Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1115 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2011 10:55 AM by Surfing_Vol RSS
downey542 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2011 10:21 AM

Any recommedations if your feet are different sizes?

I just got fitted for shoes, again and apparently my left foot is a half size smaller then my right. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this issue since they will not sell you different sizes? Do they make inserts for this? When I tried the shoes on and got fitted they felt great. I have worn this brand (brooks) before and love them.I did two runs in these shoes and now have blisters and sore calves from them. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

1.  Run barefoot (but that's a whole different issue, isn't it?).  That said, I wouldn't be inclined to try inserts.

2.  Buy shoes to fit the larger foot, and make sure that you have ample room in the toe box.  I typically buy my running shoes a whole size larger than my street shoes.  The thumb test (make sure that there is a thumb's width between the end of your longest toe and then end of the toe box) is tried and true.

3.  I strongly doubt that the calf pain is the result of the shoe size.  It could be that you are running faster or using more of a forefoot or midfoot strike, which is associated with calf pain until your legs adjust to the footstrike.

4.  Are you getting blisters on both feet or only one foot?  Where on the foot are you getting blister?  Are you wearing proper running socks (i.e., synthetic or merino wool)?  Are the socks the right size?

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

I don't think that the shift to neutral shoes is causing the blister.

Try adjusting the laces on your left shoe to make the shoe more snug at the forefoot.  If you want to try different lacing patterns, here's a link to a Runner's World article showing different lacing patterns: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

You might also switch socks.  It took me years to find socks that didn't give me blisters (just because a sock says that it is "blister free" doesn't make it so).  I like SmartWool socks and Thor-Lo Experias (the silk-wool blend, which you can find on the website).  While both brands are more expensive than other running socks, I swear by them for blister prevention.

Good luck!

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points