Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739614 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 288 289 290 291 292 ... 327 Previous Next
  • NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,335. Nov 14, 2012 6:42 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

6.4 miles 57 min. Its cold.

dlljeff: hail hurts but its suprising how few direct hits you take. Looks like you have a good plan for increasing miles. Do you feel any knots on tendon?

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    4,336. Nov 14, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Howdy All.  Just checking in.

Been catching up on all your posts and progress'.  You're machines!!!  And I'm envious.

Sadly, as expected, my Brooks have dust on them for the past two weeks.  We had a safe and successful trip to Wyoming.  I thought about attaching a picture of the buck that I shot but don't know how some would feel about that so I'll for go that.  But, it was a successful trip with lots of excellent lean meat in my freezer.  2579 travel miles last week.  Now I'm packing to head to Northern Wisconsin for a week and a half of hunting.  I love November but all this travel and time away from home doesn't help the exercise plans.  I'm still committed and looking forward to starting a scheduled combination of P90X and running on 12/3.  Also on 12/3 I'm starting my primal diet, very much looking to that and getting back into the grind of a rigid workout schedule.

Cheers All!!!

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,337. Nov 14, 2012 10:22 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran with my son's friend this morning....... probably the coldest run I've ever done. It was 29 degrees when we started out. 4.25 miles (the big hill route), 34:27.  At least it was sunny and seemed to warm up a degree while we were out there.

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,338. Nov 14, 2012 12:04 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

Monday I wanted to run on track while kids did swim team but HS had some event.  Instead did about 2 miles - all hills - on pavement.  My watch broke so I am not sure of time. Cross training with Zumba Tues, swimming today.  May try to get a few miles in on track this afternoon while kids swim.

NHLA  You are an inspiration with the number of miles and speed!

Linus  Thanks for putting it all in perspective!  Whatever your motivations are keep chasing your dreams!

MaryKay  Good luck this weekend! I may go to see the race to see how crowded it is. The weather is forecast at a cool 49.  Maybe next year?!  I ran Broad St Run this past May and hated how crowded it was.  Too many runners not enough Port-a-potties!  Can't wait to here your race story!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,339. Nov 14, 2012 2:03 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

NHLA - I dont feel any knots on the tendon, but dont know what that would feel like - Its just tender. I could probably push it tomorrow and be fine, but until you've crossed the line, its hard to know where it is. What would it mean if there were knots? (a little afraid)

Snerb - wow, you dont mess around huh? P90X, Primal and Running all in the same day? I think you should be doing the Insanity - not because its better, but doing all that you are planning truely sounds insane.   Good luck - stay safe

jmsab - good run - so far my best time was on a colder morning. Still trying to re-create all the factors that gave me that under 9 minute mile, because so far I havent been able to replicate it.

I wonder if this site could put us all on a map so we could see where we are in relation to each other? I know Im dreaming, this site is only slightly better than one I made for a school project in 1998.

Speaking of running sites - I have been using NIKE+ they do a good job of keeping track of your stats. Comparing them to (men/women) your age, but most recently - the runs include the temp and weather conditions automatically! I love that!  - I have also started Tweeting - I signed up for Men's Health, Running, Marathon - some good tips out there.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4,340. Nov 14, 2012 4:08 PM (in response to JEFF CT)

3 miles on track in under 28 minutes.  I need a new watch!  There was this guy speed walking at the track and he lapped me twice!  I figured that he lapped me about every 4 laps (1 mile). So if I did 1 mile in 9 minutes he did 1.25 miles in the same time.  I didn't realize speed walking was so fast. I feel so lame!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,341. Nov 14, 2012 5:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Nice cool brisk day ~ about 35 degrees when I started ~ sun came out & few degrees warmer ~ about 40 degrees when I finished 10.53 miles, 1:45:33 :)) great tempo run ~ too 'warm' for the balaclava but worked well as a 'cap' & ear cover ~ gotta keep those ears & hands covered or I'm not a happy camper :(( So glad to read you all are staying motivated during the cooler temps ~ that keeps me going ~ thanks everyone!

Trail runner

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,342. Nov 14, 2012 5:19 PM (in response to az2mn)

What a fantastic 5 mile run this morning!! It was cold (20s) but crystal clear and bright sunshine. I felt so strong and full of energy. Yay!

az1414 Nice brisk 7 miler.

Webpro11 Really sad about your toe. I hope you can find a solution!!

dilljeffrey Nice to see you here and good luck with your new winter gear. You are so right about someone walking in the sleet and someone running it it just looks tough and cool!

NHLA Speed demon/mountain goat/ultra runner/chick magnet.

jmsab23 Thanks, re: my running buddy/best friend/dog. I got her tests results back and she is cancer free!! Yay. Just one more week until she can run with me again.

linuscatch Ick, sleet! My MOST UN-favorite weather. Good on you for getting out in it. And "Many of you have told stories of great weight loss (snerb, nhla, coyote, and others) but more to the point is that we are all staving off and even defeating Mother Time and the inevitable weight gain that occurs over time.

Team, I couldn't be more proud than to associate myself with you all. " <AMEN!

