Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

646731 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 327 Previous Next
  • Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    795. Jul 12, 2011 7:16 PM (in response to redrunner32)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Thanks for the encouragement.  My training is further along this year than last year, so I should just trust what I am doing.  It was a rough run and I was hurting a little after finishing.  Monday was better but I skipped cross training and after spending all day outside working - I had no energy to do a run tonight.  Tomorrow will be a different story and I will get back out there.

I do try to avoid talking about the running - mainly discussions are directly related to my actual training sessions.  She knows the schedule but when i tell her I am going out for the run - it starts up.

Anyway... thanks

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    796. Jul 12, 2011 7:28 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Sunday the hubs was out of town and I was itching to do a long run - but I had the kiddo... so I set out to do 6 with her.

I had just finished Jeff Galloway's book on running and was kinda fired up to try going about a minute slower than I normally would with her in hopes I could go FURTHER.

Did 4 miles at a 10:30 pace and was feeling strong so I quit watching the watch and just ran back 4 miles and ended up with right at a 10min pace on the back 4 miles!  Then did one cool down mile at 10:45 and finished 9 MILES pushing the kid at a 10:17 pace. 

I'll take that ANY time!!!!  I was thrilled!  That JG sure knows what he's talking about!  Normally I'd start out with about a 9:30 pace with her and it would get slower and slower till I was WIPED by mile 6.  Starting slow and steady really helped me go further!!!  Guess that means no  more excuses for why I can't run - even if I am stuck with the kid

This morning I did my FIRST EVER speed work on a track.   There was no one there and it was HOT and HUMID.  And honestly I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing...

So I did 4 laps (1 mile) warm up

Then ran as fast as I could for a lap, jogged for a lap, ran fast for a lap and jogged a lap.  Mile 2 average pace 7:50!!!!! OMG I don't think I've EVER done a race mile that fast!!!!  I know I havent!!

Mile 3 I tried the Jeff Galloway method of walk/running just to see how it worked but I did it wrong.  I walked 30seconds every lap and it should have been about every other lap.  Still came out with an 8:25 pace.  I can feel myself getting faster!!!!  I was a 10+ min miler when I started in Feb/March!!!!

I ran one more 400 meter run just to see what it was and it was 1:42 which would have been a 6:26 mile if I could have kept it up 3 more laps (which I can ASSURE you I could not hahahhaha).

Anyway - I also just finished the book Run Like A Mother whch got me fired up for speed work.  Since I've successfully completed a 5k, 10k, 15k and half I need something else to work on - so now I'm going to slap on some self tanner and attempt to be a Kenyan.... ha!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    797. Jul 13, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric, hang in you got this!   When you add the time mix to your marathon training and race it adds a ton of extra stress that you did not have with the 1st one.    As redrunner stated take a extra day when you need it "You can only overtrain if you under rest".  When you add time/pace to your long runs it's adding a little more stress to your body just watch it, and try to listen to your body.  I find it stresses me a little more mentally also which addes to bad things.  During your race you may find that your nutritional requirements change, as does what your stomach can handle.  When I run my marathons easy I can eat anything, when I race not so much!

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    798. Jul 13, 2011 6:19 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

BOS, are you saying your stomach becomes more sensitive during marathon training?

• Katie21784 Pro 128 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    799. Jul 13, 2011 6:24 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Nice 5 mile run yesterday afternoon.  Thankfully the clouds came out as a storm was approaching and helped to cool things down.  Even got to see a deer cross the path just in front of me while I was running.  Now if I could just get rid of this pesky blister on the ball of my left foot!

Follow me on Twitter: @KatieRUNning

Race Results

6/4/11 - Salvation Army Dash From Disaster 2 Mile Run - 18:55.5

6/25/11 - Tomato Festival 5K - 28:15

7/4/11 - The Great Commission 4 Miler - 37:30 (2nd place in my age group)

7/9/11 - Swinging Bridge 5K - 31:12

7/16/11 - Hit The Bricks 5K - 28:36

8/6/11 - Run For The Son 5K

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

May 14, 2008
    800. Jul 13, 2011 6:29 AM (in response to Katie21784)

Katie - have you tried Mole Skin?  It kinda acts like a thick barrier and I know a TON of women used it when we did the Breast Cancer 3day.  I bought some but fortunately never had to use it.  Just a thought. 

What caused it?  Socks??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

Apr 5, 2011
    801. Jul 13, 2011 6:32 AM (in response to pamburrus)

Thanks for the suggestion Pam!  I hadn't heard of that, but I will definitely be checking it out!  Yes, it was my socks.  I'm going to try to get by Fleet Feet at lunch today to see if they have anything to suggest to keep me from making it worse during my runs and also get some suggestions for some new socks!

Race Results

Find me and follow my training on www.mapmyfitness.com by searching for katie21784@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2010
    802. Jul 13, 2011 6:45 AM (in response to pamburrus)

PB, Your running stories are always fun to read!  You are fast!

Nov 20, 2007
    803. Jul 13, 2011 7:04 AM (in response to redrunner32)

Yes if I am running at a higher HR, I end up burning my glycogen reserves faster and my stomach becomes a lot more sensitive (I think).  If I keep my HR down I can eat anything.  Only happen in fulls and only when running them hard, for me it will start around mile 15 or so.  Key for 1st timers is keep your HR in control (not go out to fast).

Sep 29, 2010
    804. Jul 13, 2011 7:06 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Interesting!  Thank you!

Nov 20, 2007
    805. Jul 13, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to Katie21784)

Katie,

Put some glide on your blisters before you run, it has done wonders for my wife and daughter.  I am lucky with blisters so far.

Apr 5, 2011
    806. Jul 13, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Thanks!  I'm so glad to have this forum around and more experienced runners to offer advice!

Race Results

May 14, 2008
    807. Jul 13, 2011 7:35 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Katie - I heard wool socks were supposed to be the best for blister prevention.

I have the the thorlo experia socks and love them!

Redrunner - as for being fast... not sure about that but I feel like I'm getting fast-er.  I just wish I didn't look like such a GOOBER when I ran!!!  Omg after seeing my stride on tv I'm horribly selfconscious now!!  Sure do wish I looked like one of those graceful Kenyans!!

My PR's (post kid haha)

Sep 29, 2010
    808. Jul 13, 2011 7:43 AM (in response to pamburrus)

I second the thorlo experia socks!  They are awesome!!

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    809. Jul 13, 2011 7:46 AM (in response to pamburrus)

Pamburrus,

Nice speed training!  I think they call that a Farlek or maybe even a Tempo Run.  But typically Farlek's are done on the track.

Hal Higdon says, "If you want to race at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week." 

I also had a great speed training session.  I ran 3 miles at my next 1/2 Marathon race pace of 6:30/mile average. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98869120

Great music, temp 56 degrees, speed shoes is priceless!

1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 327 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...