Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1927 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 9:51 AM by jcklngrn RSS
seongbae Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2011 9:11 AM

Mobile app to help with choosing songs while running

Hello,

We are a group of students working on a course project.  For our project, we are creating a mobile application for runners.

The basic concept is that our app will play different songs based on how fast you are running using the built-in accelerometer on iphones, ipods, and android phones.  With our app, you don't have to pre-configure the playlist before running, or constantly hit next to play the right song.

I was just curious what kinds of music you listen to while running and if our app will really help you.  If you could answer following questions for us, it will greatly help us.

1.  How do you create your playlist for running? Do you pre-configure your playlist, play random songs, or just listen to your favorite artist, or albums?
2.  What kind of music do you listen to when running?  Just your favorites, fast/upbeat music, any particular genre such as dance, rock..?
3.  Do you think you would use our application for running?  If not, why not?

Thank you!

Seong Bae
  • Rademachermamma Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008

I am on here searching for hints on good running music. I always hit next, and find I never have the right music. The tunes I like arent what keeps me running. I am always looking for something fast and upbeat- loud so I can't hear me huffing and puffing.

It doesnt matter to me what speed I'm running, I find I push myself harder with faster music.

• Rabidpineappler Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011

To make my playlist I just took the fast-paced songs by my favorite artists and put them on a playlist. I then put the playlist on random and just go. I like any song with a quick pace; strong instrumentals are especially good. I mainly listen to rock, but some hiphop is good as is some dance music. I, personally, wouldn't use an app. It's not because it's not a great idea but my Droid is way too heavy to run with and I greatly prefer my iPod Nano.

• Biggest_T Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. May 31, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to seongbae)
    Re: Mobile app to help with choosing songs while running

1.  I pre-configure my play list before running.  I have three  "running" playlists on my iphone4, each built according to time.  i.e., 35 minutes of music., 45 minutes of music and 60 minutes of music.

2.  If the song is quick paced, so will my run be.  I prefer Alternative/Indie/Electronic and some Heavy Metal/Rock, and even some Pop/Dance/Rap.  Examples in current 35 minute list: Collarbone by Fujiya & Miyago; Gold Guns Girls by Metric; Feel it in my Bones feat Tegan and Sarah by Tiesto; Clocks by Cold Play; Thunderstruck by AC/DC; Eye of the Tiger by Foreigner; Whip My Hair by Willow [Smith] and Britney Spears' Gimme More as remixed by Paul Oakenfold

3.  I'd be very interested in your application, if it worked.  Seems like it would be difficult to meet such a broad spectrum of tastes for a runner who needs her music to run.  

Good luck!

~Tory

~Running. Cheaper than therapy. Safer than drugs. -Me, 2011

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Believe. Achieve. Inspire.

05/14/2011 St. John’s Sunset Run 5k (31:42)(PR)

05/21/2011 Bear Lake Challenge 4mi (41:22)(84/153)(3/10)

05/28/201 Run for the World 5k (30:07)(PR)(62/164)(3/18)

06/18/2011 Gary McAdams 5k (28:00)(144/356)(3/18)(PR)

06/25/2011 Blueberry Bash 5k (29:06)(26/78)(2/21)

08/13/2011 Argonaut 5k (77/117)(30:17)(77/117)(1/4)

09/03/2011 Dolphin Dash 5K (27:50)(56/105)(2/3)(PR)

09/06/2011 Met my 2011 Goal of running 10K (11:39/mi)(PR)

09/24/201 Pensacola Seafood Festival 5K (missed due to injury)

10/01/2011 Superhero 5K (27:32)(PR)(48/148)(3/18)

10/08/2011 Tiger Trot 10k - canceled due to injury

• jcklngrn Amateur 10 posts since
    May 11, 2011

1. I've tried pre-configuring my playlist, playing random songs, and playing full albums. My only criteria is that the songs have a beat that easily fits with my pacing. When I ran my first HM, I preconfigured my playlist to start with some slower ambient music since I knew that the first few miles would be slow anyway, then I just gradually built up the music based on bpm for the remainder of the race. Although, having done this 3 times already, pacing doesn't correlate as well with bpm over longer distances, which kind of make sense.

2. I typically stick with songs that have progressive beats. Cadence.FM has recently been pretty useful for this.

3. Sure! I'd try out your app! I haven't found one yet that integrates well with the Nike+ app (certain OS limitations as well) - so I'm looking forward to checking out yours

Cheers,

Jacklyn

http://about.me/jcklngrn

http://smashrun.com/jacklyn.giron

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points