Skip navigation

3928 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2011 2:43 PM by kd35fan RSS
Killercross5 Amateur 8 posts since
Sep 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2011 7:43 PM

Point Guard Tips vs. a 2-3 Zone Defense?

Hi. Tips on beating a 2-3 Zone defense? Like how to drive in after beating the man up top, but the big man in the back is waiting for you? Any tips? or how to make good passes? Any go to moves you guys use that help you out a lot? I like to use the pull-up but i have a tendency to over shoot when someone is in my face, but i am deadly from midrange and closer uncovered. Anyways, thanks in advance!

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    1. Feb 9, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to Killercross5)
    Re: Point Guard Tips vs. a 2-3 Zone Defense?

REALLY good question. I'm glad you asked. Look to split the front two defenders by driving in. Then kick it to the wings. The way we run our 2-3 offense is our post players go short corner and then the post player on the opposite side goes near-high corner. Look at college/NBA games and see how the point guard works the 2-3. Hope I can help.

• aal1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    2. Feb 9, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to Killercross5)

drive and kick it out, or take the jumper.

• tradinskills4us Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    3. Feb 10, 2011 8:52 PM (in response to Killercross5)

u cud work da ball around, drive past the backcourt defenders and shoot a free throw jumper or dump it down low to your big man if da center comes up to defend you but sumone like me wud shoot a three comin up court so dey can get out that zone n play man lol

• Had13 Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 4, 2011
    4. Feb 11, 2011 12:07 AM (in response to Killercross5)

you wouldn't run a 2-3 offense against a 2-3 zone. Check out the "overload" offense against the 2-3.  The strength of the 2-3 is obviously the low post so penetrating on your own may not always be the best idea. If you can get to the free throw line and make a post defender come out at you then you've created a great oppertunity for a backdoor cut and easy lay up if youre wings are cutting baseline.  Also making an initial pass to a curl at the freethrow line can give yoru 2 or 3 guard an open jumper or the option of kicking it back out to you for a 3 if they defense sucks down.  Work on the free throw line jumper and your coach won't ever tell you this but if you can hit a 3 from about 5 feet back of the line it will be open all game long if they are running a 2-3. The defender won't pick you up early enough.  If you want a good example check out Jimmer Ferdet from BYU. You can't play a 2-3 against the guy cause he's deadly from 30 ft out

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    5. Feb 12, 2011 5:53 AM (in response to Killercross5)

Ooops, one thing I should have pointed out is ball reversal. Reverse the ball. This will get you open threes, and it will wear down the defense.

• APHoops Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011
    6. Feb 12, 2011 7:57 AM (in response to Killercross5)

You have to make a zone pay...punish them by getting into gaps with the ball and dropping it off to open teammates.  Ball faking is key when going against a zone.  Ball fake the one defender and then shoot the gap with a quick first step....if no one steps up knock down that midrange shot, if they step up make sure you locate the open man.  No need to get fancy or try and force the issue against a zone though.  If you knock down a couple of deep shots they will press up, creating larger gaps in their zone which will allow you to penetrate easier and break down the zone.  Another really good shot to have against the bigs in any situation is a floater...not a runner off of one foot, but a jump stop floater so you control you body.

Cheers.

• kd35fan Pro 92 posts since
    Jan 30, 2010
    7. Feb 12, 2011 2:43 PM (in response to Killercross5)

attacking and spitting the defense is critical. use your body to shield the ball, and dont get it stolen! once you score on them a couple of times, then kick it out to your 3pt shooters. if you do this well and make buckets combined with playing solid defense, you will beat almost any team.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points