Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5958 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 7:50 PM by flamomof3 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 9, 2011 10:17 AM (in response to 2power)
    Re: Garmin Forerunner

You can't go wrong either way, good luck with your training, Halfs are a great race.  I have 1 in Mar.  Still chasing that elusive BQ hoping for Oct, and then running my daughter 1st with her in 2012.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    16. Feb 9, 2011 11:11 AM (in response to 2power)

I use the the 405cx and absolutely love it!  I think you can accomplish most of what your looking for with any of the Garmin models relative to pacing and distance.  Personally, I used the heart rate monitor all the time the last two years and found it to be a great tool.  Lately though I've kind of migrated back to running by feel a bit more and have gotten away from using the HR monitor.  I still pace most runs with my Garmin but even those I try to get a couple of easy paced runs in just by feel.  There are times that relaxing and just running by feel helps me train without feeling a prisoner to my watch!  The Garmin is a great tool though and I highly recommend it.  I would also recommend getting the model with HR monitor,  you may find that in the future you might use it as a training tool.  It's very interesting on long runs to see your heart rate start to go up before you actually start feeling the physical effects.  Good luck

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    17. Feb 9, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to 2power)

I currently use the Garmin 405CX with the HRM and the foot pod and I love it.  I'm a former Nike+ user and while I found the interface of Nike to be user friendly, the data was typically off by anywhere from .25 to .5 miles for every 5K ran.  I did the Disney Half-Marathon and I can look at the map and even follow my path in to the woods... where I had to drop some fluid.... but it's super-accurate and great for comparing progress.

• StaticZep Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 9, 2010
    18. Feb 9, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to 2power)

Good evening everyone!  I am in the market to purchase a Garmin 305.  I have two neighbors that run a lot.  One has a 305 the other a 405.  They run together all the time and 305 owner says her is more accurate for distance. I believe the 305 (great reviews from a lot of different owners) is the way to go especailly for the money you spend even though it's a lot more bulkier than the 405.

I want to also warn everyone on here -- I tried to purchase a Garmin 305 for a reasonable price off of ebay recently.  There is a seller that goes by "jrodmerchantz" that is listing the Garmins left and right.  DO NOT buy from this guy -- he's a scammer (just check his feedback).  I am working on getting him removed from ebay.  Just wanted to warn any of you who might see a deal on ebay for a Garmin 305 (like I did and several others unfortunately) and come across this scammer. 

Indianapolis Monumental Marathon 11/05/11 - 3:50:19

Indianapolis Half Marathon 10/15/11 - 1:44:59

Nobesville 10-Miler (NHS) 09/24/11 - 1:16:07

The Melt Down (Shelbyville) - 3 5Ks 07/16/11 - 1) 22:59 2) 24:30 3) 24:10

Carmel Marathon 06/11/11 - 3:56:02 (a hot one!!!)

Indy 500 Mini Marathon 05/07/11 - 1:48

Indy 500 Training Series 15K 04/09/11 - 1:11:41

Sam Costa Half (Carmel) 03/26/11 - 1:45

Indy 500 Training Series 10K 03/05/11 - 46:21

Polar Bear Doubler 3 & 5 Mile 02/19/11 - 3M - 22:00, 5M - 38:10

Indy 500 Training Series 5K 02/12/11 - 22:01

Race to the New Year 5K 01/08/11 - 23:59

Jingle Bell 5K 12/11/10 - 23:23

Turkey Trot - Noblesville 5K 11/25/10 - 24:00

Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon 11/06/10 - 1:58

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    19. Feb 9, 2011 6:33 PM (in response to 2power)

I have a Garmin 305 and don't know how I ever ran without it. I definetly recommend getting the Heart Rate Strap reguardless of which model you settle upon. It helps you monitor your heart rate while running. I have the foot pod it is also a nice option, but mine came out of synch with the Forerunner and needs to be synced again. I have asked a few people about this and I seem to be the only person who has had that problem.

Once you buy a Forerunner, you seem to think that your Forerunner is the best and that you cannot live without it.

I have a blog dedicated to my journey from an overweight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner. I recently posted a reveiw of my Forerunner on my blog, you can check it out there. Feel free to post any comments and let me know which Forerunner you settled upon and why.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    20. Feb 10, 2011 6:24 AM (in response to Art Davis)

Great blog Art.

Be careful buying a watch from anyone on ebay.  A lot of legitimate sellers and watches on ebay, but enough illegitimate ones that make buying a watch on ebay too risky for my taste.  Again, I've had a lot of good experiences, but I had a few bad ones.  So try to buy from a licensed retailer before going the ebay route.  In fact, you can find many watches from licensed retailers at almost the same price as on ebay.  In most cases, the increased cost from a licensed retailer is minimal and worth the extra guarantee.

