Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

578512 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 280 281 282 283 284 ... 327 Previous Next
  • MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,215. Oct 25, 2012 9:09 AM (in response to Old Coyote)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

OldCoyote I am so sorry about your heart breaking troubles. I know you find strength from your faith, but I'm sure it is still very difficult. ((Warm Hugs))

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,216. Oct 25, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to Old Coyote)
    My last run was...how was yours?

OC - WOW.  Surprised and sympathetic.  Some words from someone that has just completed a divorce from my wife of 15 years.....

Have faith in that everything happens for a reason and for each lowest low there's an equally higher high on the path forward.  Be confident in yourself (all runners are) and lean on your inner strength.  Take care of yourself first and have faith that Christ already planned this path for you and he already knows the outcome.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,217. Oct 25, 2012 3:47 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

First and foremost..... Coyote: I can only offer my sincere hope and best wishes for you and your family, including your wife.

Melody... Glad to see your cold is nearing its end.

Now.... I ran my 5-mile loop today, as the sun was fading and cooler temps were making my eyes water and my hands cold. But I am VERY satisified with my run, making it the whole way, including the 1 1/2 mile uphill stretch back home. Just before my house, after the final little hill, is a flat break of about 300 yards, which helped me go for it. I didn't break the 40-minute mark, but 40:14 is one of my best times for this loop.

Watching the weather for Hurricane Sandy next week.

Run warm and dry, people.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,218. Oct 25, 2012 7:35 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Coyote

My thoughts and prayers are really with you and your wife. Mental health is something even in 2012 that is not fully understood. Just remember your constant companion will give you all the strength you need to deal with this heartbreaking situation .

Stay strong

Dan not bad. TRY AWESOME especially for a 58 yr old guy who started running less than 2 yrs ago.

When I started thinking about my 5:17 finish time in Chicago a few week ago. I was reminded almost 6,500 people did not finish and thousands finished behind me. Only then did I realize what I accomplished.

dAn "You DA Man" ENJOY this special moment.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,219. Oct 25, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to Webpro11)

OC- my heart goes out to you.  There are things we can do through Christ's strength, and others we have to allow Christ to carry us.  I've had to do the latter this last year during the lost of 4 loved ones. I will be praying that he will do that for you during this difficult and unknown journey.  Running is certainly a help, but it cannot compare to his inner strength.

Thanks to all for your encouragement as I've trained and run this last race.  My goal was to finish, and I did, still walking upright at the end!  Now onward to new ventures.

Run strong and safe friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,220. Oct 26, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thank you, melodylea, snerb, justrundan, webpro11, jmsab23, linuscatch, for your prayers and sympathy. They are truly cherished.

justrundan - Finishing a marathon upright and strong is not just 26.2 miles. It's the early morning wakeups, the endless miles, the dedication. You didn't run for "just" 5 and a half hours. You ran through a months long life event. You're a very strong man.

jmsab - nice loop!

Another easy 40 minutes this morning. It's very dreary today; overcast, cold, dark...I guess you runners in the Upper Midwest deal with that a lot, but here the sun shines over 300 days a year. And as I type, I see a ray of sun coming in the window, so maybe it's breaking up. Anyway, I'm feeling good. Yesterday it took me almost 2 miles to find my wind; today just over a mile. Muscles aren't sore at all. Been sleeping well, I guess, although I'm very aware that my resting HR is elevated, and I can hear my heart as I try to fall asleep.

Honestly, I feel so good that I've definitely decided to become an ultrarunner. When I get recovered from this, I'm going to kick up my mileage and cross training, run two-a-days, do back-to-back long runs...I'll be seeking advice. There is a 50k trail race May 4th across some old stagecoach roads south of Denver. It's a flattish race, only 2175 feet of elevation gain (700 meters/50,000 meters), and the loop course allows for great support. It'll be a good way to break into the realm of the truly mad distances.

I'd LIKE to put a 50 miler on my bucket list for age 50, but we'll see .

And now, I think I'll put on some outlaw country music and enjoy the rest of my vacation.Run Free!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    4,221. Oct 26, 2012 4:20 PM (in response to Old Coyote)

OC- 50K or 50 miles?  Wow.  There is a local trail ultra near here in WI called Dances with Dirt-Devils's Lake- lots of up/down and scenery.  NOT something I want to do!

brief RR on Honky Tonk Marathon:  beautiful 39/sunny at start, still cool 60 at finish 5h39m later.  All rural roads except about 1 mile through the Dells each way.  Fair number of hills, good for the walking part of my 1:1 ratio.  Organized very well, I thought, with plenty of water/GU/potty stops on the course.  No problem with hydration or running out of glucose/glycogen.  The main thing that slowed me in the last 3 miles was fairly significant pain on the outside of each knee, at the joint line.  That was mostly gone the next day and totally gone by Tuesday.  I feel great now, and get to spend long weekend in Door County in northern WI with DW and another couple.  Perfect timing for relaxing!

