Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

739602 Views 4,904 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2014 8:00 PM by JirinPanthosa Go to original post 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 327 Previous Next
  • redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    600. Jun 14, 2011 6:13 AM (in response to NRDgirl)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I got mine in the mail yesterday and I'm in group G starting at 8AM.  Not too bad   My husband is from GA and went to school in ATL ... I just got into running races last August and he told me I had to try this one... So we are flying out there from here (TX).... We have plenty of humidity here, but no hills .... there is an overpass nearby where I've been practicing my hills   I'm so excited!!!!

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    601. Jun 14, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to redrunner32)

thats so awesome!! Definitely worth it!! You will have a BLAST.  But seriously- don't try to go for a PR because you will just frustrate yourself.  There are a LOT of people... like a lot.  And somehow slow runners and walkers get into the higher groups and drive me nuts - so just try your best to dodge them.

I'd try to avoid the sprinklers and misters (cause after you are done running through them it just makes you miserable with sticky steamy clothes.  And there is a catholic priest that sprinkles holy water (tiny bits with his hand) on the right side where the church is (can't remember the mile... but it's before the big hill).

And just SOAK IT ALL IN!!!!!!! It is the most fun event EVER.  So many fun costumes of runners, awesome folks along side cheering you on - you feel like a celebrity!!!!

Don't think about the hill... I think the anticipation of the hill is worse than the actual hill.  EVERY YEAR I say "when is the hill coming" and my hubby says "we passed it already" hahhaha.  Oh well - I don't want to know where it is. 

Oh one more tip - when you see the photo bridge coming make sure there is no right in front of you or around you so they will see your number and get good pics

Cant wait to hear your thoughts after the race!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

Sep 29, 2010
    602. Jun 14, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to pamburrus)

I've heard that about the PR - I was in a 10k earlier in the year with about 15,000 people.  They didn't do any waves or anything - they just started it!  It was chaos with dodging people and took 5 minutes to cross the start line I think.  So with 60,000, hmmmmmm!!!!!!!!  Yes, I plan to try to do my best under the circumstances, and figure I will not PR! 

What mile marker is the photo bridge near?  I'm all about the photos!!!

I'm also excited about the Expo

Can't wait can't wait!!! It is coming up quick!

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    603. Jun 14, 2011 8:32 AM (in response to redrunner32)

Great start group! I was in group T last year. Not sure what time we started, but the further back you are, the more folks are on the road and that can get pretty frustrating. Pam gave some great tips. I made the mistake of taking the race too seriously last year. It was my first time running the whole thing without stopping to walk, even though I had done the race 3 times before. Last year was when I got serious about running and I found the Peachtree to be incredibly stressful. I got a PR last year, but didn't really have fun and that's what the race is about. So this year, I'm just going to have fun. I submitted a time so that I could get in an earlier start group, but my brother is also running and he didn't submit a time. If we're not in the same time group, I'll just run with him and make sure I enjoy the race.

The bridge with the photographers is at the end of the race, when you turn down 10th street. It's close to the finish and is often confused as the finish because there's paint on the gound that looks like a finish line, but you still have about 1/4 of a mile to go once you pass that bridge. There are also photographers along the course. The best way to make sure you get the most pictures is to run on the outside, near the sidewalks. That's where the photographers are stationed along the route. It's a great, fun race. You're going to enjoy it.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

May 14, 2008
    604. Jun 14, 2011 10:12 AM (in response to NRDgirl)

I was mistaken when I said I got my packet - I technically got my HUSBANDS packet - he is in group H - I got group E this year.  I can't remember what group I got last year.... hahhahaa just looked - I was group E last year!!  Oh well - NEXT year I'll move up   I really hadn't run between last years PRR and the last qualifying race for this year so I'm not upset. 

I'm officially back into running so I EXPECT a better group next year - maybe even 'invited' HAHHAHAHAHHAHHA just kidding - I can dream

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    605. Jun 14, 2011 10:27 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was on Sunday.  I finally got to run with my favorite running partner again since our runs were pretty similar.  I was amazed at how much faster I ran, just by having someone to run with.  Lots of fun getting caught up on our lives and our sharing Active Ambassador stories.  I was even a little bit sore yesterday.

Sep 29, 2010
    606. Jun 14, 2011 10:58 AM (in response to pamburrus)

Is there a place where you can look up your starting wave online?  That way maybe NRDgirl can look hers up...?

