Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

703191 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 295 296 297 298 299 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,440. Nov 27, 2012 9:00 AM (in response to NHLA)
    My last run was...how was yours?

We were supposed to wake up to snow, but instead just rain.  It is snowing in parts of Philadelphia just north of us.  Decided to run anyway.  Temp is 37 and the rain is steady and cold.  Realized half mile out that I forgot my knee brace so I took it easy.  Total 3.21 miles in about 28 minutes.  When I got in the house my legs started steaming from moisture.  I imagined I could visually see the calories burning. I love running in rain, it makes breathing much easier fro me.  As long as I can change into dry clothes when I am done.  Sitting here at my desk wearing my dry wool socks with dog laying on my feet -- aaahh!

Linus - Stay safe!  Do you run on the base or TM?

Oshcat - It feels so great to run after being sick.  I imagine all the germs being sweated out with each step.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• ChadH60614 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 27, 2012
    4,441. Nov 27, 2012 9:09 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Mine was awesome!  On W3D2 currently.

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    4,442. Nov 27, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to ChadH60614)

I've been lazy lately. It's been hard to make myself run. I managed to force myself last night and got in a little over 4 miles with an average pace of 9:15. It felt good once I started, but getting started was tough. I don't know what kind of rutt I'm in. I'm supposed to run with the running club tonight, but it's been drizzling today. I don't mind running in drizzle, I actually like it. Hell, I love running in a torrential downpour, especially when I have a lot on my mind, which I do....which may be why I'm feeling so low on energy. I love coming here and reading about your runs. I draw energy from each of you. Thank you for continuing to post. You all inspire me and keep me accountable.

Hope to get in at least 3 miles tonight, but if I'm feeling up for it, I'll go a little longer. *fingers crossed*  Happy running.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,443. Nov 27, 2012 12:55 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

Outstanding 5 mile run in the snow! This was the first time I got to try out my new "Windstopper" jacket by Gore (which my sis got me for my B-Day in June). Totally rain/snow proof, plus it's neon blue so I was very visible. I also added a safety green vest over that just for good measure!  It snowed steadily the whole time, but I stayed dry and I felt great. Two back to back runs for me, with my goal being 4 back to back this week.

justrundan The roads I run on are VERY rural. I'm sure that makes a big difference with snow and ice...I dont have to worry about drivers too much. I love where I get to run. Nice job on the Turkey trot and the TM!

jmsab23 Super workout on the TD and cross training! Yes, my pup does love to stay close to the woodstove. She enjoys getting out to run with me but loves getting warm and cozy just as much.

Old Coyote Poor Co. peeps...missing their sunshine. Great idea to commit to a mile a day to New Years!! That will ward off any seasonal weight gain and set backs. Smart man.

dilljeffrey Sounds like some wild running at the inlaws! Glad you didn't get hurt in the dark.

NHLA Power on, dude!

linuscatch Wow. Stay safe and thank you reminding us all how very lucky we are!!

OshCat I hear you on the nasty bug/cold thing! Bummer. I got one last month that knocked me down for two weeks. The "run for lights"  sounds wonderful!!

**High Fives** for running out in the rain!! Yay. Love this~> "I imagined I could visually see the calories burning."

ChadH60614 Nice!

NRDgirl Sorry to hear you are in a rut/slump. We're here for you!! We'll be expecting a report on your 3 miles or more tonight.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    4,444. Nov 27, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Melody, Melody, Melody:  I was AZ1414 B4 ........... I am such a wimp compared to your running in the snow at those temps!!  I don't know what it is about MN, with the snow and temps, darn it!! It's soooo cold, it gets through to your bones and I can't seem to warm up for hours after!!  However, in AZ, I have run when we had snow, cold temps, and it's at a higher altitude, I did fine.  So wierd!! I know it will take some time to adapt to the winter conditions here in northern MN but I think I have to stay for some decent amount of time to do that, haha!!

Anyway, I tried to run yesterday but the roads are quite icy and slick, and it was hard to breathe even with my balaclava and winter running gear from head to toe!!  Half a mile later, I went home !!  Beginning to feel depress now ............. so I can't wait to get back to AZ and my trail running in the mts. No snow yet in northern AZ but cold temps when the sun sets but I'll take it!!  My schedule should slow down a bit after Feb. and it will still be WINTER here in northern MN so I guess I should invest in a TM ................. now I'm really depress!!  haha!!

NHLA:  I'm 'running' vicariously through you ........... WOW, you amaze me ........(rather, I'm amazed at myself, hahaj!!).

OshCat:  I kinda felt a bit crappy over the weekend .......... and the dilemma of "should I run or not in the cold and snow" ........... I didn't although I tried yesterday, maybe it's a good thing.  Hate being sick and missing out on races I paid for .......... stay healthy!!