Good luck!

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Feb 10, 2011 7:40 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Surfing_Vol wrote:

vcackerman wrote:

The 305 does a great job on pace and distance.   Most of my 5Ks are within 3.1 to 3.15 miles since I normally try and cut corners when I can.   My only 'issue' with it is the size of the darn thing.  It's tough to use in the winter with a glove and long coat.   I barely notice it in the summer.

Didn't you notice the extra-long watch band that came with the 305?  Put that on Garmin and strap the watch on the outside of your coat.  Works like a charm.  Of course I'll bet that you threw the extra-long watch band away.

That's what that was.  I have it around here somewhere.  I assumed it was an extra band if this one broke.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    22. Feb 10, 2011 9:25 AM (in response to vcackerman)

vcackerman wrote:

That's what that was.  I have it around here somewhere.  I assumed it was an extra band if this one broke.

You need to update your signature line -- didn't you run the turkey trot already?

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• firstcampgirl Pro 73 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010
    23. Feb 10, 2011 11:40 AM (in response to 2power)

I have the Garmin 305, I am a new runner and ran my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago. I love it. I agree with other posters that is it nice to run without it at times.  It is awesome to log on to the garmin program and see my total miles listed. Also, shows how your average pace is changing. I got a great deal on Amazon, $138 shipped.

Newbie (wannabe) Runner

5k- Nov 20, 2010 38 mins

5k- Dec 7, 2010 36 mins

Snapple High Could Half Marathon 3:15

Half Marathon, Shamrock- March 20, 2011

Cherry Blossom 10 miler April 3, 2011

Warrior Dash May 21, 2011

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Feb 10, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Surfing_Vol wrote:

vcackerman wrote:

You need to update your signature line -- didn't you run the turkey trot already?

I'm still running it - should finish it by the next one.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

• New Runner 2008 Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 10, 2008
    25. Feb 10, 2011 1:35 PM (in response to 2power)

I got the 305 for Christmas in 2009 and absolutely love it.  It has a few more bells and whistles than the 205, including a heart rate monitor, which some people use as a training tool over pace and distance (I don't, but I have triathlete friends who do).  I've never had an issue with battery life and it seems pretty durable.

I use the 305 whenever I run outside and have used it in about three or four 5Ks and have found it to be extremely accurate.  I find that when I train I become fixated on the pace readout, which can be good or bad.  The distance and pace indicators are brutally accurate.  There is no fudging your statistics with the Garmin.  I like the fact that the displays are fairly large and clear as my 40+ eyeballs don't see things up close like they used to.

My only criticisms are that the 305 is kind of bulky and once the readout froze and I had to do a soft reset.  Also, once in awhile it takes several minutes to link up with a satellite, but these are minor quibbles.  I noticed the 405 at Costco last week and it looks really nice, more of a watch look than the 305, but also more expensive.

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    26. Feb 10, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to 2power)

I have the Garmin 305. I love it b/c it has so many tools that help in my running. I usually keep it on the pace, time, distance and heart rate. I do not find the heart rate monitor to be a problem at all. I'm a smaller runner and I just tuck it right under the band of my sports bra. It can be as tight or as loose as you want it.  I recently returned to running after being off for 6 months healing from a lower lumbar fusion. I used the heart rate monitor to help me determine how hard to work and where my conditioning was so that I wasn't over working. Over the last month I've seen my heart rate go down nicely and am able to run longer and harder. The watch is bulky but I really don't notice it at all. You can even set it to start when you start running and stop when you stop. You really don't have to think about it at all.

The cost is minimal for all that it offers. When I bought my Garmin a few years ago the heart rate monitor came w/it at no extra cost.  From some of the posts I've seen here I guess it no longer does. I spent about $150 for my Garmin a few years ago. I can't imagine they would cost more than that now.

I love it, love it, love it. I highly recommend the 305.

Live, love, run

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    27. Feb 10, 2011 8:12 PM (in response to 2power)

Okay, I think its safe to assume from the 2 pages of posts that everyone seems to love the Garmin305.  I can't argue and absolutely agree.  Its a bit bulky, sure, heart monitor?  TMI.  I woudn't care if my heart exploded if I found my Garmin telling me I was approaching a 4 minute mile....  He died doing what he loved to do....wow, but look at the workout that took him out!

But, I digress.  I haven't seen one post about what software anyone recommends loading the Garmin data into.  To me that's the actually the most important part...  Just saying

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    28. Feb 10, 2011 8:24 PM (in response to 2power)

I love my watch but hate it when I forget to check the charge and it dies after two miles of a killer seven mile run!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points