Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1792 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2011 5:53 PM by lenzlaw RSS
ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
Feb 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2011 10:39 AM

How realistic is a 9 min mile pace for doing 10k/10k/5k (relay)

I know there's a pretty big range of runners here so I'm just asking in general. My legs for the relay probably break down to about running a 10K/10K/5K, but not necessarily in that order. I will have an average of 5-6 hours maybe inbetween my legs... might be longer but I'm not sure. Most of my training runs I'm hitting around 9 average whether I run a 10K, a 5K, or just 2 miles. I still have about 2 months before the race so I'm hoping to speed up a little. I just don't want to overestimate what I'm capable of nor kill myself.

For those who estimate or figure out race paces often, do you just take your average of your runs up to that point and use that? I'm hesitant to use anything less than 9 unless I consistently finish quicker than that regardless of distance for several weeks. Thanks!

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I would think during a race you will have a spread of at least 30 sec a mile between what you run a 5K at and what you run a 10K at.  My pace for races is something like 6:40 for a 5K and 7:10-7:15 for a 10K.  I would recommend a roller to roll your legs after each leg of your run to help get the lactic acid out of your muscles.  Good luck sounds fun

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010

I think that's a reasonable expectation.  Just like what's already been mentioned.  Take good care of those legs and feet after each leg.  Get your stretching in as soon as you finish to gprevent quick soreness.  Personally, I would take it easy, but try to keep moving a little.  I usually tighten up once I sit down for an extended amount of time (1-2hours)

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008

I started a blog to help answer questions such as yours.

I would say if you trained properly, that it would be a reasonable goal.

I am 52 years old and started running in 2007 to lose weight, so far I have lost 60lbs.

I am currently training for my 4th full marathon and my training pace now on days that I do 5k's and 10k's is right at 9 min miles.

Check out my blog I have training plans for both 5K's and 10K's as well as before and after pics.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

How long is your long run and what is your long run pace?  You'll be doing 15 miles over about 12 hours.  Being in that ballpark for your long run would be helpful, but don't overdo it to get there if you're not there already.  You don't give any recent race times which would be helpful in figuring out how fast you can go.  And your practice of training at or near your race pace doesn't help for prediction . . . unless you're doing, say, 10 or 12 at that pace for your long run.  The breaks will be a mixed blessing since they give you time to stiffen up.  Try to walk around some to keep loose.  Given all that, I would run a little conservatively for the first leg, maybe 9:15 - 9:30.  Then evaluate as you get ready for your second leg and pace yourself by how you feel.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points