ChadH:  welcome and way to go!!

NRDgirl:  feeling your 'slump' ....... can relate to it totally right now ........ yet, so glad for the support of friends here!!

JustrunDan:  thanks for the kind comments, I hope to running 7 years from now!!

Linus:  stay safe and extend our gratitude to the troops.

jmsab23: For some odd reason/karma:  I seem to be at the right place/right time when emergency incidents happen, my husband was just commenting on that too.  But you would be surprised when the 'training' kicks in during those times, and oddly, you are the most calm one.  But hope it never happens ..........

Good to read the updates from everyone! 

May not run as much now but will be claiming those mileage next week!!

Stay healthy, and safe running!

Trail runner

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    4,445. Nov 27, 2012 6:13 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

7 miles total tonight, including 6 x 800 repeats at 9.2 mph (3:15 halves). I'm feeling really good lately and am close to trying a 6-minute mile again soon. I did one about 1 1/2 yrs. ago.

Got some more info ready for the planned C25K program next spring. Tomorrow I call the school to see about gym use the first couple weeks until it warms up/stays light enough outside. I should hear from the local Recreation Club within a couple weeks.

Linus.... Please extend our gratitudes to the troops you encounter (for whatever reason you're over there). I've heard the "We're better off fighting them over there than over here" message many times, but I still wish our men and women were home.

NRDGirl.... Get that 3-miler in and work up from there next time(s).

Francessmom...... Don't be wishing for snow!! It'll be here soon enough.

Have nice days, runners.

• JEFF CT Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 6, 2012
    4,446. Nov 27, 2012 6:52 PM (in response to az2mn)

BOOM, here comes the BOOM - Ready or Not...

Today was a crappy day out there. Snow, wet snow. 33 degrees, and my first run in the snow. I started off slower than usual. I have been going for a strong start and mediocre finishes - opposite of NHLA. My first mile was about 9:20 per. I didnt do anything different to my gear. Wicking long-sleeve, neon yellow wicking hoodie, and my lined running pants - oh and a cap and some DeFeet gloves. Want to make sure people see me when I fall on my ***! Anyhow, I decided if I wasnt going to be fast, I was going for endurance. Furthest run so far has been 8.69mi. Todays run ::drumroll:: 9.67mi ! - Yeah Baby! My avg speed was 10:24 per. My feet were cold first mile, and my knee was sore for first 2, then I just got kinda sluggish. But it worked out okay. My main goal was not to fall on my ***, and I succeeded. I decided to turn around when the track was blocked by a tree. (I confess, I stood there and looked to see if going under it was a good idea first).

bridge-out-1127.JPG

Anyway- I got my 9.6 miles in, I still have a route that I could add an easy 2 miles to that run. Even if the tree stays there all winter.

OshCat - keep visualizing those cals steaming right off!

Chad- what is this W3D2 that you are doing? I just learned C25K jargon.

NRDgirl- hope that you got your 3 miler in tonight.

MelodyLee- how cold was it in the snow? I looked at my gear today and thought - I could be warm, or dry. I'll keep adding to my gear, but right now, its minimal.

NHLA- as always, thanks for keeping us looking towards the front of the pack for ways we can improve.

LinusCatch- thank you for serving your country. Stay safe. Good luck with the dust. I have trouble building up my running gear, and I have lived here all my life and just need to go to the store. Hope that your friends and family back home can get you some items to make your tour more tolerable. Running is great way to keep your mind clear, and therefore its essential over-there. Dont be afraid to ask for what you need. Sending a package this week for my brother-in-law. Really hope he gets it for Christmas.

2012 Aug 19, 2012 - Canton PTO LobsterLoop 5K 35:09 Oct 13, 2012 - ING Hartford 5K 31:34

January 1, 2013 - 10K PR 59:08

Sun Jan 27th 10am Penguin Plunge.

Sun April 28, - Simsbury River Run (unable to register yet)

Sun May 26, 2013 - Memorial Day Marathon (26.2 REGISTERED)

Sun June 2 Amica Iron Horse 1/2 Marathon - (unable to register yet)

Sun Aug 18? 2013 - Canton PTO Lobster Loop 5K (VOLUNTEER)

Sat Sept 28 2013 - 5K Rugged Maniac (REGISTERED)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 - 26.2 (plan is to beat May Time)

Nov 30, 2007
    4,447. Nov 27, 2012 6:58 PM (in response to jmsab23)

Thanks so much for the encouragement, guys! I got my lazy butt out on the pavement tonight with the running club. It was chilly at first but ended up feeling great. Got in 4.14 miles at an average pace of 9:23. My calves felt tight, probably because I didn't stretch and hardly drank water today. I stretched them out every time I hit a traffic light. The breeze hitting my face felt so good. I breathe better in the cooler temps since there's hardly any ragweed in the air, so I had no problems with my asthma. I'm so grateful for this forum and my running club. Very glad that I got out tonight. I needed that run. I have dinner plans tomorrow evening, but I plan to be back on the pavement on Thursday. I'll be sure to come post about it.

