.  I knew something was wrong. My personal app said 2.4 miles at that point and I knew then the race was off. I was disappointed.  I continued the race.  As I passed my husband coming back, I told him that there was no way this was a 10k but I wasn't going to finish running until I hit 6.22 miles. So I kept running even after the finish line.  The 10k was off by almost a mile and half.  I kept running until I finished my 10k.  Time was 1:06:42. 

Congrats on everyone who ran. I will try and keep up with the post more often!

Chell

"Your story is your power, not your shame." ~Ryan Blair~

Started 12/19/2011- Nike program

Nike+ chell622

Soles for Education 5k- 36:29

Armed Forces 5k- 36:14

Christie Clinic Illinois half Marathon 4/27/2013

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    4,194. Oct 21, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to justrundan)

justrundan:  WAY TO GOOOOO!!!! Congrats on your marathon!  Looking forward to the whole race report.  Now rest up and savor the moment!

coyote:  What can I say?  YOU KILLED IT!  Sounds like you had a great strategy, and then executed it very well.  Particularly liked the part where you put your own interests aside to walk with another who was struggling.  Says a lot about you.  Rest up, my friend, and eat like you haven't eaten in 16 weeks!

mkayc:  what say you?  Hoping you had a great race today.

Quick race report on my HM today.  Let me start by saying that I have learned a lot in the first two HM's I completed this year.  Went out much slower today, and tried to conserve going into the early hills.  They seemed much steeper and longer than when I drove them two days ago.  And the 5 "advertised" hills were far from the true number of good uphill climbs.  Followed of course by lots of downhills, some very steep.

By mile 11 my quads were killing me, and it felt like my legs were dead.  But I kept pushing, and was able to negative split for the first time.  I had nothing in the tank after I crossed the line, and was thrilled with my 2:05:53 time given the course.  I got stronger today, mentally and physically, and will be an even better runner going forward.  That was the single hardest run/race I have ever done.

The race was very well run with about 3000 runners.  Beautiful autumn morning, bright sun, 45 at the start, 55 with slight breeze at the finish.  Lots of supporters cheering along the entire course.  And great to get back to this part of the country.  I can only imagine that Runner's World was thrilled with the entire event which included a 5k and 10k yesterday.  Some people did all three races.  Not me!

Have eaten like a pig today and expect to sleep like a baby.  Am sure that I will be sore for next couple of days but am happy I did this and very happy with the result.

Have a great running week, all, and stay fearless!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,195. Oct 21, 2012 6:46 PM (in response to chell730)

OdCoyote - Woohoo and high fives!  Loved your blog post. 

Justrundan - congrats!! You should be so proud of yourself - we certainly are.  Great new pic, too.

NHLA - sorry about MIL.

rseil - nice time.

MelodyLea - glad to hear you're on the road to recovery

Chell - welcome back and nice time on your 10k.

MaryKay and linus - I hope your races went well today.

My planned 12 mile run today . . ..  wasn't.  All day yesterday my ankle was twingy and this morning I felt it before I even got out of bed so I took it easy (from running at least) since I didn't want to risk an injury 2 weeks out from my half.  It acts up every so often since the sprain/break in 2007 but is now feeling almost 100% after 2 days of keeping it wrapped (despite being constantly on my feet all weekend for work and church related events) and tomorrow is another day.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,196. Oct 21, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to Debm2011)

oops - our posts crossed. Congrats to you too linus!!  

" I got stronger today, mentally and physically"  <== that's what it's all about, really, isn't it?   Nice work.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,197. Oct 21, 2012 7:01 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Linuscatch You did it Congrats Way to Go

Old Coyote Great report Congratulations ALL your dedicated training paid off with a great race and an awesome time.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,198. Oct 21, 2012 8:49 PM (in response to linuscatch)

Beautiful day with great weather! Starter's gun, then two canons and then fireworks! Music, community and water stops everywhere. Columbus knows how to host a race. Each mile had a tent with one of the charity's sponsored children. A few of the runners made it a point to greet them all. Around mi. 11, a catholic cleric was standing in the middle of the street in front of his church in full vestments, including a very ornate green and gold chasuble (tunic). He held his arms up high and wide open like a Bishop giving a blessing but instead said, "good job!" to us as we passed.  It was hilarious!

The course wasn't flat but I must be stronger because I *ran* the whole way. A friend's daughter, a HS track star, is recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia and Scott can't run so when my brain started whining, I refused to hear it because I was lucky enough to be able to race and without injury. I told myself I'd finish like I had finished the others and fretting was a waste of energy and after a while it worked.

I wanted to come in under 3 hr. By mi. 5 I was on track but doubted I'd do it because I completed the first 30 min. fast and thought I'd fade at the end. Around mi 9 I took inventory. It was 2 hrs and I had 4+ mi to go. I was tired; I really wanted to walk and was breathing hard. Ignoring doc's advice, I used my inhaler a second time, had a little more gel, and forced myself to run, even if slower. Turned out my splits were all much the same except for mile seven when I took a pit stop, but my legs felt like rocks. Closing in on 3 hrs it looked like the time would come before I finished. With about 5 min to spare I remembered my watch was 4 min ahead and made a run for it, coming in at 2:56:31. My gadgets say the course was around 13.4 so I am pleased that I was able to ignore the mental midget inside my head. Winning!

OC - congratulations on your excellent run and time!!

Dan - awesome, exciting accomplishment!! A-Mazing!!

Our mighty marathoners!

Linus, a-Mazing time on your HM with all those hills!

Chell, good job!

Ray, nice run!

Mel, feel better fast.

Deb, it's good to protect. You're ready.

Stay strong and fearless!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• HoundMom Amateur 32 posts since
    Jan 3, 2011
    4,199. Oct 22, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Just a quick check in to say I finished 6.5 miles today. My mind wasn't quite right for a run, but I did it anyway. I'm still struggling with running so slow. I'm currently at a 12 min mile, but that's also with the dog stops as well. Knees are talking to me after the run. We'll have to see how that goes later today. Thanks for the words of encouragement MaryKay. Just wanted you to know they didn't go unnoticed. Have fun out there everyone and stay safe.

Disneyland Half Marathon - 9/4/11 - 2:45:28 *first race completed...yay!

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." - John Bingham

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...