Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1161 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 5:01 AM by ColoCorredor RSS
BlazerRunner Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 20, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 5, 2011 3:07 PM

First Half Marathon Suggestions

Hey guys!

My name is Emily and I'm 18 years old. I've been running for several years, but I've only done 5k's. I've recently gotten really interested in half marathons and I've been trying to find a good one to do. This will be my first one so I'm not looking for anything too challenging. I live in Birmingham, AL. I'd be willing to go out of state but not more than a 4 or 5 hours drive. Preferably closer : ). I looked at the Atlanta Thanksgiving marathon but read several reviews about how hilly it was. If anyone has any suggestions on any good races they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 7, 2014 5:01 AM (in response to BlazerRunner)
    Re: First Half Marathon Suggestions

HI BlazerRunner!

Congrats on th decision to run your first half-marathon!  And, you are in luck.  The Rock n Roll Marathon Series has just added Birmingham, AL to its list of races, and the first event is slated for this summer. (http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/news/birmingham-alabama-to-host-inaugural-marathon_20905#) Though they have not announced an official race date yet, I'm sure something will come out about this in the next few weeks.

I've done TONS of Rock n Roll events (which have full marathon events, half-marathons, and relay events in every city) and they are so much fun!  I would definitely recommend this for your first race because there is so much excitement and enthusiasm surrounding this event that you will have no problem making it across the finish line.  They have bands located along the race route at every 1 1/2 miles or so, cheerleaders from local highschools, tons of spectators cheering you on, and a great supportive team.  You will love it!  Plus, there's a HUGE party at the finish line :-)

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...