May 14, 2008
    607. Jun 14, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to redrunner32)

If you are picking up at the expo you will get your start wave emailed on June 20th.  I'm too impatient for that so I paid the extra $5 or whatever to get mine mailed hahaha. 

My PR's (post kid haha)

Sep 29, 2010
    608. Jun 14, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to pamburrus)

hehe

• NRDgirl Pro 194 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    609. Jun 14, 2011 12:41 PM (in response to pamburrus)

Yea, I'm too cheap so I saved my $5 and said I'd pick it up at the expo. But now that I think about it, I'll probably end up spending $5 on parking for the expo. There goes that bright idea. lol

You both got great start waves. I hope I got something decent. Now I'm anxious.

PR's

Atlanta's Finest 5k: August 3, 2013 (26:06; 5K PR)

Big Peach Sizzler 10k (51:04; 10K PR)

13.1 Atlanta (My 1st half!): October 2, 2011 (1:46:44)

Atlanta Marathon Relay (4th leg, 7.2 miles): October 30, 2011 (Team time: 3:44)

Chicago Marathon (my 1st full!): Oct 7, 2012: 4:19:19

2013 Highlights/Upcoming:

Bermuda Triangle Challenge: Jan 18-20, 2013

Marine Corps Marathon: Oct 27, 2013

Anthem Richmond Marathon: November 16, 2013

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    610. Jun 15, 2011 6:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

This morning was the best run I've had in a long time. Temp 55, no rain, birds chirping, eagles soaring, and a 7:05 pace for 5 miles. Ready to Rock and Roll Seattle style! 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92692037

• Rick Stiles Amateur 37 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    611. Jun 15, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Age does not automatically confer wisdom. Went for a 4.5 mile run, but at the spur of the moment, decided to run without socks. The shoes felt so smooth inside. Halfway around the loop, the blisters started. Hurt so much I went barefoot where I had smooth concrete to walk on. But the splits for the first 2 miles showed I marked up a pretty good pace, too bad I had to walk home.

First Race - Santa Clarita 5K (November 2010) - 28:44 (3rd in age group)

Disneyland Half Marathon (September 4, 2011) - 2:17:32

Santa Clarita 5K (November 2011) - 27:07 (2nd in age group, PR)

• dogdoc14 Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 10, 2011
    612. Jun 16, 2011 6:54 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was tough!  I'm still in week 2 of C25K, so not much actual running going on, but I'm trying!  I've been taking my Golden Retriever with me because I want to do a 5k Dog n Jog with her in October.  She is getting less and less motivated every time we go!  By the third running interval last night, I was pulling her.  Propelling myself forward is hard enough, let alone a stubborn 60lb dog!  During my walk break, I called my husband to come get her.  He drove up right as I was starting my fourth run interval, so I ran the second half alone.  After pulling her, I was more tired than usual and it also happened to be uphill, so just a discouraging run all together.  I did mangage to find the energy to swim 400 meters right after my run, but I am a swimmer, not yet a runner, so not suprising.

Out with a knee injury, if I have a perfect recovery, I'll be able to run the Prairie Fire.

Planned Races:

Prairie Fire Mayor's 5k Challenge ~ 10/9/11 ~ Registered

5K Wagathon ~ 10/22/11 ~ hoping my lazy dog will run with me

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    613. Jun 16, 2011 7:31 AM (in response to redrunner32)

Resrunner32 I can totally relate. In the Seattle 1/2 marathon last year there was no wave or corrals. When the starting gun went off we waited 8 mins before we could even start to walk, then another 2 mins before we could transition from walking to running. Dodging was better when you ran on the sidewalk instead of the street. It wasn't too bad, actually running and the atmosphere was the best experience I ever had! This is why we wear a running chip. Official times are based on chip time not gun time.

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    614. Jun 16, 2011 7:44 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Im on Week 6 of My marathong training I had a little set back this week due to my Timex Watch breaking down so now Im running without my GPS.  So for the next couple of weeks Im going to be running without knowing my pace which might be a good thing.

This week Tues Thurs Fri 8 mile runs Saturday 5k Race and Sunday Im doing a 20 mile run. That will be tough without my GPS but Im gonna put in a minimum of 3 hour run in and see how that goes.

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 327 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...