Happy running, my friends.

PR's

Nov 30, 2007
    4,448. Nov 27, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to NRDgirl)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Linus: Just saw your post. I was wondering where you'd been. Stay safe out there. I'll say a pray for you and our troops this evening. Safe travels.

Melody: Your 5 mile run sounds beautiful. I'd love to run in snow, as long as I could stay relatively warm. Typing that sounds kinda silly. lol I did manage to get my miles in this evening. Thanks for holding me accountable. :-)

AZ: You in a slump too? Let's get the hell out of here. It's no fun.

jmsab23: Thanks for the note. I managed to get in 4:13 tonight. It was great.

dilljeffrey: Your post had me laughing. I'm so glad you didn't fall on your a**. Congrats on hitting a milestone in your running. That's so awesome. Keep it up...with caution of course. Don't want you falling on your hiney. Thanks for the note. I got my miles in.

PR's

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    4,449. Nov 27, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to NRDgirl)

3.25 miles  34 degrees this morning  felt almost balmy after the 20 degree windchill on Sunday, but they say the really cold temps are coming soon. 

So many inspiring posts, but I think I'm too tired to comment except to say keep up the great work everyone!    Uber busy work week. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,450. Nov 27, 2012 10:15 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

5.7 miles 43 min Full moon.  DD's school AB-Tech had a lock down this morn. She heard alarm go off when she was parking so she took off. A man had a gun on campus!  A student saw the gun and told security. They arrested him. No shots fired.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    4,451. Nov 28, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to NHLA)

Another strong 4 mile run!! It was a beautiful morning with snow on all the trees and sunshine turning everything to diamonds. It was cold (20s) but oddly didn't feel too bad, maybe because of the bright sunshine and zero wind. That's three runs back to back. One more run tomorrow will meet my goal of 4 runs back to back. Yay!

az2mn Ah, got it!! Re: Your name change. After I read your list of running accomplishments, I find it hard to believe; "I am such a wimp..." <~ Hardly!! I guess TMs are not all THAT expensive...personally, we just do not have an inch of extra room in my house. Plus, I like getting out in the elements, it helps me keep a good attitude toward big winters.

jmsab23 A six minute mile!?!?! Wow, that is awesome!

dilljeffrey Friggin A! Way to go! See, running in the snow is not soo bad. You just have to step carefuly and (like you did) wear bright colors for the drivers who are not paying attention. Outstanding. **High Fives** That sluggishness (I think) comes from the big muscle group being cold. I've been trying to warm up my quads a little extra before going out on cold runs. Great pic. Re: "how cold was it in the snow?" it was about 32 the whole run and the snow never stopped. I was really impressed with my Gore running jacket though. Very dry.

NRDgirl Whoo-hoo! Hoot! Bravo on your great run! Now thats how to kick that slump in the rear.

Debm2011 and NHLA great job, you two. OMG NHLA, I am so sorry to hear about the gun scare. I just hate that. My DD is having some frightening issues at her college with a white supremicist and bomb threats. Sucks.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• DrakoDorn Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 14, 2012
    4,452. Nov 28, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was with 5 friends - we get an application for phone and try it. To make long story short - really good expirence, and lots of fun

We was trying streetquest - run is a game, and can easy call it fu*king good app. Lost of fun with painting streets and running away from monsters - in 2 h we do like 5 miles each, mabye not best - but fun like hell

• c-catto Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 3, 2009
    4,453. Nov 28, 2012 1:49 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

5.25 miles today at an easy-ish effort.  Great running weather today--a bit brisk at the start but then it warmed up nicely by the 2nd mile.

MelodyLea, nice job on the back-to-backs! Your new jacket sounds pretty stylin'! Love the neon blue!

Old Coyote, good luck on your running streak! I think I might try to streak all of December.

Jmsab23, I hope you catch that 6 minute miler soon!

linus, Safe travels to you!

Oshcat, I hope you feel all better soon!

NRDgirl, Nice job pushing onward and getting those miles in!

NHLA,Holy carp!  Scary! I'm so glad your DD and everyone was ok and the gunman was apprehended!

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4,454. Nov 28, 2012 4:48 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.2 miles 56 min champion hills. Hill after hill. Perfect weather.

Mel have fun running in the snow.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...