By the time I finished the after party was over and the country band was packing up. O well, they still gave me my belt buckle medal andcowboy hat for finishing the Honky Tonk Marathon!

Apprehensive look before the start!

175.JPG

Active won't let me post any more pics.  this is the front of the shirt I had made, with names on back of my 4 family members.

Run strong and safe this weekend friends.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,222. Oct 26, 2012 6:01 PM (in response to justrundan)

Too many posts to catch up but I'll try to touch on some:

MelodyLea - feel better soon

Justrundan - awesome marathon - no more belittling your accomplishment - it's HUGE.

jmsab23 - hopefully Sandy will stay south of New England

NHLA - incredible, as always

Old Coyote - what can I say but that I will hold you and your family in my prayers.  I have some personal experience with  things like this and I know it's not  easy - heck, it's not even tolerable at times, but you are strong.  Remember - you have us too.

Monday was a strong 5 miles, Wednesday was a slightly less strong 5 miles.  Note to random driver:  At 5:45 am in the pitch black when you are sitting there  on the side of the road idling with your headlights on, don't choose that one moment when the solo female runner runs  past you to put the car in gear and execute a u-turn - scared the crap out of me!      Thursday morning the side of my foot under the ankle bone started hurting again.  I'm blaming my old kicking around, go to the gym sneakers  so they're history. I felt fine until I put them on - same shoes as last Saturday too.   I skipped my run this morning because there was still a little twinge.  I may be overprotecting it, but I want one last long run this Sunday before  my Half  . . . . in 9 days.   This seemed like a much better idea 4 months ago when I signed up for it. 

• quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011
    4,223. Oct 26, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 miles tuesday, 6 miles yesterday, 3 miles today and finally feeling like my old self again.

I was craving bacon earlier today and realised I haven't had bacon in almost 1 year! There is no bacon in the house and probably won't be for a while.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    4,224. Oct 27, 2012 8:41 AM (in response to Old Coyote)

Well, it's been a week and I see you guys have been really busy running and I haven't. So good to see!!

houndmom, 6.5, "My mind wasn't quite right for a run, but I did it anyway" => winning!!

OshCat - Thanks! ColorRun will be a blast! Good idea!

Ogr44 - MCM with Frankenstorm Sandy?? Watch out and tons of luck powering through the wind and rain. Enjoy the accomplishment!!! Hope you can return home without trouble.

jmsab, good runs enjoying the weather! What's ur plan for the home TM? Great time on that 5 mi run and it wasn't flat!!

nhla, flying and feeling easy is great! Hangover food is all I want to eat. Scares me. Speaking of scary, your speeds are amazing.

Mel, good attitude! Sounds like you are feeling better. I've got it now, of course.

Dan, that's a phenomenal time!! You finished your first full a little more than four weeks after a HM and with little mental prep. Love the pic!! It is not your fault that they were packing up when you  finished; it was bad management. They ran out of food at Columbus after 5 hrs and there's thousands of posts on the fb page about how unhappy folks were. Your time was just fine. 

Linus, over 700 feet of elevation? That's a climb!! Great job!!!

Snerb, sorry you're feeling too busy. Life!. It could be worse. You could be bored. Stinky weather is here, thank you very much!! Awesome wisdom in your words for OC!! Sorry for your struggle. sounds like it was difficult for you, also.

Deb, two five mi runs is great!! strong is the cream on the top!! I'd be scared, too. We need plans now that its getting dark. I have pepper spray but still in the package. Enjoy your taper and carb loading !!!

Igotwings, Great runs!! Bacon is overrated.

OC - Awesome results on your race!! You should be talking about it!! Negative splits? You were finding your rhythm? I"m taking it easy, stretching and eating, too. Sorry to hear of your trials with wife's troubles. You are an amazingly strong man with a fantastic wit and sensitivity. You prepared for the raceand you completed the race. You may have gotten the strength from God but you used it to train and run. You must be going through a flood of difficult feelings so now more than ever keep posting your runs and stay on track. We were thinking of you during your race. You're not alone. Take strength in Snerb's words. I'm sending personal message. Ultrarunner? I'll have to look it up.

Nonstop nasal sinus drip since Monday that required drugs but is now better. Two mile recovery run around the lake with 0.5 mi cool down. Too fast for rr but done. Breathing hard from allergies or fatigue. So good to see all your "take a rest" messages because it makes me feel a little less guilty. Sat through 5k last night that I promised to run with the ladies I coach (bc of rain and cold) so resting is just what I've been doing,.. and eating. I've done enough races to know I'll be ok for Philly by 11/18 but burning 1000+ calories on Sunday just doesn't justify eating two donuts a day for a week, followed by pretzels, dip, and sweet potato chips and Asian buffet for lunch (2x). Tonight with WS game I'll probably be drinking, too. Looks like the mental midget I was able to control during the race has rebounded. Going to the gym when I finish posting and pushing through 4-6 mi so I can stop picking on myself while I zone out again tonight. Also a little worried bc having pain with eating again but hoping its just pain from being sick or tired and not another internal health problem.

