Skip navigation

1848 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 10:44 AM by theworldofhoops RSS
KAdams25 Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2011 6:35 PM

how to be a better scorer

I am a 5'8 guard and my coach only plays the people that score alot in practice so i was hoping that somebody could help me become a better scorer

• Had13 Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 4, 2011
    1. Feb 4, 2011 1:29 PM (in response to KAdams25)
    Re: how to be a better scorer

depends on what position you play and your strengths are right now. First off I would work on your defense. If you can stop the big scorers on your team during practice your playing time will increase. A lock down defender at the 1 or 2 position sets up for a great defensive team.  Second work on your ball handling and passing. If you can get the ball down the court and run the offense with minimal turnovers you will be priceless to your coach

• jarballer Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 31, 2011
    3. Feb 5, 2011 9:03 AM (in response to KAdams25)

I am also a 5.8 guard and i had a simular problem. I was always a good shooter but my problem was that my ball handeling was not the greatiest. so to be a better scorer i think you should work on ball handeling (left and right cross over). If iu have fast handels u r really hard to guard.

• Had13 Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 4, 2011
    4. Feb 5, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to KAdams25)

I would talk to your coach and find out what you need to work on. Maybe there are some skills he values more than others that you could work on. It's tough to really tell without actually watching you play

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    5. Feb 7, 2011 10:44 AM (in response to KAdams25)

I am a former college  basketball player and current   basketball skill trainer.  (http:www.theworldofhoops.com)

But  more importantly, I was also a small point guard (only 5'10") who specialized in defense more than scoring.

The most important things for a coach is a player who can play defense, and a player who does not turn the ball over.  The problem is, these things are not as noticeable in the short term.  How often does your coach really get to see you play?  Could his not playing you have anything to do with something other than not scoring?

My suggestion is, Why don't you become so good that he doesn't have a choice but to play you?  It will require a lot of work and discipline, but it can definitely be done!  Dedicate yourself to becoming the best.

Check   out the School of Hoops (link below) on my site "The World of Hoops"  for some great drills, videos, and other information about becoming a  better player, leader, and teammate.

http://www.theworldofhoops.com/school-of-hoops

If you have questions or want to discuss a training  program  feel free to contact me at joe@theworldofhoops.com

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points