OshCat Thanks! Re: My little buddy. Your Jingle Bell run sounds fun!!

justrundan **High Fives** Team mate.

Francessmom Nice hill work, girl!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,343. Nov 14, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Great work team!  So many posts now caught up on.

I think I've been in the post-HM blahs.  I've been having trouble getting up and motivated in the morning.  Last week I only got in two 3 - 3.5 mile runs.  3.2 miles this morning.  Last weekend I camped in NH chaperoning a Scout trip (brrrr), so no long run.  But you can't beat all that fresh air, and an entire Thanksgiving dinner cooked outdoors. 

Since I can't sleep and it's very late, no gym for me tomorrow.  I will get out for a run Friday morning - keep me honest!  I just need to get back in the running groove. 

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    4,344. Nov 15, 2012 5:30 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

debm - Remember, you promised to run Friday!

Jeff - LOL at the (walking in the hail" image.

az1414 - getting back in the stide, I see.

linuscatch - I'm not doing the TT at Wash Park. Just not up to that many people. I may run a 5K at Anthem that day.

I've been resting this week. There's a pain in my right hip joint (occurs when I twist my pelvis in relation to my thigh) that doesn't seem to be the kind you run through. Running doesn't make it worse, but it wasn't getting better either, so a few days of rest sounded like a good idea. Now if I could just quit waking up early to run!

Feb 23, 2012
    4,345. Nov 15, 2012 5:37 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.4 miles 56 min. Dang its cold.

dilljeff: a knot means a tear in the tendon. friction release and direct ice.

Deb you will get going again soon.

Mel great news.

jmsab be careful in the cold. You can dehydrate because you aren't thirsty.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,346. Nov 15, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Did a slow-paced 7.5 miles today with a friend in the next town. 1:16:00, with a few waits for traffic at intersections. Another cool/cold morning, around 40 when we started. I felt very relaxed, though, at that pace.

Last night I went to the local Recreation Club meeting about starting a C25K program in the spring. So far, so good. I just need a couple approvals and start planning exact dates, times, locations, etc. I'm hoping it might lead to a weekly running club, even.

Melody.... Temps in the 20s?!?!?!?! I hope they were in the high 20s. Very high 20s. Your run sounds good, though. Glad you're back in it.

NHLA.... Yeah, I thought about that yesterday near the end of the run. I was thirsty, but I had my water bottle in my car for as soon as we got done.

Dilljeff..... I'm in Maine, 30 miles north of Portland. My wife and her family are going to be in your area this weekend for her uncle's 80th birthday -- Newington, CT. She also has relatives in West Hartford, Rocky Hill, and Windsor Locks.

Coyote.... Good luck with the hip thing. Be careful not to aggravate it more.

Francessmom.... Don't worry about the speedwalker. Your 9-minute miles are nothing to be ashamed of. And BTW, if he knew how to run, he'd be running!

az14..... I'm not a happy camper in the cold, either. Just ask my dog when we go for a walk in 20-degree weather and she decides it's a nice time to stop and smell the roses. And every other tiny thing on the side of the frozen road. "1, 2. OK, time's up. Let's go!!"

DebM.... Like Coyote said -- Don't forget to work out Friday!!!

Have nice days, runners.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,347. Nov 15, 2012 6:20 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Another good, chilly 3.5 mile run this morning. My goal this week is three runs in a row.

Debm2011 Expecting a Friday run report!

OldCoyote I hope that hip issue clears up.

NHLA Good advice about dehydrating in the cold.

jmsab23 Thanks. Low 20s now in the mornings, but I enjoy the challenge of getting out in this weather. Its running in the cold and our woodstove that get me through these winters!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    4,348. Nov 16, 2012 6:31 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Francessmom - there is a racewalker here too, he passes me every time I see him.  And he's out there rain, shine, snow, etc all over the city.  I have no idea what kind of miles he puts in but I bet he could easily walk an Ultra and beat some of the runners.

Jmsab23 - sounds like exciting news about your organized C25k class and running club!  It is so much fun seeing someone new to the sport get caught up in the love of it.

And weather-wise - last winter unless it was below zero or blowing I went out on my Sunday runs.  It is possible to have some very beautiful runs, you just have to dress for them.  Last year's Jingle Bell was actually quite windy and 'crisp' (I think wind chill was below zero) but the sun was shining bright, the sidewalks were clear, and it was a great time.

NHLA - good reminder about dehydration, I'll have to keep that in mind.

DebM - it's Friday, did you run?? 

I had a couple of good treadmill runs this week.  Yesterday I planned to only do a 5k at a pace slightly faster than I have been doing recently; and I did it in 34:25 which is GOOD for me.  It's the best I've done since my back injury in January.  This morning however I woke up with a sore throat so I've pulled out the zinc tablets and have been taking them hoping to nip a cold in the bud.  I really just pray it doesn't migrate to my chest and mess up my dedication run on Thanksgiving morning!  Right now my Jingle Bell team has 9 members so I need to map out a 9 mile course for it

Wishing all of you a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

Feb 23, 2012
    4,349. Nov 16, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

9 miles 1 hr 13 min  4 miles 28 min. getting used to the cold. It was in the 20s this morn. Had to wear camo.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...