Stay strong and fearless out there (says the lady in the recliner in front of the TV)

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,225. Oct 27, 2012 12:52 PM (in response to mkayc)

Wow, I didn't realize how long I'd been gone from this board. I miss you all. There's so much to catch up on but I did a quick scan so if I miss you in my comments, please forgive me. I'll come back and read when I have more time...though I'll probably end up even further behind.

Melody: Congrats on your half. I love the ugly cry pic. It's amazing how emotions just take over on our runs sometimes. Shows that we're truly running from the heart. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. I have too, but amazingly, I feel so much better while running and immediately after. It's like it clears up all the sinus pressure. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery very soon.

OC and JustRunDan: Congratulations Marathoners! Doesn't it feel awesome? I swear, this club of Marathoners was harder to get in than my Sorority. haha, but oh so worth it.

NHLA: I would so love to meet you sometime and do speed training. You're just amazing.

OC: Read your post about your wife and my heart aches for you. I wish I could reach through the computer and hug you. Very tough situation, but you are so strong and your faith in God will pull you through. While I've never been married, I went through a very painful break-up a few months ago. One of the most painful things I'd experienced in years and honestly at times I still find myself crying, angry, and bitter over the ordeal. But it has gotten so much easier with time. I had stopped running as much while in the relationship and once it was over, I pushed myself back into running. I remember feeling great after one run and texting my brother to say: Running will heal me. I always tell people I'm a different type of runner because while I have goals, I'm not really running competitively for the most part. I do it because that's where I feel closest to God. That's where I can talk to Him, listen to Him, find comfort in Him. I said all of that to say, your trust is in the right place, God himself. I pray that he continues to provide strength as he comforts and mends your broken heart. I'm so glad you felt comfortable enough to share with us. As you can see, we're here for you.

I took a couple of weeks off after Chicago. I ate terribly and drank more than I had in months.However, I had so much fun and luckily, the scale didn't really punish me--okay okay, so in full disclosure, I gained 3lbs but it could have been worse. I hit the pavement for the first time last Sat. Intended to get in 3-5 miles, but ran with a group and got guilted into doing 8. It felt good, surprisingly. I thought it would be much tougher given the time since my last run. This week, I've hit the pavement 3 times, all for a little over 3 miles. It feels good to be running regularly again and not on a strict plan. I feel more free. I have been recruited to run in the Atlanta Marathon Relay tomorrow. I'll do the 3rd leg, which is just 5.5 miles. I'm filling in for someone who had to drop out at the last minute. Excited about the race. I did it last year and had a great time.

Congrats to everyone on all of your running accomplishments.I'm so proud of you all. Run happy, run strong.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

Nov 30, 2007
    4,226. Oct 27, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay: Sorry to hear you're sick as well. It actually sounds like you and I are in the same place with our allergy/sinus problems and eating. I'm hoping to get back into my gym routine next week now that I'm not running as much. I'm definitely going to have to curb the eating though. I've been eating like I'm still training for a marathon. Yikes! I just love me some carbs. lol

PR's

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    4,227. Oct 27, 2012 5:06 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

NRDgirl Since we NEW Marathoners are making full disclosures. I also took a couple of weeks off after running Chicago I also ate and drank more than usual.Not sure how but i lost 3lbs.Anyway Sunday morning will be the start of another training cycle.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

Nov 30, 2007
    4,228. Oct 27, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to Webpro11)

WebPro, thank you. That makes me feel much better. I actually did lose weight off in week 1. Week 2, I stepped on the scale and was like, uh oh. lol I have gotten those 3lbs off though. What will you be training for this time around?

PR's

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,229. Oct 28, 2012 5:05 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

2 a day 9 miles 1 hr 13 min. Don't eat crab cakes before you run. The third time I threw up it took something out of me but I  got it together and ran the last 3 mile hill in 25 min. 2nd run 7.5 miles 65 min. Wind blew so hard I saw the Flying Nun go by.

OC: so sorry. Run angry.

NRDgirl: come on up. You're only 3 hours away. There are going to be 2 races at the Builtmore House comming up. This is a must do.

Mel lol ugly cry. When a baby is crying hold it up to a mirror and it will stop.

igotwings: no bacon in my house either. We must know our weaknesses as well as our strengths.

Mary Kay: run if its in you head, stop if its in your chest. My sinuses are killing me too.

Dan: you did great. No matter how fast you run you want to run faster.

Running is moveing your body thru space and time. Learn to feel the time line as your running a race. When I slow down during a race I feel like I'm going backwards. You can improve by staying on the time line but your time is history you can't change it. If you run for a goal time or to beat one specific runner you will fail. Put your effort into the process and you will reach your goals.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...