Skip navigation

1817 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 5:24 PM by IronMakeover RSS
drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
Nov 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2011 7:54 AM

WSJ Article on Training

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about training time and relationships.  Check it out (here), then discuss.

I think that balancing duties at home and work and training is a complicated equation, and one that we all have struggled with at times.  I have yet to find the perfect balance, but I always know where which side to err on.  That said, I would really like to do some longer and more intense races in the next couple years, so I'll have to figure out how to maximize one without hurting the others.  When I trained for my first triathlon (a 70.3), I made some mistakes and didn't use my time very wisely.  We'll find out this year if I've gotten any better at figuring out the balance!

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 3, 2011 11:02 AM (in response to drmiles85)
    Re: WSJ Article on Training

I've seen the tri-widow/widower thing before.  where a SO gets ticked off about their partners training  and raises a ruckus about time away training (actually i assume it is more than that but tri usually is obvious scapegoat) and I've seen people choose training over their SO.  Me amd Mrs. H have had several 'talks' about my training and it tooka lot of talking to figure out how to balance family, work and training,  When i started training for my first ironman I even put together a mock shcedule and an agreement on # of dates we would have and what time i'd be back on the weekends to help assure her I wasn't going to disapear while training.

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    2. Feb 4, 2011 12:27 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

My wife and I are going to talk about this in our next Inner Circle podcast from http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com , since we both train and this has certainly been an issue in the past. That podcast should be available later this week, provided we can record it tonight after the kids go to bed!

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• ChristopherM of Boston Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 23, 2010
    3. Feb 5, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to drmiles85)

I think that as triathletes (or marathoners, or cyclers, or whatever your endurance sport of choice may be), sometimes we glorify our training and lose sight of what it is we’re actually doing.

When you push all the BS aside, it all boils down to this: it’s a hobby.  Just like a sports fantasy league, or rebuilding cars, or playing video games in the basement, training and racing is simply a hobby.  Sure, it has some positive side effects, like staying healthy, but you don’t need to train 25 hours a week for an Ironman just to keep in shape.

A lot of triathletes I know look at training as their job, their duty, something they HAVE to do.  And they defend people Jordan Waxman (from the WSJ article).  But how would we look upon or neighbor, friend or spouse if they dedicated as much time, attention and money to their ‘lesser’ hobbies as we do out?  If Waxman was an internet poker player instead, would we still defend him?

We’re all entitled to live our lives as we see fit, and we deserve interests and hobbies.  I think we, as endurance athletes, have picked a particular good one.  But when you expect the lives of those around you to revolve around your hobby, you’ve lost sight of the big picture.

-Christopher M

Boston, MA

http://triumphtriathlon.com/blog/

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

well said Chris

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Feb 7, 2011 5:24 PM (in response to drmiles85)

Hey DrMiles & the group!

I think the best part of that article is the headline. :-)

My husband and I have also managed to train for IM-distance events & have kids. I think endurance training/other hobbies/full-time jobs can provide moments/months for both spouses to connect, affirm each other, and work cooperatively. But if it's all one-sided, there will be issues.

Ken and I rotate training for longer events. We talk about smaller issues or problems before they get bigger and we try to hang onto that perspective already mentioned, remembering this is training, it's for fun, triathlon is not our job or our life.

My husband also hunts & early on in our marriage he was a CPA doing public accounting.... talk about a killer combo of time demands!

Enjoy the week everyone,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...